Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

interested

edited August 2005 in Buddhism Basics
Hi, I have always been interested in learning more about buddhism. I dont know where to start, or whom to talk to to find out more information. I am so drawn towards learning more. If anyone has resources that might help I am located in Kansas City, Missouri.
Sharon

Comments

• edited August 2005
    Oh goodie...another Missourian! :) Me and River are both in Missouri as well, and all 3 of us are very close! Welcome to the forum. I basically started out the same way you are - I joined this forum and just starting talking to people, asking questions and reading articles and links from here:

http://www.newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11

I also went to my library and checked out some books on Buddhism. Best of luck and welcome to the site!

Kim
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Hello, Sharon, and welcome!

I Googled 'Kansas City' and 'Buddhism' and came up with:

http://www.rimecenter.org/index.htm
    http://www.buddhanet.net/americas/usa_mo.htm

Hope there is something for you here.
  • edited August 2005
    Welcome Sharon, there is some great information here as well as other places on the net.Good basic information
    I would do some reserch on any local Buddhist centers before attending to make sure that they are teaching what you want to learn. I had listed a few of my concerns in annother thread but Im not computer savy enough to link it.
  • edited August 2005
    Hello, Sharon, and welcome!

I Googled 'Kansas City' and 'Buddhism' and came up with:

http://www.rimecenter.org/index.htm
    http://www.buddhanet.net/americas/usa_mo.htm

Hope there is something for you here.

I have been looking at the Rime Center and I think I am going to go there - soon....I hope!
    edited August 2005
    Having read the article to which River has given a link, I would be extremely careful of this "Rime" Center.

There is no doubt that the meeting between Tibetan Buddhism and Western consumerism has not always been beneficial to either. It would be easy to pick out the errors in the article, particularly relating to the beliefs and practices of Buddhists. But these are irrelevant details. The heart of the matter is the extent of the corruption that arises from the cult of personality and the dangers of 'charismatic' leaders.

From the point of view of this, our little e-sangha, Palzang may have some useful input but, a priori, I am suspicious of any Buddhist teacher who asks for 'contributions'. It is one of the discomforts that I experience around the NKT.

Thank you for the information, River. It is salutory to remember that Buddhism is not some quaint and magical way to good behaviour.
  • edited August 2005
    Thank you Simon for reading that. I am glad that it just wasnt me that found it alittle suspicious. Their own web site rubbed me the wrong way too.
  • edited August 2005
    Ok, so I won't be going there. Thank you so much for this, River. I about fell over when I read this from the article:

""The gift shop does bring people back to the center, because people have attachments and desires," Teri Brody says. "And yeah, part of what we want to do is help people get rid of those. But that could take several lifetimes, so in the meantime, why not spend some money and promote the center?"

OH MY!
  • edited August 2005
    Yeah that one caught me off guard too. I was already alittle weary of their aparent desire for money when I found that article but it still was shocking to read.
  • edited August 2005
    "The Pitch" is great - I always like their articles. Thanks for sharing that - that would not be a good place for me to go to!
  • edited August 2005
    I fear that Im sounding quite negative. I do think that Lama Chuck and the Rime Buddhist Center do many good things.
  • edited August 2005
    I always grab a Pitch whenever I see them. Unfortunatly that isnt as often as Id like.
  • edited August 2005
    No, I don't think you sound negative at all....I just don't want that to be the first Temple that I attend. Have you been to any temples in our area?
    edited August 2005
    It is disconcerting and worrying that teachers who (assuming always the best) began their mission honestly are dragged into corrupt practices. We have seen it so often with Christian teachers that we could have hoped that venerable Buddhist 'lineage holders' would be stronger.

After many years of visiting all sorts of teachers, etc., I have reached the conclusion that "simony" is the real danger that stalks every spiritual teacher. The best of intentions is undermined by needs like money.

Jesus appears to have depended on voluntary support. No text about 'tithing', etc. Gautama and his companions were forbidden from asking for anything.
  • edited August 2005
    I have not. It seems as if many of the local Buddhist groups have issues. Maybe Im just being too skeptical. Right now I think Im going to believe in the teaching that when I am ready my teacher will find me.
  • edited August 2005
    I completely agree Simon.
  • edited August 2005
    I remember going to my first Christian church and being told that I should contribute 20% of my yearly salary to the church each year. And I always felt like people were watching to see how much I put in the basket each Sunday. So sad, really.
  • edited August 2005
    River wrote:
    Right now I think Im going to believe in the teaching that when I am ready my teacher will find me.

What a great thought...thank you for that.
  • edited August 2005
    Any time and for you no charge.
  • edited August 2005
    LOL!
    edited August 2005
    Being a well-trained cynic, I also have a completely irrational belief that every moment I live, every being I meet and every stone I stumble over is a teacher if I can only pay attention!
  • edited August 2005
    I guess Im irrational too. That whole paying attention thing is the hard part, but atleast it isnt expensive.
    edited August 2005
    It costs no money, River, which is agood thing as I am broke! But it does cost us "not less than everything" (Eliot, again!)
  • edited August 2005
    I like that.