Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism Bewilderment

Hi. Im d'aubrey. Im new to this, but very fascinated and willing to learn please help me and guide me...somebody!

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited August 2005
    Welcome aboard.

Well, to start, let's ask this: What do you want to know? :)

You've come to the right place, we can definitely help you learn more about the buddhist path :thumbsup:
  • kinleekinlee Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Hi. Im d'aubrey. Im new to this, but very fascinated and willing to learn please help me and guide me...somebody!

I am learning from others too.
    We will be learning great teachings together. :)

cheers,
  • edited August 2005
    Well, Its me, daubrey. I'd like to know if you can be a buddhist christian. what it takes to be buddhist, and what can I do to make my life better?
  • edited August 2005
    As far as I know there shouldn't be any conflict between being a Buddhist and being a Christian. Have you ever seen the Simpsons episode where Lisa becomes a Buddhist and thinks she can't celebrate Christmas?
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Welcome.
  • edited September 2005
    Sure, I've heard of people being both Buddhist and Christian. I was raised in an evangelical tradition of Christianity though, and was raised with the idea that we had the truth and that all other religions were essentially lies. I've long since given up that tradition in favor of atheistic naturalism. I can't see that sort of Christianity as being compatable with Buddhism . . . actually I think any religious view that thinks it has a corner on the truth is incompatable with Buddhism.

On the other hand, the more open-minded Christianities are compatable. You may want to take a look at a book called Living Buddha, Living Christ. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1573225681/qid=1125853304/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-6195996-1020063?v=glance&s=books&n=507846. Thich Nhat Hanh caused me to really rethink what good there is to be had in the Christian traditions. I'm still considering myself an atheist, but this book did help me open up my mind a little more.

Actually if I'd read this book with my old evangelical christian mindset, I would have thought of it as a work of deception. So I had to shed my old beliefs before even considering the idea that a Buddhist monk could say anything productive and true about Christianity. But that is a whole other story that I'm not getting into here . :lol:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    daubrey, given that most of us are from the West, you could take it for granted that most - if not all - of us have had some kind of Christian influence in our lives; and as with anything, we could view that as DEstructive, CONstructive or neutral....
    For my part, I have not had it too bad.... the transition for me, from Christianity to Buddhism was fairly easy and unchallenged by those around me, so I have not come across any vitriolic or hostile resistance, resentment or conflict. Others have had different experiences. And we therefore have different reasons for thinking the things we do.
    If what you are asking is "can I celebrate Christmas with gifts and Easter with chocolate eggs?" then the answer is "yes' of course you can." There must be countless thousands of Christians who attend church at these times not as a serious devotional matter, but because "Hey! It's Christmas! Carols, and Santa and the crib and goodwill to all Men right?"
    If however, you're asking 'Can I devote my practise to adhering to the Buddhist set of ideals, yet still attend church, worship God, believe in Christ and work to direct my Soul towards Eternal Salvation and Heaven?" Then the question becomes seriously theological. Only you can answer that one..... :)