Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Never Meditated

edited February 2010 in Meditation
Ok...I have never meditated..or tried. Can someone please point me in the direction of what i need to do..or an explanation... I know there are many forms...I just want something to start with..to get my feet wet so to say..

Thanks

Comments

• comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Sit in a quiet place void of distractions. Get relaxed. Breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth. Start counting from 1 to 10 in your mind. When you get to 10 start counting backwards. When all of other thoughts are gone then stop thinking about the counting. When a thought comes back start counting again. It takes a lot of practice. Do this for a few minutes at first. Then build up. Take everything one step at a time.
  • edited February 2010
    does it matter how I sit?
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Hi tdapple,

I would strongly recommend these two sources:

http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe.html

and

http://video.google.de/videoplay?docid=-3529760254352711693#

Meditation has to do with the mind. There is even walking meditation. You should sit or lie down in a comfortable position. You could try out a half-lotus position (Google) and see how that works for you.
    edited February 2010
    tdapple wrote: »

Not in the least. Some people have physical ailments and can only sit a certain way. It's a mental exercise. I've done it on my back and driving and walking and sitting.
  • PaxPax
    edited February 2010
    Not in the least. Some people have physical ailments and can only sit a certain way. It's a mental exercise. I've done it on my back and driving and walking and sitting.
    Absolutely, I've become quite adept at meditating while cooking or doing the dishes. :)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Most meditation teachers don't want you to too strongly associate meditation with posture. As its a mental 'touch' rather than physical discipline or skill. That being said there is a strong link between the body and mind and you can have a meditation that feels better (less suffering) if you follow some posture rules.

I think someone linked you to a posture. I'll put my own link rather not a link but a book. Pema Chodrons when things fall appart, chapter 4, has a description of formless meditation.
  • edited February 2010
    Hi tdapple,

I would recommend that you watch a series of excellent short meditation videos by Ajahn Jayasaro of the Thai Forest Tradition on You Tube.

This is the first one - Buddhist Meditation (1), which is an introduction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd7a9Ur2x0o

Kind regards,

Dazzle
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Actually, many great teachers have affirmed that a good posture is important to meditation. The most important point is to sit in a stable posture with a straight back. Then you can begin counting your breaths. You should breathe naturally and simply note your breaths by counting them. If your mind wanders and you lose count (and you will), simply resume counting at one. When you make it to twenty one, stop and rest for a while, at least a minute, and then resume counting at one. Stop before you get tired and discouraged. The point is to make the practice a positive experience. The purpose of the practice is simply to do the practice well. It is much like practicing a piece of music. Out of the ordinary experiences should be regarded with indifference. They are irrelevant to the practice of meditation.
  • edited February 2010

Its always a good idea to seek an offline Buddhist meditation class if that's possible and if there are any within a reasonable travelling distance. It's helpful to be part of an offline group and to be able to get feedback from a meditation teacher about one's practice.

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I love your new avatar, Dazz. It's mesmerizing...
  • ManiMani Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Dazzle wrote: »

Its always a good idea to seek an offline Buddhist meditation class if that's possible and if there are any within a reasonable travelling distance. It's helpful to be part of an offline group and to be able to get feedback from a meditation teacher about one's practice.

Couldn't agree more. If possible, I think that this is a wise approach to take. Besides, there are many variations of methods and approaches, which may be more suitable to some, but not to others.

I too enjoy looking at the new avatar, Dazzle!
  • ManiMani Veteran
    edited February 2010

Yes, I would agree that some may only be able to sit a certain way,but for some practices and methods, posture is actually somewhat important.

Though we can still call it meditation, per say, I think there is a big difference between practice on a cushion lets say, and practicing while driving or doing mundane things.
    edited February 2010
    Mani wrote: »
    Yes, I would agree that some may only be able to sit a certain way,but for some practices and methods, posture is actually somewhat important.

Though we can still call it meditation, per say, I think there is a big difference between practice on a cushion lets say, and practicing while driving or doing mundane things.

Why?
  • edited February 2010
    I too enjoy looking at the new avatar, Dazzle

Glad you both like the avatar Boo and Mani !

:)

• Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited February 2010
    tdapple wrote: »
    Ok...I have never meditated..or tried. Can someone please point me in the direction of what i need to do..or an explanation... I know there are many forms...I just want something to start with..to get my feet wet so to say..

Thanks

Here are some meditation instructions

The best way is just to start it, keep doing it, familiarity breeds possibilities.

Posture is important for formal meditation. Some might say not, but the strength of a formal posture cannot be underestimated FWIW. And if you are meditating, one might as well meditate.

With best wishes,

Abu
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010
    What does 'FWIW' mean, Abu? I can't figure it out....
    edited February 2010
    (for what it's worth)

edited February 2010
    Has anyone ever farted while meditating? Can you imagine the relaxation and the clarity and the silence and then faaaarrrrrrttttttttt. If you try to ignore it the smell will start to get at you or you end up laughing. What if you are in a meditation group and someone rips one?
    edited February 2010
    I've been in sesshins where the guys are farting. :)
    edited February 2010
    That's funny.
    edited February 2010
    Not so funny if you're sitting next to the one or two I imagine ! Fortunately those times I was across the room and thus not so subject to the uh ... bodily actions. That said, it's sesshin so we don't move (physically) regardless. Not always the easiest discipline but a good one IMO. :) _/\_
    edited February 2010
    Glad you both like the avatar Boo and Mani !

:bigclap: :vimp:
  • edited February 2010
    Posture is important for formal meditation.
    Whatever happened to `Form is emptiness` :poke::buck:
  • edited February 2010
    :bigclap: :vimp:

Does that mean you like it too, Abu dear ? ;)

edited February 2010
    Does that mean you like it too, Abu dear ? ;)

Of course, dearest Dazzle, it definitely caught my eye ;)

And seriously, it's dazzling :)

Friend I hope you are well. It's good to see you again.

:type:
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Brigid wrote: »

I was going to say the same :thumbsup:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010
    (for what it's worth)

Ohhhhh!! NOW I get it. Duh....

Thanks Abu!!
    edited February 2010
    Brigid wrote: »
    Ohhhhh!! NOW I get it. Duh....

Thanks Abu!!

You got it ! :thumbsup: :canflag:
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Hello Tim. I see that you live in Texas. Now I know enough about Texas to know that it is very large, but I would try to find your nearest centre where Buddhist meditation is taught, and ask for hands on instruction.
    This might seem an odd reply , but I think that websites are very good in many ways, but I dont think that they represent a good way to learn meditation, and I say this for several reasons. The first is that you simply dont know a lot of the time how much experience the people who reply actually have. They might post a lot but not actually practice, or may only have been practising a few years or even months. Secondly its true that " one showing is worth a thousand tellings" in this as in many things. You cant beat hands on.
    Thirdly, an experienced teacher of meditation can often arrive at a view of your particular strengths and needs by talking to you and observing you.
    You may have to try more than one teacher before finding one that suits, but its by FAR the best way to learn meditation.