Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hockey Gold for Canada!!

BrigidBrigid Veteran
edited March 2010 in General Banter
Team Canada won the Olympic gold medal in Men's hockey about 30 minutes ago in a nail-biter of a game against Team USA. The score was tied 2-2 at the end of the 3rd period forcing the game into overtime when Canada's golden boy Sydney Crosbie scored the winning goal and now the entire country's gone nuts! What an end to the Games! Gold for both the Canadian Men's and Women's hockey teams! Incredible!

I'm no nationalist, no great fan of the Olympics (although I do like the Winter Games being a Northern Girl and all), and I haven't been much of a hockey fan for the last few years, but I must admit I did get caught up in this game. I usually prefer Women's hockey for various reasons and think it's a better game all around but I was very proud of the Men's hockey team today.

YAAAYY CANADA!!!! :canflag:

Okay. That's enough of that....

Comments

• RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited February 2010
    4 on 4 is fast hockey!!! :canflag:Wooooo.
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Hockey? Isn't that a Japanese snack food?
  • edited February 2010
    I was on edge of my seat all during the third period and OT. Congrats ya canucks ;) Had to root for the US, but I do believe that Canada played better hockey all around.
    I spilled my chips and soda all over my floor on the goal by the Americans in the 3rd though :(
    Again, congrats to Canada.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Thanks, SBR!

I appreciate it.

:)

P.S. Now I've got Journey in my head! Lol!!
  • edited March 2010
    Must give credit where credit is due. :) Journey is better being in your head than a lot of other things. :p
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2010
    True. I used to love Journey. I still like them...
  • edited March 2010
    wasn't the buddha a hockey fan? i gotta find that sutra! oh yeah the 'slapshatavada sutra' that's it :rolleyes:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Lol!!
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2010
    :ausflag::ausflag:

The Aussies won two gold medals, for aerial tricks of course.

We practise skiing into the air and then landing in water.

icqohe.jpg
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Oh Canada!!! Good for you, you deserve a win in your national past time. It was a good game I hear. I thought the nordic skiing accomplishment for the U.S. was our biggest vistory considering 20 years ago the U.S. had one of the worst teams.
  • edited March 2010
    Crosby scoring the winning (and only) goal made the fairytale complete.
    What a game !!! Congatulations Brigid.:)

Loooooooo Looooooooo Loooooooooo Loooooooooo

Eric.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2010
    It was also great fun for a lot of americans who wouldn't otherwise watch hockey. I think I read that 2/3 of US televisions that were on were tuned to the game. Although the US didn't win. The US goalie, Miller, probably became a bigger celebrity through the olympics losing than he would have by winning the Stanley Cup.

All the same Congratulations to the Canadian hockey players and their fans!
  • edited March 2010
    I used to be a huge hockey-fan,that was in the time of W.Gretzky and Yzerman and the legendary K.L.M. line of the Soviets.Then they stopped showing the NHL on t.v. here and now I can only see big finals and olympics.(Soccer is a lot "bigger" over here.)This final really kept me on the edge of my seat.
    Jeffrey I must say;Miller is one of the real greats and one to be proud of.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    It was also great fun for a lot of americans who wouldn't otherwise watch hockey. I think I read that 2/3 of US televisions that were on were tuned to the game. Although the US didn't win. The US goalie, Miller, probably became a bigger celebrity through the olympics losing than he would have by winning the Stanley Cup.

All the same Congratulations to the Canadian hockey players and their fans!
    In Canada more than 26 million viewers tuned in to the game and that's roughly 90% (85%?) of our population! :eek:
    It was the most widely viewed broadcast in Canadian history.

I wonder what Sydney Crosby was thinking when he heard that stat. Probably, "I'm the most famous hockey player....EVER!"
  • edited March 2010
    I loved the way Canada presented the games.The last few games it was all so "over the top",like it was a contest who could make the crazyest,most expensive games.I loved the way they kept it "reserved",sophisticated a bit "homely".The last time I saw that was in Lillehammer(Norway).
    I hope that in the future it doesn`t become to much of a "circus".

People,best wishes;Eric...:)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2010
    My only problem was that 90% of the time I tuned in the only thing on was curling. Which is an interesting sport and strangely hypnotic. At the same time I wished I had seen more variety.
  • edited March 2010
    Hey, I hear that Canada has the longest boarder with the United States. Isn't it time we raised the rent? Hey, just kidding, some of my best friends are Canadian. Isn't that what all us bigots say?? :buck::buck::buck:
  • edited March 2010
    Hey, I hear that Canada has the longest boarder with the United States. Isn't it time we raised the rent? Hey, just kidding, some of my best friends are Canadian. Isn't that what all us bigots say?? :buck::buck::buck:

Hehe... good point but maybe it should be they that should be raising the rent considering Canada is the home to the most livable city in the world according to the most recent report by The Economist. Canada in fact has 2 of its cities in the top 10 but Australia just pips it with 3! Hardly surprising for those of us living here but we don't really want word getting out. I'll have to sabotage any websites with this, let's call it... mis-information.:D
  • edited March 2010
    That what makes a city livable for you might be totally different to what makes a city livable for me.For me those small "facts" are fun but nothing more,there are to many variables to take them seriously.(It`s just my opinion).
    I wish everybody all the best,greetings:Eric...
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I wasnt into the games until seeing (Calgary) K.D. Lang in her wonderful boxy man-suit singing (Montreal) Cohen's Hallelujah. It created a certain national family feeling IMHO. It was also great to see Neil Young at the closing.
    edited March 2010
    Neil Young rocks. He is my favorite Canadian musician. I don't like the olympics, it has become more about countries and politics than athletic accomplishmnet. The olympic commitee did anounce that rock climbing will now be a sport in the 2020. Woohoo for that.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Vangelis wrote: »
    Hehe... good point but maybe it should be they that should be raising the rent considering Canada is the home to the most livable city in the world according to the most recent report by The Economist. Canada in fact has 2 of its cities in the top 10 but Australia just pips it with 3! Hardly surprising for those of us living here but we don't really want word getting out. I'll have to sabotage any websites with this, let's call it... mis-information.:D
    Australia and Canada!! Woo Hoo!! Lol!!
    Eric wrote: »
    That what makes a city livable for you might be totally different to what makes a city livable for me.For me those small "facts" are fun but nothing more,there are to many variables to take them seriously.(It`s just my opinion).
    I wish everybody all the best,greetings:Eric...
    SO true. I know for some, life in a tropical region would be paradise but for me it would be hell. I just can't tolerate heat. I need crisp, cool air and snow for at least part of the year.
    I wasnt into the games until seeing (Calgary) K.D. Lang in her wonderful boxy man-suit singing (Montreal) Cohen's Hallelujah. It created a certain national family feeling IMHO. It was also great to see Neil Young at the closing.
    I wasn't into the games either. I just watched the last hockey game for obvious reasons and the closing ceremonies because I wanted to see Neil Young. LOVE him....
    Neil Young rocks. He is my favorite Canadian musician. I don't like the olympics, it has become more about countries and politics than athletic accomplishmnet. The olympic commitee did anounce that rock climbing will now be a sport in the 2020. Woohoo for that.
    I think rock climbing should have been an Olympic sport way before now. I don't know much about it but I do know that it's highly specialized, extremely athletic, and it takes a lot of time and huge effort to get good at it.
    edited March 2010
    I agree completely Brigid. It is quite popular as a spectactor sport, too, at least in Europe, not so much in the U.S. CLimbing does take a lot of time and dedication. I spend over 10 hours a week climbing and I am no where near the professional level. The funny thing is I know some people who double the time in the gym than me.

I am excited to see it in 2020, too bad some really good climbers won't ever get to compete because they will be old farts by then.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I was half watching this TV show a few weeks ago about a couple who climb and the women was major. I mean MAJOR. She was awesome. She talked about how she bulked up her body at the gym the year before because she thought it would help with her climbing but it turned out to be a pretty big hindrance. This year she dropped a lot of the extra muscle, got much leaner and lighter in weight and she said she could do stuff now that she could only dream of earlier. Her stamina, which of course is key to climbing, doubled and her speed increased. She also enjoyed the sport a lot more.

So I guess the people building muscle in the gym might not be doing themselves any great favours. :)