Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Using a Tibetan Singing Bowl?

edited July 2010 in Meditation
I've had a Tibetan Singing Bowl for a very long time. I don't actually even remember how I got it, but I've had it since I was about 12 years old or so.

I know how to make it "sing" but I don't really know exactly what I should be doing with it as far as using it for meditation.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

I'm new to Buddhism and meditation, and I thought it might be time to use it rather than just look at it. :)

Thanks!

Michele

Comments

• NiosNios Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I come from Japanese Tendai tradition. We use bells to signify the start and end of each practice, or segment. For example, to start, the bell is struck 3 times, then we chant the three refuges. Then the bell is struck once to both signify the end of the three refuges and the start of chanting the heart sutra. The bell is struck again to signify the end of the sutra chanting and the beginning of chanting the three syllables. Then the bell is struck again to signify the end of chanting and the beginning of meditation. At the end of meditation the bell is struck three times, each time going from soft getting louder with a bit of a pause between each strike.
    At the beginning of all this, with each ring of the bell, I let my thoughts of my day, work, stress etc float away, so all that's left is just my practice. With each strike I am reminded to stay mindful of the present moment and not let my thoughts drift off.

This is just a very basic use of the bell. There are other uses but I'm not familiar with them.

Nios. :)
  • edited June 2010
    I find that the tone when struck gives me a vibration that I try to maintain thoughout my session- where does the sound go?
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    It's more appropriate to say that you are ringing or sounding the bowl as opposed to striking.
  • edited July 2010
    Namaste, MediocreDeity!
    After a simple search of "purpose of Tibetan singing bowls" performed on Yahoo!, numerous sites revealed various info on Tibetan singing bowls. Check it out for yourself. Some say they're for healing, some say the make the sounds "AUM." Wikipedia said they're used... "during chanting, striking it when a particular phrase in a sutra, mantra or hymn is sung." I like to use it before and after a guru yoga prayer and meditation as part of ngondro the preliminaries in Vajrayana practice. It is said they have a powerful energy and are not for everybody to use. OK, I guess. I hope it aids your practice.
    Tashi Delek!
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Hmmmm... I'm going to Tibet next year... maybe I'll pick me up one of these...