Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

violence in sport

edited August 2005 in Buddhism Basics
Hello everyone. This is my first post and I have so many questions but I'll start with this one. I have recently started playing American football. Can violence, even as part of a sport, be considered reasonable within Buddhist philosopy? There is no deliberate intention to cause harm to anyone but accidents happen and everyone involved accepts the risks. Thank you for any advice.

Comments

• edited August 2005
    I dont think there is a problem as long as you can keep yourself from having the intent to hurt someone. Having played football myself it is very easy to slip into the thinking of that person hit me hard and hurt me so Im going try and hurt them.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited August 2005
    When I used to do taekwon-do quite a bit - I worked out with a bunch of good people.

With a couple of these people - we would go all out on each other in full-contact sparring.

There were many, many times I've taken hard shot that either bruised or hurt really, really bad.

There were many time I delivered shots that really, really hurt someone.

But - we were all friends and enjoyed what we were doing. When I took those hard shots from someone, I knew they didn't do it intentionally. It was an accident. So it was okay. I know when I accidentally connected with someone too hard (and mind you, my intent was to strike them -just not strike them to the point where it really, really hurt) I didn't mean it intentionally and felt bad.

But, we're doing a "contact" activity which means you're going to hit and be hit.

Lastly, this group of people that did this - through this process of full-contact - it seemed like we became even closer.

So, I think "right intention" plays a big part of "violent" sports. If you're playing the game, and you keep it as a game and you're not striking anyone in anger or malice - I don't think it's bad or adds negative karma to your life.

-bf
  • edited August 2005
    Thanks guys. That's been bugging me. Appreciated :-)
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited August 2005
    The Shoalin Monks who are also Buddhist train in Kung Fu all day long. They hit and get hit all the time. Intention is the main focus.