Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Specifically: Emotions

edited April 2010 in Meditation
This could be quite advanced - or not - it depends on who is reading it :)

I have recently realised that emotions do not occur in the touch space I thought they occured in.

When an emotion occurs it often causes a physical, or energy-type, reaction in the body.

However, at the very moment the emotion occurs, this energy-type reaction is not yet present. The emotion actually occurs elsewhere.

I was wondering if anyone with this experience could give me guidence on this.

Emotions occur extremely fast, and with a lot of concentration and a great deal of, to use a Shinzen Young term, equanimity I am able to experience emotions non-judgementally.

However I can currently only do this with a good deal of completeness when I'm doing a long meditation sit in deep concentration in my bedroom.

I would like to know if anyone could give me advice on being able to focus/being aware of emotions as they arise... where would be a good place to allow my focus to rest in order to await their arisal?

Currently I use body sensations as the default focus of my meditation. Occasionally I use the visual field, and sometimes I also use the breath.

Thank you very much for any advise you can offer :)

Rich

Comments

• edited February 2010
    Hi RTR,

I was once told that emotions could be imagined as E = Energy (in) Motion - EMOTION!! :D

This has been very helpful in what I imagine you're talking about. It helped understand that it's actually the stimulated energy that arises first, which we recognize as an emotion.

i.e. I come into contact with an object (a coherent energy field), I begin to sense some sort of impression (force), I attend to the field as a discreet object in my perceptual field, I begin to interact with it (receive it and measure it's energetic characteristics against the characteristics of my own state of being) - this is where I imagine the energy is stimulated, as I kind of take-in (drink) the energy of the object, from this a sense of agreement or disagreement arises in relation between my state of being and the object's - which I feel in my body, accompanied by pleasure or pain, which I recognize (imagine) as some kind (flavor) of emotion - energy in motion.

That's my story :D
  • edited February 2010
    Hi RTR,

I was once told that emotions could be imagined as E = Energy (in) Motion - EMOTION!! :D

This has been very helpful in what I imagine you're talking about. It helped understand that it's actually the stimulated energy that arises first, which we recognize as an emotion.

i.e. I come into contact with an object (a coherent energy field), I begin to sense some sort of impression (force), I attend to the field as a discreet object in my perceptual field, I begin to interact with it (receive it and measure it's energetic characteristics against the characteristics of my own state of being) - this is where I imagine the energy is stimulated, as I kind of take-in (drink) the energy of the object, from this a sense of agreement or disagreement arises in relation between my state of being and the object's - which I feel in my body, accompanied by pleasure or pain, which I recognize (imagine) as some kind (flavor) of emotion - energy in motion.

That's my story :D

That's actually quite useful. Thanks Bob.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Any kind of shamatha practice will help you become more aware of your emotions. What's holding you back is not a question of technique, it's more a lack of understanding and familiarity with your mind. This will improve as you continue to practice. But it takes time, so be patient.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I'll be honest; when I meditate I don't have emotional issues or energy issues. I just close my eyes and clear my mind and breathe. I wish I could tell you something to help but I can't. The only problem I have is finding a comfortable way to meditate.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited February 2010
    comic: then you aren't really working the edge.
  • edited February 2010
    If one notices the arising of an emotion, then relaxes into that emotion completely, it's no longer there.

edited February 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    comic: then you aren't really working the edge.

What do you mean?
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Simply resting can be important for developing capacity, but the point is to learn to open and rest as otherwise disturbing material comes up (see the story of what happened under the Bodhi tree.)

It is just possible that there is no disturbance in your life, but extremely unlikely.
    edited February 2010
    I have disturbance but I don't let it get to me during the day. I just tell myself that it's not worth letting things get negative. I've found that meditation is the time of the day when I don't have to think about things. When I meditate I've always been able to clear my mind.
  • edited March 2010
    First post... Hi everyone!
    RagsToRich wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone with this experience could give me guidence on this.

I've had a similar issue for a long time now(emotions manifesting as physical sensations and vice-versa), and I can tell you that playing with this really isn't something you want to pursue. There are some more 'advanced' techniques for manipulating or quelling these sensations, but applying them without the proper guidance has given me nothing but agony(seriously). Listen to what the rest of the folks here are saying. Concentrate on your breathing/mantra/whatever and simply allow it to pass.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Hi my leg is ASLEEP.

Love your name. Welcome to the site!
  • edited April 2010
    Dazzle wrote: »
    If one notices the arising of an emotion, then relaxes into that emotion completely, it's no longer there..
    AGREED! Try just SITTING with the emotion. Applying the deep concentration you've developed through the beginning of your Shamatha to the feeling of the emotion. just sit with it a few moments. see what it really is. see what it really isn't. just feel it for a while, and it will expose itself to you. it's layers will fall apart, and you will see the true nature of it. sounds complex, but it does take practice.
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    edited April 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    Simply resting can be important for developing capacity, but the point is to learn to open and rest as otherwise disturbing material comes up (see the story of what happened under the Bodhi tree.)

It is just possible that there is no disturbance in your life, but extremely unlikely.

I find that most of the time I spend in practice, my emotional state is fairly neutral. That's fine - it's a valid emotional state - but a neutral state isn't an extreme and it's also good to practice in those times as well. However, those extreme states are fleeting and not always convenient to our practice schedule. The trick is, to be abe to recognize the more extreme emotional moments as they arise and then take them to our practice at that time.

Not too long ago, I got a phone call from my mother, telling me my father was in a particularly bad state. He was, in effect, dying. Needless to say, this news produced some very powerful and raw emotions. Somehow, it occured to me to go over to my practice area and sit with what was going on. I won't go into details, but suffice it to say that it was a very good experience to be able to sit and observe these emotions as the arose.

We don't always have something so immediately powerful to work with - it isn't every day our father dies. Yet, if we we are mindful of our emotional state in any given moment, we can practice with those emotions any time - we don't have to be near a cushion. The trick is to recognize the moment in its arising and remembering our practice instruction.
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I agree with you Chaz. Meditation practice should extend to our daily lives and not only be confined to the cushion.

I find that when I'm sitting, my emotions are pretty tame and neutral, but going through the day, they can rage out of control and that's when I find it hardest to apply my meditation instruction.

Anyone can sit down, meditate and have a peaceful time on the cushion, but it takes more to bring the meditation precepts into every waking moment of our lives.
  • edited April 2010
    Anyone can sit down, meditate and have a peaceful time on the cushion, but it takes more to bring the meditation precepts into every waking moment of our lives.

This is why we practice mindfulness. When we become aware of negative mental activity, we can direct the awareness back with the breath and the freshness of the present moment.