Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Which is the best Mala bead for mantra of

edited February 2010 in Meditation
Which is the best Mala bead for the mantra of the Medicine Buddha?

Comments

• edited February 2010
    Lapis or some other blue bead would be best but bodhi seed is universal.
  • edited February 2010
    Does it really matter? If two identical people do the same medicine buddha saddhana, but one of them uses a rose-wood mala, and the other uses a lapis mala - do you really think that the one who uses the lapis mala, will have better realisations and become closer to enlightenment, than the one who uses rose-wood? A mala is an abacus on a string - its a counting device.
    You cant buy enlightenment by getting all the nice stuff, like different mala's, thangkas, rupa's and so on - believe me ive tried buying my sprituality. My wallet got some clear realisations of emptiness, but I didnt.... I just got alot of pretty stuff, I didnt know what to do with.

Certain materials might have an effect on advanced practicioners (maybe - i dont really know - but maybe) but for beginners like us, I cant really see it as anything else than spiritual materialism - trying to bye the right feeling of "now i have the right stuff to be a buddhist". I know that feeling all too well, and it has been nothing else than counter productive for my practice.

Much love

Allan
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Amen. :)
  • edited February 2010
    Does it really matter? If two identical people do the same medicine buddha saddhana, but one of them uses a rose-wood mala, and the other uses a lapis mala - do you really think that the one who uses the lapis mala, will have better realisations and become closer to enlightenment, than the one who uses rose-wood? A mala is an abacus on a string - its a counting device.
    You cant buy enlightenment by getting all the nice stuff, like different mala's, thangkas, rupa's and so on - believe me ive tried buying my sprituality. My wallet got some clear realisations of emptiness, but I didnt.... I just got alot of pretty stuff, I didnt know what to do with.

Certain materials might have an effect on advanced practicioners (maybe - i dont really know - but maybe) but for beginners like us, I cant really see it as anything else than spiritual materialism - trying to bye the right feeling of "now i have the right stuff to be a buddhist". I know that feeling all too well, and it has been nothing else than counter productive for my practice.

Much love

Allan
    who knows what level of experience the op is coming from or the details behind why he or she is asking?
    we dont.
    although I tend to agree with your sentiments about "spiritual materialism" they might not really get to the point of the thread.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I understand where you're coming from, Allan, and I've certainly seen people who go to great lengths to accouture themselves just so to impress everyone with their "spirituality". However, there are certain types of malas that help support certain types of practices better than others, from an energetic point of view. As was mentioned, lapis does support the Medicine Buddha practice particularly well as the Medicine Buddha is the color of lapis. Bone malas are recommended for wrathful practices. For peaceful deities crystal malas are often used. I use the same mala for everything, which is a bodhi seed mala. Gyaltrul Rinpoche said in a book that while other types of malas can increase the merit of a practice by X amount, bodhi seed malas increase it without limit. I don't know if that's really true or not, but I've always been most drawn to the bodhi seed malas. Anyway, the point is that there are two sides to every story, eh?

Palzang
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Everytime I go to buy a mala I end up with rosewood. I don't know what merit it brings me over others but it seems I have a natural affinity to that material.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Then that's the one you should use.

Palzang
    edited February 2010
    Do you have any book recommendations regarding mala beads? I am interested in learning more about them.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    There are probably others, but the only one I am aware of is The Generation Stage in Buddhist Tantra by Gyatrul Rinpoche. He includes a section on malas as well as mudras (hand symbols). It just happens to be on sale right now at Snow Lion.

Palzang
    edited February 2010
    Great thanks. That sounds exactly like what I am looking for.