Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Struggling to find a comfortable posistion

edited March 2010 in Meditation
Okay, full lotus and half lotus are impossible for me.

So I tried the Burmese posistion, with some success, but I worry because I've read that the knees need to touch the ground, and mine just simply won't.

Is it okay that my knees aren't touching the ground? I do find discomfort after sitting for long periods of time, particularily in my knees and back.

Is there another method I could use?

Comments

• edited February 2010
    I meditate lying down, leaning back on a futon squashed against the wall, sitting in an armchair with my feet on the ground, and walking (slowly). Also in half-lotus on a zafu. Whichever is most convenient.

I think there may be a small measure of sīlabbata-parāmāso around meditation positions. :P
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Black, you can use a small cushion to wedge the gap between the knee and floor, but also ask meditation teachers or yoga teachers in your area for advice maybe ?
  • edited March 2010
    find a stable position in which you may remain alert and focused for some period of time and use that. it doesn't matter what it looks like to anybody else. it's your practice!
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2010
    BlackFlag wrote: »

So I tried the Burmese posistion, with some success, but I worry because I've read that the knees need to touch the ground, and mine just simply won't.

Is it okay that my knees aren't touching the ground? I do find discomfort after sitting for long periods of time, particularily in my knees and back.

The purpose of meditation is to meditate, not to do yoga. So do whatever works for you. Sitting on a chair is fine.

P
  • edited March 2010
    find a stable position in which you may remain alert and focused for some period of time and use that. it doesn't matter what it looks like to anybody else. it's your practice!

^^This is the bottom line.
    I started out sitting in sort of a bastardized half-lotus, and have evolved over time to a Burmese position, which seems stable for long periods, and the least likely to put both of my legs to sleep simultaneously. :p

Do you have a cushion under your butt? A decently-padded zafu seems to create the space I need to comfortably get my legs where they need to be. I'm a runner, and cramming the muscles in my legs into an "ideal" sitting position has always been a little bit of a challenge.
  • edited March 2010
    I had words with a more experienced buddhist, and he told me that as long as the pain isn't unbearable, you can use the pain as a focus. Simply acknowledge the pain as a feeling, and then return to the breath.

If you're too uncomfortable sitting on the floor like I am, try sitting on a chair with a blanket or cushion under your bottom, and sit with your back away from the chair. If you still want to be on the ground, try a seiza bench or cushion.
  • edited March 2010
    In my personal opinion the number # 1 best position for meditation is straight back on the edge of a chair seat.

Feet flat on the floor, back straight, head up, sat on edge of seat, with arms on the knees.

It's comfy, your chakras are stacked, and it's easy to maintain errect posture and not fall asleep etc.
    BlackFlag wrote: »

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2010
    rrom wrote: »
    I had words with a more experienced buddhist, and he told me that as long as the pain isn't unbearable, you can use the pain as a focus. Simply acknowledge the pain as a feeling, and then return to the breath.

I don't find this convincing. IMO there are enough distractions when we meditate, why add another just because we have an idea that one posture is "better" than another?

P
  • edited March 2010
    meditating is not about the position, it's about the way you use the things you learn during meditating, and your awareness, mindfulness accumulation. it's about the meditation itself.
  • edited March 2010
    be comfy!