Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Light with fear

edited March 2010 in Meditation
Greetings,

I had an interesting experience this morning during my sitting.

Normally when I sit, eyes closed, at some point but not always, I see lights which move around a lot and are constantly changing shape and colour, however there is also a corresponding darkness that cover this light and changes shape with it although the two are not quite in unison. It looks a bit like an eclipse of the moon but with a constantly changing shape and movement somewhat like a lava lamp.

Today, suddenly, the light took on a cone shape and pointed straight at me and moved very quickly through the darkness that covers it and towards me. At the same time I felt overwhelming fear, I didn't react to the light or the fear I just observed it and my breath and after a few seconds the light flattened out and the darkness covered it over once again.

I would welcome any comments on this type of experience.

Metta,
Don

Comments

• edited February 2010
    Often, emotions arise suddenly due to the removal of a long-standing repression, as the meditative experience is a mental "excavation," so to speak. Perhaps a powerful experience of fear which was emotionally repressed early in your life?
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Nothing but the sort of thing that sometimes happens with practice. Keep practicing.
  • edited March 2010
    open your eyes
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited March 2010
    My teacher recommends this for the fear: start chanting refuge with all the focus you can muster ... Namo gurubhya ... etc.

The fear falls off like metal off an electromagnet which has just had the switched flipped off.

Probably focusing on anything would have the same effect, but I suspect it is more useful, in the long run, to take refuge than football cheerleading calls.:D