Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

using the word "I"

RichardHRichardH Veteran
edited March 2010 in Meditation
As Buddhists we like to be non-egocentric, or at least maybe feel like its best to move away from ego based language. Yet , If we are going to be humble then we need to speak from our own practice and this requires 'I" and "Me" (I understand.. My practice is..). When we communicate not using "I" and "MY" it often conveys a presumption of objectivity ( It is.... Practice is...) that can house a stealthy whopper of a self view.

I met guy, a Buddhist who was trying to eradicate I and Me from his language, and apart from getting hung up on form, the result sounded acutely selfconscious which was not the intended effect.

Any thoughts on this ?

Comments

• edited February 2010
    I think when the word "I" is used in language, it does not necessarily mean ego. It means something like "The sensation memories available to the mind of the human body that is speaking" ("I believe that bla bla bla") or simply "The human body that is speaking" ("I'm going to walk over there").
    Idk.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited February 2010
    "I" and "mine" and such are just words. There is no inherent issue with them. It's just conventional language used to clearly communicate ideas in the real world. Even the Buddha used such words. A person who refuses to is greatly misunderstanding anatta and the cause of dukkha. In fact there's probably even more clinging behind such a view.

DN 9: "These are merely names, expressions, turns of speech, designations in common use in the world, which the Tathaagata uses without misapprehending them."

SN 1.25: "
    [Deva:]
    He who's an Arahant, his work achieved,
    Free from taints, in final body clad,
    That monk still might use such words as "I."
    Still perchance might say: "They call this mine."
    Would such a monk be prone to vain conceits?

[The Blessed One:]
    Bonds are gone for him without conceits,
    All delusion's chains are cast aside:
    Truly wise, he's gone beyond such thoughts.1
    That monk still might use such words as "I,"
    Still perchance might say: "They call this mine."
    Well aware of common worldly speech,
    He would speak conforming to such use.2"
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I try to elimate vein thoughts. Buddha said; I am, I am not, I will be, I will not be are vein thoughts which is a sickness and once all are eliminated no desire arises.
  • edited February 2010
    So basically the word "I" is not the problem, the problem lies with that to which you refer by "I".
  • edited February 2010
    Hmm... I think that when you do not qualify yourself in a statement of opinion and such, you're stating it in a more factual way, thus, creating a more egotisical statement. For instance "I think most buddhist believe..." is different than "Most buddhist believe..." So with the statement without 'I' or 'my' it is really hard to distinguish that it is an opinion of one, rather than an opinion of all/ a fact. So rather than just having the power to qualify yourself in a statement with 'I' or 'my' you're assuming the power to qualify something as fact or a widely taken opinion. Is that not egotisical? Hehe.

I do not think that the word 'I' or 'my' is necesarilly egotistical, maybe in certain contexts, but it is, in itself, needed in order to refute egotism.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited February 2010
    The Buddha has said in the Brahmajala Sutta that using words "I", "myself" and the like is done merely for communication purposes but using them does not intend that the user believes in the notion of a self. Giving too much emphasis on not using these words is not going to make us any more enlightened or closer to realizing Nibbana me thinks

I will quote the sutta if I get any time today.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited February 2010
    DN 9: "These are merely names, expressions, turns of speech, designations in common use in the world, which the Tathaagata uses without misapprehending them."

Is this from the Brahmajala sutta btw?
  • edited February 2010
    Trying to be non-egocentric is egocentric.

I hope someone realizes this.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Trying to be non-egocentric is egocentric.

I hope someone realizes this.

Well you have a point here. Which is why I walys think the non-self concept is not something to be practiced in day to day life. I don't think we can understand non-self by that. If so most of us should be enlightened by now. It is something to be "experienced" in meditation.
  • edited February 2010
    You cannot practice what you are. It's like a blade of grass telling another blade of grass "you should only be a blade of grass when you meditate, its too cumbersome to be yourself right now."

When we are encouraged to look at "I" it is to examine the nature of thought, not the thought of I itself.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    Is this from the Brahmajala sutta btw?

No, it's from the Potthapada Sutta (DN 9).
    Well you have a point here. Which is why I walys think the non-self concept is not something to be practiced in day to day life. I don't think we can understand non-self by that. If so most of us should be enlightened by now. It is something to be "experienced" in meditation.
    If you don't carry the realization of not-self into daily life then it's utterly useless. There's a difference between saying to yourself "hey, dats not-self!" and never clinging to it as such to begin with though.
    So basically the word "I" is not the problem, the problem lies with that to which you refer by "I".

Not really. The problem lies in clinging to that which you refer to by "I."
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited February 2010
    To be adept at non-I is important.

However, ultimately, the "I" and "mine" are empty, merely sankhara or elements.

When one cannot penetrate this truth, the mind is trapped in 'white-darkness'.

When effort is made to avoid the "I" in the inappropriate situation, it is though it is regarded as something real.
    One neither fabricates nor mentally fashions for the sake of becoming or un-becoming. This being the case, one is not sustained by anything in the world (does not cling to anything in the world). Unsustained, one is not agitated. Unagitated, one is totally unbound right within. One discerns that 'Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world.'

The Buddha
    It is important to have a properly functioning personality. 'Personality" is just empty functionalness; just nature.

:)
  • FyreShamanFyreShaman Veteran
    edited February 2010
    'I' and 'you' are words capable of causing some emotional upset on forums, whilst using the impersonal 'one' removes the self-cherishing element which is so often misunderstood as ad hominem rather than a conventional way to express oneself.

'I think you should probably focus less on yourself and more on the scriptures' . . . .can easily lead to a clash between the 'I' and the 'You'.

'One should probably focus less on oneself and more on the scriptures' . . . may be less likely to be misconstrued as it is 'de-personalised'. ;)
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I met guy, a Buddhist who was trying to eradicate I and Me from his language, and apart from getting hung up on form, the result sounded acutely selfconscious which was not the intended effect.
    'I' and 'you' are words capable of causing some emotional upset on forums, whilst using the impersonal 'one' removes the self-cherishing element which is so often misunderstood as ad hominem rather than a conventional way to express oneself.
    Sounds like a lot of repression to me. If not using a couple of words lead anybody to enlightenment we would all reach Nirvana during meal time (considering we don't speak while we eat :lol:).

I think if you want to you language as your ally use right speech, you know, no false, divisive, abuse speech and idle chatter. What makes you say such things is precisely your sense of self, and it is quite possible to hurt someone profoundly without saying any "I" or "mine" or "your".
    edited February 2010
    Sounds like a lot of repression to me. If not using a couple of words lead anybody to enlightenment we would all reach Nirvana during meal time (considering we don't speak while we eat :lol:).
    /quote]

On forums, intention is sometimes masked by incorrect use of such words.
    Every act may help us towards enlightenment, or be an obstruction to it.

Even if 'you' as a word is only lightly brushed against in a comment, what follows may be a reaction driven entirely by attachment to the 'I'.

AND WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE CALLING REPRESSED? ! :mad:

See? LOL :):lol:
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited February 2010
    AND WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE CALLING REPRESSED? !
    Then that is not the speaker's issue but the recipient's, and a good opportunity for their own practice.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited February 2010

If you don't carry the realization of not-self into daily life then it's utterly useless. There's a difference between saying to yourself "hey, dats not-self!" and never clinging to it as such to begin with though.

Mundus, the point here is this. You can practice not clinging to the ego concept all your day and sure it will help ease your suffering day to day. I have tried that and yes it feels comforting. But is that the real thing? I don't think so. When someone you love dies you will still cry and feel a lot of pain because you are still attached to them and you are attached to yourself that you need their love. When someone scolded you, you will still get annoyed. You will still feel anger, pain, grief and suffering when specific incidences happen. You will see that suffering will still be there caused due to suttle defilement.

Thus practicing non-self day to day sure feels better but that is not the real emancipation or enlightenment. You are unenlightened with suttle defilement until the point you experience non-self in meditation and attain Nibbana

I am not saying not to carry the "realization of not-self into daily life". All I'm saying is you cannot see the real thing by just doing that. Enlightenment is a meditative experience as I understand.
    edited February 2010
    Then that is not the speaker's issue but the recipient's, and a good opportunity for their own practice.

That is of course the case, but that should not mean that one uses language carelessly or intentionally which upsets others, as we are not yet perfect in our equanimity either as writers or readers on web forums - or that's my experience so far. ;)
  • edited February 2010
    "I" is a tool like your hand.
    you can't just cut it off.

just know that
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    edited February 2010
    As Buddhists we like to be non-egocentric, or at least maybe feel like its best to move away from ego based language. Yet , If we are going to be humble then we need to speak from our own practice and this requires 'I" and "Me" (I understand.. My practice is..). When we communicate not using "I" and "MY" it often conveys a presumption of objectivity ( It is.... Practice is...) that can house a stealthy whopper of a self view.

Any thoughts on this ?
    What can a man who just found out about buddhism say about that matter ?? Well, I've tried not to use these words , but it was a complete failure. Some people can, some people can't. In this society, it's normal to use those words, to indicate yourself, or an object that belongs to you. It is, let's say just impossible to live a day without using them. ;)
    edited February 2010
    What can a man who just found out about buddhism say about that matter ?? Well, I've tried not to use these words , but it was a complete failure. Some people can, some people can't. In this society, it's normal to use those words, to indicate yourself, or an object that belongs to you. It is, let's say just impossible to live a day without using them. ;)

Changes within need not result in an outwardly odd appearance or strange use of language. When conventional language is appropriate, use it. But you don't have to believe the 'I' exists, nor cherish it, in order to do so.

Of course, it also works in reverse - eccentric dress and behaviour is no indication of change within. I kept having to tell one of my students that a black cloak and hat did not make him Orson Welles. LOL :)

It would be a little strange if we all followed Aleister Crowley's example and cut ourselves each time we used the word 'I'.
  • edited February 2010
    i think it's a good idea to inquire who and what whenever you say "i" or "me" or "my" and look for that "i"
  • edited February 2010
    For me I am trying to practice mindfulness of speech, so that I can try to be sure that what I actually say is what I really wanted to say in that moment and that my choice of words truly reflects that conscious thought process, rather than a hidden agenda of my ego.
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Yeshe wrote: »
    Changes within need not result in an outwardly odd appearance or strange use of language. When conventional language is appropriate, use it. But you don't have to believe the 'I' exists, nor cherish it, in order to do so.

Of course, it also works in reverse - eccentric dress and behaviour is no indication of change within. I kept having to tell one of my students that a black cloak and hat did not make him Orson Welles. LOL :)

It would be a little strange if we all followed Aleister Crowley's example and cut ourselves each time we used the word 'I'.

Yeah, I guess changes within that manifest outwards in some odd appearance or strange use of language=hypocrisy.
    But to not use the word 'I' at least for an hour can mean that either you want to do the impossible, either you've read so many books that you know how to avoid using a very frequent word by covering it with tons of other words.
  • edited February 2010
    Trying to avoid these "egocentric" words ( I, me, mine, you, your, they, their, we, our, etc...) in our day-to-day interaction with others is really difficult and I find it most awkward and impracticable. So I don't put too much emphasis in trying to avoid the use of these "egocentric" words; but, instead, I try to be mindfully aware that these words refer to an 'illusion of self' created by the five aggregates... all of which are impermanent and constantly changing. :)
  • edited February 2010
    We are not amused. But seriously, trying to remove "I" from one's speech reminds me of the Ayn Rand book "Anthem".

Peace,

Levi
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited February 2010

Any thoughts on this ?

It seems to me he wants to sound profound. I think worrying about words is just the ego getting bigger. Tell him that "I" think he is being a dummy and that if he was around "ME" I'd make fun of him.
  • edited March 2010
    This is an issue that deals with balancing living practically after having glimpsed the profound. Living in the world and interacting with others requires the use of language in a manner that is easily understood. That means we use first person pronouns for the sake of efficiency.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2010

Any thoughts on this ?

Language can be helpful - perhaps not in communication with others but with mindfulness, noting what arises. So if we notice a feeling of anger arising, it might be better to think "anger has arisen" than to think "I feel angry". It means we don't identify so strongly with the anger.

P

P
  • edited March 2010
    Richard,

When you speak with another, you are oblidged to make yourself understood. In this world, where most people believe they are the ego, and the language grew up around this belief, you use the word I as both convenient and efficient.

This is similar to speaking French, when if France, to a Frenchman.

Would speaking French make you a French citizen? “Of course not.” ; ^ )

I don’t believe Buddha wanted us to fight with our environment, to no purpose, but rather to adapt in a wise way while not falling into it or identifying with it in a wrongful manner.

Not saying ‘I’ will not extricate us from the ego, any more than putting on mommy/daddy’s clothes as a young child turned us into mommy/daddy or made us an adult. ; ^ )

If it were only that easy, wouldn’t it be grand? : ^ )

Warm Regards,
    S9
  • edited March 2010
    Now-is-reality,

N: I do not think that the word 'I' or 'my' is necessarily egotistical, maybe in certain contexts, but it is, in itself, needed in order to refute egotism.

S9: Just curious:
    How do the words ‘I’ and ‘my’ refute ego, in your opinion? That is an interesting idea, but not one that I can get my head around without your help.

Warm Regards,
    S9
  • edited March 2010
    Mundus,

M: Then that is not the speaker's issue but the recipient's, and a good opportunity for their own practice.

S9: When blame starts getting passed around, there always seems to be plenty for everyone. No need to scrimp. We can all have a generous helping with plenty of leftovers for tomorrow. ; ^ )

Smiles coming your way,
    S9
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I have no problem with "I" in common usage. It refers to a very real (if not inherently real) Bodymind and member of society. It only becomes a problem when it is absolutized. This guy was just confused, and I'm sure he will tire of the exercise.
  • ManiMani Veteran
    edited March 2010

Any thoughts on this ?

In the book "Joyful Wisdom", Youngey Mingyur Rinpoche told a story about a man he met in India who had tried to take the exact same approach. In trying to develop insight into "emptiness of self", instead of using the normal approaches such as meditation and cultivation, etc., he thought it would be much faster and easier to just stop using the words "I" and "me" to refer to himself. I will have to revisit this story to give a quote, but needless to say, this approach didn't have the desired results he had hoped for. In fact I think he had a difficult time fitting into society in general after a period of time.

Shortcut's can often get you lost :)
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    edited March 2010
    shanyin wrote: »
    I try to elimate vein thoughts. Buddha said; I am, I am not, I will be, I will not be are vein thoughts which is a sickness and once all are eliminated no desire arises.

As for me, I only think about blood when I am donating it.....:p
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited March 2010

Kowtaaia seems to do this. I learned it from him. Not as a hard and fast rule, obviously, but any time "I" comes up in writing, it is time to take a hard look at what's going on.
  • edited March 2010
    No matter what word we use, the thought process starts with knowing that we are referring to "I" or "My" or "Mine" ... then we try to replace this word with something that will sound less egotistic ... then we see that the whole thing turns out to be a "literary" exercise and not a substantial Dhamma practice. Anatta (Not-self or No-self) is one of the "three marks of existence" ... these 'marks' are what they are ... we don't approach them directly but through practicing the 4NT and 8FP.

Does this make sense? :)
    edited March 2010
    sukhita wrote: »
    No matter what word we use, the thought process starts with knowing that we are referring to "I" or "My" or "Mine" ... then we try to replace this word with something that will sound less egotistic ... then we see that the whole thing turns out to be a "literary" exercise and not a substantial Dhamma practice.

I disagree. The way we think about things can be of great significance in understanding what is really going on.

P
  • edited March 2010
    Hi Porpoise,
    No matter what word we use, the thought process starts with knowing that we are referring to "I" or "My" or "Mine" ... then we try to replace this word with something that will sound less egotistic ... then we see that the whole thing turns out to be a "literary" exercise and not a substantial Dhamma practice. Anatta (Not-self or No-self) is one of the "three marks of existence" ... these 'marks' are what they are ... we don't approach them directly but through practicing the 4NT and 8FP.
    porpoise wrote: »
    I disagree. The way we think about things can be of great significance in understanding what is really going on.

Exactly what do you disagree with?

Kind regards,
    Sukhita
  • edited March 2010
    Porpoise,

We can use words with some efficiency in trying to describe were we are coming from, or where we live from. But, we look out at the world more from an experiential attitude, wouldn’t you agree?

Everything is colored by who we think we are, or identity.

Warm Regards,
    S9
    edited March 2010
    Hi Porpoise,

Exactly what do you disagree with?

Kind regards,
    Sukhita

That changing the way we think is just a literary exercise and not a useful practice. Our thoughts create the world, as it says in the Dhammapada.

P
    edited March 2010
    Porpoise,

Everything is colored by who we think we are, or identity.

Warm Regards,
    S9

Yes, that's why it's important to think differently, to challenge established patterns of thought.

P
  • edited March 2010
    Porpoise,

Words are just the container of our clarity, wisdom, and insights. First you see clearly, and only then do you say what you have seen.

Not the other way around.

That would be like “Putting the cart b/4 the horse.”

If I said a porcupine was made of silk, no magic would accompany those words. It still wouldn’t be wise to lie down on his back and take a nap. : ^ (

Smiles,
    S9
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited March 2010
    That changing the way we think is just a literary exercise and not a useful practice.

She said that if the thought process doesn't change and we're just replacing words after the fact for the sake of trying to look like crazy advanced Buddhists with no ego, then it's just a literary exercise. The Buddha laid out the path to Nibbana and it didn't include anything like this. Even the Buddha used those words, after fully realizing anatta...
  • edited March 2010
    She said that if the thought process doesn't change and we're just replacing words after the fact for the sake of trying to look like crazy advanced Buddhists with no ego, then it's just a literary exercise. The Buddha laid out the path to Nibbana and it didn't include anything like this. Even the Buddha used those words, after fully realizing anatta...

Hey, Mundus... that should be He said...

You have elucidated my post quite nicely... thanks.

:)
    edited March 2010
    Porpoise,

Words are just the container of our clarity, wisdom, and insights. First you see clearly, and only then do you say what you have seen.

Not the other way around.

I don't think it's as simple as that, and I see if more like a feedback loop. By deliberately changing the way we think our awareness changes and insights arise.

P
    edited March 2010
    She said that if the thought process doesn't change and we're just replacing words after the fact for the sake of trying to look like crazy advanced Buddhists with no ego, then it's just a literary exercise.

I'm talking about changing words before the fact.

P
  • edited March 2010
    Porpoise,

P: I don't think it's as simple as that, and I see if more like a feedback loop.

S9: But, in that case it would all be built in, as who can find in a circle where it actually began? (Similar to Hard Determinism) If, on the other hand, it did begin, or something more like a spiral, lets us say, isn’t clarity the initiator even of that spiral?

P: By deliberately changing the way we think our awareness changes and insights arise.

S9: I hope you can see that it would be pretty hard to be deliberate about anything without first seeing with some clarity a reason to change.

Warm Regards,
    S9
    edited March 2010
    Porpoise,

P: I don't think it's as simple as that, and I see if more like a feedback loop.

S9: But, in that case it would all be built in, as who can find in a circle where it actually began? (Similar to Hard Determinism) If, on the other hand, it did begin, or something more like a spiral, lets us say, isn’t clarity the initiator even of that spiral?

How about chicken and egg?:p

P
  • edited March 2010
    Porpoise,

P: How about chicken and egg?

S9: That’s pretty good. But I like chicken and dumplings. ; ^ )

I guess we are all unique in what rings our bell.

Warm Regards,
    S9