Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Keeping track of time

edited October 2010 in Meditation
This may sound like a really dumb question, but how do people keep track of time while they are meditating? Do you only meditate when you have an ample amount of time to dedicate to it? Do you set an alarm clock or have a clock that is somewhere you can see? I know that how long you sit is not a big deal, but I cannot sit for very long because I usually get anxious about possibly sitting for too long since I have other commitments that I cannot be late for. Just wondering what others do!

Thank you for your time!

Comments

• edited February 2010
    I use my iPhone's meditation timer during the day, and I go to http://www.treeleaf.org/ for their meditation timer when I'm at home sitting in my office.

I'll admit to cheating and stealing a glimpse of the timer status at times. If I'm working with vipassana, I try to break down my desire to see the time, and then glimpse at the time slowly and mindfully. I'm a goofy meditator. :p
  • skydancerskydancer Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I like to set a timer so I'm not watching the clock.
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Starbreeze wrote: »
    Do you only meditate when you have an ample amount of time to dedicate to it?
    Yes. Usually, I don't have time conflicts. :-)
    Do you set an alarm clock or have a clock that is somewhere you can see?
    I use a kitchen timer. I usually position it so that I can't see the face, so that I don't get tempted to glance at it to see how much time is left.
    I know that how long you sit is not a big deal, but I cannot sit for very long because I usually get anxious about possibly sitting for too long since I have other commitments that I cannot be late for.
    I sometimes get antsy if I sit for than my usual time. It's all grist for the mill. :-)
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I set an alarm on my cell phone.
  • ManiMani Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I use a gentle sounding alarm on my cell phone as well. As far as clocks go, I don't have one on the wall in my sitting room, and any other clocks are facing the wall when I meditate. Otherwise I will look at them. Habits, habits...Though in a small group setting, I am more motivated to push through without doing so.

Oh yeah, and incidentally, when burning incense this acts as a general elapsed time indicator (If I become distracted, and notice no more scent, I can be pretty sure I've passed 'bout a half hour or so... Keep going!).
  • edited February 2010

I use a timer.

• edited February 2010
    I use my spooky sci-fi sounding ipod touch alarm.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited February 2010
    This may sound like a really dumb question, but how do people keep track of time while they are meditating? Do you only meditate when you have an ample amount of time to dedicate to it? Do you set an alarm clock or have a clock that is somewhere you can see? I know that how long you sit is not a big deal, but I cannot sit for very long because I usually get anxious about possibly sitting for too long since I have other commitments that I cannot be late for. Just wondering what others do!

Thank you for your time!

http://blackmoonzendo.com/zazen.shtml

I have a meditation timer on my mobile phone, other than that sometimes I will just sit and look at the clock.

Best wishes,

Abu
  • edited February 2010
    Thank you for all the responses! It seems like a timer of some sort is the popular vote.

Thanks again! =)
  • edited February 2010
    Thank you for all the responses! It seems like a timer of some sort is the popular vote.

I use a simple kitchen timer also. Costs very little. Make sure it is the electronic type and not the mechanical one. The latter is noisy - 'ticks'. :)
  • edited February 2010
    sukhita wrote: »
    I use a simple kitchen timer also. Costs very little. Make sure it is the electronic type and not the mechanical one. The latter is noisy - 'ticks'. :)

Well, I am lazy enough that my cellphone will probably be the timer. I go back and forth between school and home quite often and it is easier to use something that I will have with me regardless.

And I don't think I could deal with the ticking either. The only acceptable ticking object is a metronome... :D
  • edited February 2010
    .... The only acceptable ticking object is a metronome... :D

So you're a musician, I take it...... :)
  • edited February 2010
    sukhita wrote: »
    So you're a musician, I take it...... :)
    :D
    Yup, I'm a music major.
  • edited February 2010
    I sometimes use a stick of insense to watch the time. Other times I'll just sit for as long as I can before I have to get up and rejoin the world.

If I'm on a strict time limit I generally don't sit, maybe I should, but I don't. I don't trust myself to get up when I should.

I know, what a rookie thing to say right? At least I'm honest
  • edited February 2010
    I sometimes use a stick of insense to watch the time. Other times I'll just sit for as long as I can before I have to get up and rejoin the world.

If I'm on a strict time limit I generally don't sit, maybe I should, but I don't. I don't trust myself to get up when I should.

I like the idea of watching the stick of incense. That'll work when I'm home, but not so much at school (my school apparently thinks you can burn the dorm down with a stick of incense).

If I don't sit when I have a time limit, I feel like I'll never make a point of sitting, unfortunately. So maybe your situation sounds like less of a rookie thing than mine. At least you think you'll get around to sitting some other time.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010

Well then, I'll be a rookie with you because I do the same thing. :)
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I found some wonderful, pleasant Japanese temple incense. Each stick burns for exactly 22 minutes. That's how I time my meditation.

For those of you who use Macs, OS X Dashboard has a built-in meditation timer with a nice ringing bowl 'alarm'

Peace

Mtns
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Thanks, Mtns! I'll have a look for the timer. I haven't come across it yet.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited March 2010
    It looks like this. It flips around and you can set the length of time, as well as a start time. Very nice.

Timer.jpg
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Cool!

Where do I get it? It didn't come with Dashboard on my Mac and I'm running OS X (10.6.2).
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2010

Thank you for your time!

I just have a clock next to the shrine.

P
  • edited March 2010
    I like the idea of watching the stick of incense.

The meditation timer at treeleaf.org puts a virtual incense stick on the screen, that burns down in sync with whatever value you've put in the timer. I rather like the stick being there, rather than a numerical timer..seems less intrusive, somehow. I can see where people would use real incense for this purpose.
  • shadowleavershadowleaver Veteran
    edited March 2010
    When I meditate at home or in the park (as opposed to in transit), I just use the clock. I usually do 30 minutes and by now I pretty much know when they have elapsed so I glance at the clock just to confirm...
    edited March 2010
    When I meditate at home or in the park (as opposed to in transit), I just use the clock. I usually do 30 minutes and by now I pretty much know when they have elapsed so I glance at the clock just to confirm...

Glancing is good. I sometimes tend to clock-watch.:lol:

P
  • edited March 2010
    personally, there's simply NO WAY i could set any type of timer, alarm (clock or otherwise) with ANY sound to time my meditation sessions. I use mala beads, which take approximately 20 minutes. I breathe in with one bead, and breathe out with the next bead, alternating until i reach the tassle. it's a great way to not have to worry about the timing, i'm never late (:P) and i'm never what my Gen-La-Chopka calls a "clock watcher".
    best of luck!
    *namaste*
  • edited March 2010
    I use my brain. There is a mechanism in it that keeps track of time.
    something like a "circadian clock" chemical bio reaction or something
    google it.. and train it.
  • edited March 2010
    You could always use some incense. (if you keep your eyes open) I heard Daisetsu Teitaro Suzuki reccomend meditating till there was no more smoke emitted.
  • edited March 2010
    Like many others I use a timer (in particular this Enso meditation timer.) Which I kind of like.

Of course, the fun challenge has been seeing how long I can go without discretely sneaking a peak to see how much time is left. ;)
  • edited March 2010
    Kikujiro wrote: »
    You could always use some incense. (if you keep your eyes open) I heard Daisetsu Teitaro Suzuki reccomend meditating till there was no more smoke emitted.
    i love this idea and will certainly try it, thank you!
  • edited June 2010
    I found that the Chi Gong setting alarm on my Blackberry is a nice way to signal the end of my session. I shut it off while meditating so the alarm wakes it up and I don't get other alerts.
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Brigid wrote: »
    Cool!

Where do I get it? It didn't come with Dashboard on my Mac and I'm running OS X (10.6.2).

Brigid & Mountains-

It doesn't seem to be built into OS X (at least not 10.5), but you can download it for free from Apple here:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/status/meditationtimerwidget.html
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I only meditate when I know I'll have enough time to complete my designated session. Shorter sessions are sometimes a necessity for me but not often.

I use my watch's timer feature and I set the watch behind me so that I won't feel the urge to glance at it during my sessions.

There are freeware timer applications for Windows (Cool Timer is one of them that I've used before) that could also be used in case you don't have a watch or a cellphone that can alert you when the end of the session is upon you.
    edited July 2010
    TheFound wrote: »
    I use my brain.

That's great until you fall asleep.:o

P
  • edited August 2010
    Forget the concept of time. There is no such thing as time. The past is gone forever. The future is unknown and cannot be known. There is only the now. The present. Stay in the present.

Mike
  • edited October 2010
    Incense has traditionally been used to time meditation sessions. Many sticks burn for 30 minutes while others, as well as dhoop cones and sticks, burn for 45 minutes. Typically the lead monk in a dojo ends the session by striking a singing bowl.
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I am the digital kitchen timer type.I set it for 60 minutes and then start my meditation.1 hour walking then 1 hour sitting,back to walking etc.
    Being a monk removes the problem some of you speak of about being careful because you have things to do.I guess the worst that could happen to me would be to miss a meal:eek:
  • edited October 2010

Thank you for your time!

i use a timer... that counts down and beeps automatically when the time is up...

sometimes, i meditate without timing.

If possible, bring mindfulness with you also into daily life and make meditation a part of every moment as often as we remember... that is most vital in the practice.
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I use an Android app called 'Meditation Helper'. It makes a bell noise when the time is up, you can also put a bell in at random time... so if you want to sit for 30 minutes you can put a bell at 15 minutes to let yourself know how long it has been. It also logs your sittings and can remind you to meditate.

So yeah, if you have an android phone, the app is free.
  • edited October 2010
    I use an Android app called 'Meditation timer'. It makes a bell noise when the time is up, you can also put a bell in at random time... so if you want to sit for 30 minutes you can put a bell at 15 minutes to let yourself know how long it has been. It also logs your sittings and can remind you to meditate.

So yeah, if you have an android phone, the app is free.

I use this too. I would think there is probably an iphone version too, but I dunno.

For those with 'smart phones' there is also the 'Mindfulness Bell' application. It's not a meditation timer, it's an app that sounds a bell periodically during the day (it's customizable) as a reminder to return to mindfulness if not already in a mindful state.
  • edited October 2010
    Right now I use a little digital kitchen timer. I considered using my cell phone's scheduler, but I prefer leaving my cell phone off when I'm meditating.

I'm going to look at some of the online timers that people have posted here. The alarm on my timer is quite abrasive and I'd prefer something a little more gentle to let me know my session is at an end.