Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hello everyone!

edited August 2005 in General Banter
I was on vacation for the past two weeks, so I missed all of you. I actually did not go anywhere, my mom and niece came to visit and stay with us. It was a wonderful visit with my mom. My niece is now a difficult teenager, but it was good to see her anyways! Seeing my mom made me sad....she is getting older and it made me realize how I don't get to spend enough time with her. When she left, I cried all afternoon. I just felt "homesick". Anyone else ever go through this after a visit with a relative? I was just really sad.

It's good to be back - I missed reading all of the posts here.

Kim

Comments

• edited August 2005
    Welcome back! I was wondering why you hadnt been posting. Usually when I visit relatives I cant wait to get away.
  • edited August 2005
    I feel that way about some relatives! :) But when my mom leaves, I get terribly sad!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2005
    My mother lives in Italy, while I live in France. last time I saw her was at Christmas, and that wasn't a particularly loving or constructive experience.... fortunately, we've talked things over and we're back on track, and we do miss each other terribly. Because of the distance and my dad's infirm condition, they can't travel too well, so periods in between seeing each other are long, and they both seem to age under my eyes....
    Life is brief, and missing loved ones is so difficult. I'm with you on this one, Yogamama.... :wavey:
  • edited August 2005
    I stay so busy with things, I don't have a chance to see my family as often as I would like to. But I see what your saying yogamama, everytime I see my mother I see her getting older as the same with my father. It's kinda scary, its something that you don't really want to face. I know its an attachment, but who can't be attached to their parents? :)
  • edited August 2005
    I agree - it is hard to NOT be attached to your parents. I lost my father when I was 17, so part of the reason why I get so sad when I see my mom is because we always talk abotu my dad, and I know she misses him terribly. He has been gone for 14 years, and it never gets easier!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2005
    All this talk about 'Time is a great healer' is balloney... time does nothing but Pass. It is we who heal - or don't, as the case may be.... and whatever sentiments might have existed between parent/child, there is always a backward glance, and wishes, and regrets and nostalgia. Do what you need to do today. Say what you need to say today. Tomorrow may be too late, and you're dead a lot longer than you're alive..... :winkc:
  • edited August 2005
    That is all so true.....
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2005
    As I get older, the pace of loss accelerates. I have just helped to bury a dear lover, friend and colleague with whom we walked for many years. She has joined the choir of people whom I have loved who live, each day, in my memory.

A truth that is true for me is that no relationship of mine is ever truly lost, while I am still here. It is only that the other end of the golden thread is out of sight.

When this person experiences the sadness of apparent loss, he cries. When he experiences memories of joy, he laughs.

I did not understand any of this until I was sitting with HHDL and he turned to my son, 11 years and 1 day old, and asked his first question: "When did your mother pass?" And, as Jack told the story of his mother's death 18 months earlier, he wept! Later, as he demonstrated how to stay awake while meditating by hitting himself on the head with the weight on a hand-held prayer-wheel, we were all splitting our sides laughing. During those 45 minutes with him, he showed us how flexible are feelings freely experienced and freely expressed.

For non-Buddhists, it might be well to consider that the aim of Western psychotherapy is exactly this spontaneous cathexis.
  • edited August 2005
    I am going to share some family pictures with you in hopes that they will warm your hearts, as they warm mine everyday. One is of Emma and her grandma from her recent visit and the other is of Emma and her "dadda". The other is of Emma playing with her new friend, a Tomato Horn Worm.

http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u=5814MfT2o&i=191204

http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u=5814MfT2o&i=191205

http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u=5814MfT2o&i=190696
    edited August 2005
    ...A Tomato whaaaaat?!?.... are they dangerous? Are they edible? can I have one?

(She's absolutely gorgeous, and I can see why she warms your heart.....!)
  • edited August 2005
    No, they are not dangerous. They actually turn into big, beautiful butterflies. They have this "horn" that sticks out of their butt, but it's really just for show, because if you touch the horn, it is soft. We find them all over our tomato plants and we keep them as "pets" and feed them leaves. Some of them are now turning into cocoons, so we are excited to see what happens next! I can send you one if you want, but they only eat tomato leaves, so do you have any tomato plants around?? :)

Thank you for the compliments on my daughter. She's my angel!
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Emma is a cutie, don't know about the grub.... Eeeew. Love the sleeping photo with her daddy, they are always no nice :)
  • edited August 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    I am going to share some family pictures with you in hopes that they will warm your hearts, as they warm mine everyday. One is of Emma and her grandma from her recent visit and the other is of Emma and her "dadda". The other is of Emma playing with her new friend, a Tomato Horn Worm.

http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u=5814MfT2o&i=191204

http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u=5814MfT2o&i=191205

http://www.solisearch.net/ims/pic.php?u=5814MfT2o&i=190696

YogaMama,

Thanks for sharing your pictures. I really liked them.

Adiana :D :thumbsup: