Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A couple application questions

edited March 2010 in Meditation
During the day, I've been struggling to "realize" or understand that what I am seeing is actually what I'm seeing. I think I've been so disconnected for so long that I'm not sure what is and what isn't. Sometimes I feel that I'm seeing clearly and aware of it, sometimes I'm aware but not seeing clearly. Can anyone offer some advice?

Also, during my sittings, when thoughts arise in my mind, I usually just say "thinking... thinking... thinking", so on and so forth, until the thoughts go away. However, should I direct the mental note to the actual thought, instead of simply saying "thinking" to myself in my head?

Thanks a bunch!

Comments

• edited March 2010
    I imagine simply noting 'thinking' without attaching is good.

I also imagine seeing and noting 'shapes and colors' as a good practice for the sight thingy.

I imagine any elaboration on this is usually imagining.

Imagine that! :D
  • edited March 2010
    I used to think 'thinking' (sorta) as well, just as I used to think 'breath in', 'breath out' when doing breathing meditation. I've found that if you can manage it, actually not thinking of a word at all is even more useful. After all, did not our ability to think exist before thinking with words? We don't need 'em.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited March 2010
    see whether it is possible to see (not with eyes but with mind) the thoughts
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2010
    rrom wrote: »
    Also, during my sittings, when thoughts arise in my mind, I usually just say "thinking... thinking... thinking", so on and so forth, until the thoughts go away. However, should I direct the mental note to the actual thought, instead of simply saying "thinking" to myself in my head?

Thanks a bunch!

There are different levels to this. Say you're thinking about what you're going to eat later. This could be labelled "thinking", "planning", "desire", "restlesness", and so on. So you can go deeper into the significance of the thoughts. Either way, keep it simple.

P