Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Visit to Dalai Lama

edited August 2005 in General Banter
Can anybody shed some enlightenment on how to get to his temple. As i'm planing a find myself trip to see him and I dont know where to start.

Love is the message

Tom x
sounds_strawberry@yahoo.co.uk
:confused:

:ukflag:

Comments

• feefee
    edited August 2005
    I'd like to know too, please...?
  • edited August 2005
    I am planning a trip to India in January to arrange contacts, then back out to see Tenzin.
  • edited August 2005
    Dharasala, Northern India
  • edited August 2005
    Though I'm sure Simon has the most information...
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2005
    I am still not sure why the Dalai Lama agreed to meet us but here is a brief version of the story:

In 1999, while we were nursing my late wife in her last months, my son Jack (9 yo at the time) and I would comfort ourselves by snuggling up and watching his favourite film, Kundun. Don't ask me why he loves it so much: he is a normal, skateboarding, stroppy adolescent but there you are!

After Chris died, we got quite a big cheque from the insurance company. I asked Jack if he would like a holiday. He answered: "I'd like to see the Himalayas and meet the Dalai Lama." Being a well-trained, obedient oarent, I began to investigate how I could go about doing it. We had been to India before but this seemed like a completely different thing.

In the end, I wrote to HHDL's secretary in Dharamshala, telling him the story. I posted the letter and forgot about it because I really didn't expect anything much to come of it. Much to my surprise, some time later, I received an email from one of His Holiness's secretary offering us a private audience of 15 minutes in April 2001.

And that is all I know. We had our audience. 45 minutes instead of 15. HH gave us gifts and was wonderful. Our whole trip was extraordinary and full of strange incidents and friendly meetings. But I am still at a loss as to why such a busy man was prepared to make so much space for us: we are nothing out of the ordinary. Although, speaking to other, more important people than us who have met him, he likes meeting 'ordinary' people.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Simon,

Not really being a follower of the Dali Lama - I still find things like this wonderful. Obviously, the man has a lot on his plate. To take the time to meet with, like you said, a stranger is really really cool. I'm sure he has tons to take into consideration with various monestaries, abbeys, meetings, appearances, etc.

Very, very wonderful. Kicks him up a couple of notches in my book. (no offense intended)

-bf
  • edited August 2005
    Simon, that is a wonderful story! I was always wondering how you got to meet HHDL. Thanks for sharing that - I loved it.
  • edited August 2005
    That is a great story. While I am not a Tibetan Buddhist I do believe HHDL is a great man. Even looking at him in pictures you can see the compassion that he has for all things.
    edited August 2005
    I can't say that there were spiritual events, theophanies, clouds of devas or whatever. Like any other trip to India, there was frustration, scare, loneliness and stomach upsets! We saw all sorts of things extraordinary to us. We met lovely people and some who were really pains! We saw Indian soldiers and were stopped three times and searched as went to the airport in Kashmir. We sweated a lot.

What has happened in much more subtle. It is a shift in perception which, bit by bit, has risen like the winter sun.

Do you do jigsaws? I do, occasionally. And, when I do, I like to do a complicated one, with lots of pieces. I have one puzzle which was real mind-boggler. The picture on the lid was of a photographer at a wedding. The puzzle itself represented the photographer's point of view, that is what is 'behind' me when I look at the lid. Part of the joy of that puzzle is the mixture of logic (there are clues), blind luck and the new picture, not even on the box lid, something 'new', arising slowly.

I have twice seen sand mandalas. The first time (another strange story) the mandala was still being made. You can see something of the process in Kundun but, live, where there is all the world around and all the senses engaged (the sand has a strange smell) the experience is like a 'spiritual' version of doing a jigsaw. If so secular and mundane a comparison seems inapt, I use it because it comes close to what I am beginning to understand.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2005
    Is the memory still good for Jack? What an extraordinary thing for a 9-year-old to request! How's his life panning out now? If that's too personal a question, I apologise.... but I personally would classify a meeting such as this as 'life-changing'.... :winkc: :)
  • edited August 2005
    Thank you for the help Simon, regards to you all.

Love is the Message

Tomx
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2005
    Amazing story Simon. I agree with buddhafoot that this kicks HHDL up a notch. He's twice as cool in my book now! What an experience for you and your son.

(I was secretly curious about the picture you posted. I was thinking, "How in the world did he get his picture taken with HHDL? Now I know.)

:)
  • feefee
    edited August 2005
    Thanks Simon, a heartwarming story.
    edited August 2005
    Elohim wrote:
    (I was secretly curious about the picture you posted. I was thinking, "How in the world did he get his picture taken with HHDL? Now I know.)

:)

I was going to say.... "PHOTOSHOP!" - because that's what I've done with all those pictures of Pamela Anderson and I together. :)

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    I was going to say.... "PHOTOSHOP!" - because that's what I've done with all those pictures of Pamela Anderson and I together. :)

-bf

Damn you BF! I thought they were real! I even asked Tom Cruise last night, "Am I gullible or what?!"
    edited August 2005
    federica wrote:
    Damn you BF! I thought they were real! I even asked Tom Cruise last night, "Am I gullible or what?!"

Tom Cruise?

Hmmm... when I was peaking through your window last night, I could have sworn that was Ernest Borgnine...

-bf

P.S. By the way, move that that picture of Elvis in velvet next to the master bathroom - it's distracting me....
    edited August 2005
    Ernest Borgnine - !!??!! Jeez, BF! Gimme SOME credit - !!
  • edited August 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:

-bf

Oh come on...if you are going to fantasize, at least pick someone with a little class!
    edited August 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    Oh come on...if you are going to fantasize, at least pick someone with a little class!

Hon... you don't hang out with Pamela because she's got class or for intellectual conversation...

-bf
  • edited August 2005
    Good point!
    edited August 2005
    I watched an interview (Michael Parkinson) with Audrey Hepburn, and the conversation turned to 'My Fair Lady', and Style, and Class.... He asked her,

"What's the difference between style and Class?"
    She replied,
    Style is wearing a fur coat as if it were a rain mac: Class is wearing a rain mac as if it were a fur coat."

What a gal - ! She's my idol!

Cary Grant = Style
    Frank Sinatra = Class....
    get my drift....?
    edited August 2005
    starting a new thread entitled Class vs. Style..... :ukflag:
    edited August 2005
    I was talking about breasts.

That's all - no more, no less.

-bf
  • edited August 2005
    HAHAHA! Yea, I caught on to that real quick.
    edited August 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    HAHAHA! Yea, I caught on to that real quick.

Obviously, some of us (frederica) need a little more "help" getting on the Clue Bus... I knew you were with me though. Sharp as a tack! :)

-bf
  • edited August 2005
    Yep - I traded my breasts for a brain!
  • edited August 2005
    Ummm...I just looked at the subject of this thread..."Visit to the Dalai Lama". How on earth did we get on the subject of breasts??? :confused:
    edited August 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    Ummm...I just looked at the subject of this thread..."Visit to the Dalai Lama". How on earth did we get on the subject of breasts??? :confused:

After careful consideration and evaluation - and incorporating the teachings of "passing the buck", I believe it was all Frederica's and Elohim's fault.

-bf
  • edited August 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:

-bf

Well, I think I am going to have to say "It is Buddhafoot's fault". What do you think of as soon as you see Pamela Anderson?? BOOBS!
    edited August 2005
    My son has just been reading this thread. He is very amused that discussion of our visit to HHDL has turned into what he described as a "wankfest" about breasts (he is now 15). I am sorry to say that his dismissive comment was: "What can you expect from a nation that spends more on big tits and killing people than on feeding the hungry." Out of the mouths of babes? I pass it on to you for what it is worth.
  • edited August 2005
    Your son makes a very valid point!
    edited August 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    After careful consideration and evaluation - and incorporating the teachings of "passing the buck", I believe it was all Frederica's and Elohim's fault.

-bf
    BF is that a big fat yellow streak down your back?!? :bs:

SithePi, I apologise to both you and your son about the degeneration of this thread... suffice to say - we've found 'the level'....!!:lol:
  • edited August 2005
    MMMM big tits........sorry I lost my train of thought.
    edited August 2005
    Score a goal for the Buddha!

Just look how defilements are everywhere! LOL
    edited August 2005
    River wrote:
    MMMM big tits........sorry I lost my train of thought.

Aaah... another wise Soul who lives his signature....! :lol: :tongue2:
    edited August 2005
    Score a goal for the Buddha!

Just look how defilements are everywhere! LOL

league division One:
    Buddha: 5 - Rest of the world: a big fat zero!!
    edited August 2005
    federica wrote:

heh heh... that's was a good one, frederica.

-bf
  • edited August 2005
    That was a VERY good one, federica!

And Simon, I also apologize to you and your son, and the original poster of this thread for the path this has taken! Tell your son we are not all that bad here in the US! In fact, I don't waste any money on big tits! :)
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    I am saving to get rid of my big tits!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2005
    :rolleyes: I'm not touching this one with a ten foot poll (that's a 3.0480060960121924 meter poll for you metric users ;) )
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    *shakes head at Elohim and smiles*
    edited August 2005
    emmak wrote:
    I am saving to get rid of my big tits!

Anything you don't want, pass it over here... I used to own a Playtex 'living' bra but it died of starvation.....
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    If only it were that easy! I think the fact that women pay to have big ones should mean that I get paid to get rid of mine!
  • edited August 2005
    federica wrote:
    I used to own a Playtex 'living' bra but it died of starvation.....

ME TOO!!!

fed - that's the funniest thing I have read in a long time!
    edited August 2005
    Funny?!? Poached eggs are funny - ??!!??

:lol:
  • edited August 2005
    I am not laughing at you...I am laughing WITH you.....I like my poached eggs! :)
    edited August 2005
    I like mine too...
  • edited August 2005
    federica wrote:

It says nothing about typing........but I would have said it too, and I stand whole heartedly behind my statement and my signature. :lol:
    edited August 2005
    I take your point... or both of them.....!! :lol: X 2 !!
  • edited August 2005
    Maybe this is one for this thread