Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

mandala art

edited March 2010 in Meditation
heyho i was wondering what any of you all know about mandala-making and what kinda things go into it and making one's own, cause i like to doodle a lot and draw and uhh be a buddhist HA HA, ha ha so i was thinking it might be a cool thing to do both as a zen process, a making of art as well as something for exploring its religious significance, whatever it may be. gracias!

Comments

• edited February 2010
    Wow!! I can't imagine how to give a brief answer.

Research, research, research. I mean there's a lot that goes into Mandala making - color, shape, position, what it represents (self/universe/realms, etc)
    All this depends on the school in which the Mandala is made.

So, search online, contact your local Vajrayana Teacher - I'm thinking the folks at Maitripa Institute on Main may help you understand a bit more.

Whew! Hell of a question!!

:scratch:
  • edited February 2010
    Okay Thought about it some more.

Three basic shapes - Circle, square, triangle.

Basic Colors - (vary from school to school) Red, Blue, White, Green, Yellow (gold), Black, others??

There's something about the four quadrants, I just can't recall right now.

Won't get into symbolic stuff, no no no! Way too esoteric!!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Mandalas are generally physical representations of the (spiritual) universe with Mt. Meru at the center surrounded by the four directional quadrants, which are then usually populated with the deities in that particular cycle, like a Vajrakilaya mandala would have the deities associated with Vajrakilaya's retinue. The colors are usually associated with the five directional colors, and as BB pointed out, they vary from school to school.

Palzang
  • edited February 2010
    WU!!!!
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    It might help to get a book of Tibetan art and copy one of the mandalas. The theory behind the form of the mandalas is quite complex and not easily available.
  • edited February 2010
    thank you thank you good idea thank ypou
  • edited March 2010
    fun! i'm an artist and want to try this too!