Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Multi-religons?

edited August 2005 in Buddhism Basics
Can a Christian be a Buddhist too, minus a few worldview items such as reincarntion? A Christian-Buddhist. A Chirstian wordview with an application of Buddhist philosophy/practical teaching?

Comments

• edited August 2005
    Sure, why not? I called myself that last year but now I'm not so sure about the Christian part.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Carolina,

Yes. There are many Buddhist Christians, Christian Buddhists and a strong movement of Jewish Buddhists.
  • kinleekinlee Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Being a Christian is a father and son relationship, being a Buddhist is a teacher and student relationship. Having good grades bring much pride to the parents. :)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2005
    I'm sorry, I keep flashing on the Supreme Being in The Fifth Element, a stunningly beautiful woman, who kept saying "Multipass, multipass!" But then, I'm a little off anyway.

Sure, why can't someone be Christian and Buddhist? I have a friend here in Mongolia who is a Shi'ite Muslim Tantrika! (true!)

Palzang

(a little punchy tonight, obviously)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2005
    ...and let us not forget the Divine Alanis in Dogma!

Hope all is going well in Mongolia, Palzang-la.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Everything is well here in the land of mutton and Mongols, Simon! I'm off to the Gobi for a week, so I probably won't be checking into the forum until next week, so try to make it without me, OK, guys?

Palzang
    (AKA Camel Jockey)
  • edited August 2005
    If someone sees both as traditions that essentially point to the same truth, I don't see why someone could not be both a Christian and a Buddhist.
  • edited August 2005
    carolina wrote:
    Can a Christian be a Buddhist too, minus a few worldview items such as reincarntion? A Christian-Buddhist. A Chirstian wordview with an application of Buddhist philosophy/practical teaching?

Sure. I'm a Buddhist and I (like many others) don't believe in reincarnation - and a lot of the other ideas that seem too mystical for me. Personally, I'm atheist, but I have indeed come across Christian Buddhists. There are also quite a few good books on comparisons of Christianity and Buddhism.