Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

hellish dreams

edited April 2010 in Meditation
tonight i basically woke up from a nightmare... my cat came into my room a few minutes after i woke up and i questioned her motives. hahahaha. i thought she could have been demonic. so i've had these dreams, about once a month i get these really horrible, often grotesque, terrifying, macabre dreams that scare the spit out of me when i wake up, and i'm visited by demons and witches, and the ugly spirit comes blowing through my mind when i get these dreams, and when i wake up i'm not sure what to think of them. does anyone have a helpful buddhist explanation of these things, is this just a natural process of buddhist practice where the darker corners of my subconscious are coming to light and being purged, or what? before i went to bed and prayed for the hell realms to be cleaned, but i don't know if there's any connection, if that instigated any thing. jesus! a tree full of severed heads. gross!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2010
    One - I have no idea, and doubt it has any Buddhist connotations, but I never o remember my dreams, and if I do, they're never bad. So what would I know?

Two - watch your language.
    There are minors using this board, and regardless of whether they hear worse elsewhere, that's no reason for them to be exposed to it here.
    Of all places.

Edit your post, thanks.
    or I could do it for you......;)
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited March 2010
    does anyone have a helpful buddhist explanation of these things

A buddhist explanation of dreams? You know that is actually a very interesting question. I have no idea.
  • edited March 2010
    I don't have a buddhist explanation, but I love dreams.

And all I can say is don't worry, it's just a dream.

I don't get the excitement of having a truly terrifying dream anymore. While it can be horrible, try to enjoy it.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited March 2010
    According to traditional Buddhist teaching, nightmares are caused by a kind of spirit (kumbhandas). You can prevent them from happening by reciting refuge every day and burning incense in your house in front of an image of the Buddha.

Less traditionally, I'd look to see if there are any unresolved emotional issues in your life and work at resolving them.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited March 2010
    add to Jinsang, do more metta meditation

we can develop the metta meditation like:

may all sentient beings/ beings in 31 planes be well and happy!!!
  • edited March 2010
    I've been diagnosed with as severe PTSD as it's possible to have. This includes hellish, very disturbing, nightmares. Training has given me the ability to embrace the nightmares with out lashing out in my sleep and kinda come up into semi-wakefulness as they begin to arise. This conditioning along with a technique called 're-scripting', learned form a very good therapist, allows me to stop the dream, breathe in and out a few breaths to settle the mind/emotions (fear) and imagine another story line or outcome. This has really helped. I also practice reciting a few mantras, usually Om Mani Padme Hum as I drift off to sleep along with deep and slow breathing.

Hope this helps. :smilec:
  • edited March 2010
    thank you everybody, and yeah when i woke up i was like... man, the world be crazy, and i had a new sort of small appreciation for others... i had this other dream a couple months ago where i was in this marsh/meadow and i was surrounded by incans or aztecans and these aztecan men were so angry and raging and beating their wives and killing people and getting ready for war, it was scary, it was like the apocolypse. i wish i had more dream control but i have not practised lucid dreaming enough. but i do think meditating has helped me be more aware in dreams! they are kind of interesting though, but initially when i wake up from these things i'm scared spitless, as i said. but looking back on them, it's like remembering these super psychedelic horror films. anyways, thanks again everybody and bob that sucks that you have ptsd. if you don't mind me asking where you in the vietnam war?
  • edited March 2010
    Hi Pietro,

In the military, not in Vietnam. Was raised in an extremely violent culture, nearly killed by mother at two years old, in a coma for six months. Beaten pretty regularly by step-father and male relatives to 'toughen me up' trained to take up the family business of providing 'security and logistics' for very ruthless criminal organizations and did very well proving myself capable, martial arts and Zazen training gave me a kind of edge in that culture. I became known as a very dangerous individual, feared by enemies and respected by peers.

The war I was involved in was on the streets between rival criminal organizations and those who threatened family and friends in major U.S. cities on both coasts. This war had no rules, aside form those imposed by the strongest and most ruthless. I spent many years as an operative and urban guerrilla earning all the horrific memories and physical damage that comes with that hellish life, along with a twenty year stay in Oregon State Penitentiary.

It was only through the trained ability to easily slip in and out of a trance like mental state of highly concentrated selfless action that I survived, both physically and mentally. My teacher called it single pointed concentration. Yet even though I was blessed with survival, as many of my relatives and friends did not (some of them dying in my arms), I carry the wounds and scars, along with deep regret for all the harm done to others and self.

So, enough of that story.

Tonight at Sangha, the teacher shared some information I'd like to add to my last post. Along with settling to sleep with breathing and mantra he spoke about paying sustained attention to the body with gratitude - being grateful to the body for supporting us and gently touching different parts of our body with the mind in gratitude - thank you feet, thank you heart, etc. as a way to rest peacefully. I thought, oh yeah what a great practice and thought of your thread and wanted to share that with you.

Be well friend and sleep with peace.

I'll be traveling to Portland to sit with a couple of the Thich Nhat Hanh groups up there soon and will be attending a public retreat at Great Vow Monastery the end of April, perhaps we may meet then.
  • edited March 2010
    I also suffer from very vivid, frightening nightmares. Fear is something that I now carry with me both in my dreams and daily life and something that I cannot seem to shake from the back of my mind. My nightmares occur far more frequently than Pietro's, happening on a nearly daily basis. The realistic images and emotions that I endure have begun to affect me in my waking life. I am now trying to understand the origins of these nightmares and hope that it will lead to a solution, but I have had them since childhood (only getting continually more frightening and frequent). The situations that I am exposed to in my dreams causes me great anxiety and paranoia. I find it to be embarassing to talk about to my loved ones, because I don't want them to judge me. I often feel like there is a cloud of doom over my shoulder and have negative thoughts throughout the day.

I am trying to discover what will give me inner peace and perhaps help me move beyond this crippling problem. If anyone can help, it would be very appreciated.
  • edited March 2010
    frequently having nightmares means there's some sort of psychological disturbance going on deep in your mindskull... it may be useful to talk to both a zen teacher & a psychoanalyst. hope you get better. try to think positively, remember all these things are illusory and impermanent, and can be gotten rid of with enough effort. maybe try something cathartic like writing or art,.
  • edited March 2010
    frequently having nightmares means there's some sort of psychological disturbance going on deep in your mindskull... it may be useful to talk to both a zen teacher & a psychoanalyst. hope you get better. try to think positively, remember all these things are illusory and impermanent, and can be gotten rid of with enough effort. maybe try something cathartic like writing or art,.
    Wait...weren't you the one asking for help with your own nightmares at the beginning of this thread?

Now you're counseling this other person, explaining to them what their own nightmares are about, and how to cure them.

How did that happen? Did you work out your own cure? Are you talking with a Zen teacher/psychoanalyst yourself?

There's also a Tibetan practice called Dream Yoga, which purports to cover all these bases. Check out the book The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep, which I'm currently reading. It lays out the entire system in a very wise and well-written Buddhist context.
  • edited March 2010
    zendo wrote: »
    Wait...weren't you the one asking for help with your own nightmares at the beginning of this thread?
    nope, twasn't me
    There's also a Tibetan practice called Dream Yoga, which purports to cover all these bases. Check out the book The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep, which I'm currently reading. It lays out the entire system in a very wise and well-written Buddhist context.
    soundsgood
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2010
    If you remember buddhism as a refuge in response to distress it is possible to remember buddhism in horrible dreams. I have them too and sometimes I remember buddhism in my dream. At first I would take refuge in buddha as a protector in the dream and that gave me some comfort. One dream I even decided to meditate in the midst of the horrible beings. It also can tie you into the knowledge that you are asleep which means that you might actually lucid dream. Just as in meditation all of these witches and severed heads are 'just thinking'. They appear, abide, and go all out of thin air of your mind.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I don't know if this has been said yet because I didn't look at the posts but I'll tell you what I do know.

I've heard that Buddhists think that dreams are no big deal/and or does not focus on them in the teachings.

Loving Kindness mediation helps with dreams and sleep and I know this from first hand experience.

I've had hellish dreams myself which made me too scared to go back to sleep.
  • edited April 2010
    Thanks for all the advice. I will look into some of these different things. Currently, been trying to avoid any type of media that puts bad images in my mind and sleeping during the day if I can to try and make up for it. The nightmares have subsided some for the past week, but they always come is phases. Thanks again!
  • edited April 2010
    Its best not to pay any attention to dreams. They can vary according to whether one has eaten a large meal before sleeping or be a jumbled reflection of daytime thoughts and events. Dwelling on them and attaching any significance to them is just solidifying the non-existent.

Relaxation and meditation techniques before sleeping can be helpful.

• edited April 2010
    dreams are a little more than meaningless phantasmagoria, it's the activity of the subtle mind and can reveal to you many things about your awakened life, what kind of cravings you're attached to, what people you resent, what your heart desires; i've derived a lot of meaning from my dreams in the past. of course, a lot of it just a scrambling whirlpool of images and emotions and feelings, but let us not dismiss it only as mind spew, dreams and dream interpretation can be very beneficial to a buddhist
  • edited April 2010
    , dreams and dream interpretation can be very beneficial to a buddhist

The only dreams that have been significant to me have been ones predicting the future and they have a different quality. The other stuff is just drivel. I rarely dream these days anyway.

When you say dreams and dream interpretation can be 'very beneficial to a Buddhist' it depends on which tradition and cultural add-ons you're practicing with. I doubt the Buddha said anything about dreams in the Pali Canon.

There's certainly plenty to be said about dreams in western psychology or 'New Age' thinking - not forgetting Tibetan Dream Yoga too of course.

Meditation and mindfulness together with the development of present moment clarity and awareness are good methods of pacifying troublesome sleep patterns.

• edited April 2010
    yes, meditation and general awareness are the best things to practice to pacify unsettling dreams, and we also have at our disposal dream yoga (which im not really familiar with) and general psychoanalysis, which just because it isnt buddhist or taught by the buddha, doesnt discount it, though as a buddhist i'd still be slightly wary of it simply because it doesn't generally fall within the buddhist framework, but as i said i wouldnt completely discount it.