Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

porcupine

edited April 2010 in Meditation
Nansen Cuts the Cat in Two
Nansen saw the monks of the eastern and western halls fighting over a cat. He seized the cat and told the monks: `If any of you say a good word, you can save the cat.' No one answered. So Nansen boldly cut the cat in two pieces.
That evening Joshu returned and Nansen told him about this. Joshu removed his sandals and, placing them on his head, walked out.
Nansen said: `If you had been there, you could have saved the cat.'
Mumon's Comment: Why did Joshu put his sandals on his head? If anyone answers this question, he will understand exactly how Nansen enforced the edict. If not, he should watch his own head.

Had Joshu been there,
He would have enforced the edict oppositely.
Joshua snatches the sword
And Nansen begs for his life.

http://www.ibiblio.org/zen/gateless-gate/14.html

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Nansen Cuts the Cat in Two
    So Nansen boldly cut the cat in two pieces.

Sounds like a serious breach of the first precept to me. Why not have the monks arguing over a loaf of bread?

P
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Alice sighed wearily. `I think you might do something better with the time,' she said, `than waste it in asking riddles that have no answers.'
  • edited March 2010
    cheshire-cat-5-445x356.jpg

maybe the cat was their mind...! the fool's drought of duality...? i have no idea.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I wonder if that's the point ... to give up "having an idea" ... ?