Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Rebirth: can we simply say "we don't know"?

shadowleavershadowleaver Veteran
edited March 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I am reading the Tibetan Book of Living and Dying by Sogyal Rinpoche. I find it to be useful reading but when I hit the chapter on Rebirth I felt some disappointment.

The author is trying to convince the reader that Rebirth is for real. The ways in which he's doing so are fairly typical of religious apologetics: ask the reader to be "open-minded" and allow for the possibility of Rebirth, bring up some extraordinary stories of people who said they remembered past lives, put together a purely philosophical "argument" for Rebirth that reads well but lacks any concrete evidence and then summarize by saying that a life without an afterlife is meaningless.

Ironically, when I was deeply interested in Christianity, I got exposed to a large share of that kind of reasoning. In fact, the name of C.S. Lewis, the famous English Christian apologetics writer came to my mind immediately. It's just that with Christians, what you're being convinced of is slightly different: that Jesus was indeed God, that Christianity is the only true religion, that we live exactly once and then go to either hell or heaven or that sex outside of marriage is always wrong. The quality and nature of the "arguments" are, however, always the same-- regardless of what they argue for. The bottom line is that what I find in some Buddhist literature and other religious literature is apologetics-- a way of putting words neatly together that, to an uncritical reader, can "prove" absolutely anything. Hard evidence is always lacking.

Insistence on blind faith is one of the main reasons I became discouraged with Christianity and organized religion in general. I still haven't quite learned to cope with that same insistence on blind faith in many Buddhist circles: how is Rebirth different from resurrection, virgin birth, walking on water, heaven, hell, an angel talking to Prophet Mohammad in a cave or alien abductions? To me, it isn't different-- it's pure dogma just like all the others. Basing your life on something that cannot be possibly proven or experienced is something I have a lot of trouble with. Why can't we just leave these "big questions" (Rebirth for Buddhists, God for Christians etc) alone and just honestly say: we don't and probably can't know but let's just make the best out what we do know? Saying "I don't know" and moving on seems like a very Buddhist thing to do to me.

Luckily for a sceptic like me, there appear to be plenty of Buddhists in the West who seem to take that agnostic attitude. But are they really Buddhists or did they just realize that Buddhism has a lot of practical wisdom that makes life better and borrowed some of it? I suppose I belong to that category.

What do you think about Rebirth?

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Most people do not know and I think the correct thing is to be honest. Its ok to believe for or against rebirth, but if you don't know then you just realize that that is just a belief.

I think the one problem I uncovered with not believing in rebirth is that it makes suicide a viable means to become without suffering. Which obviously is wrong but if you took the two propisitions that death is the end of everything and second that the end of suffering is the goal. Well the obvious answer is to commit suicide.
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited March 2010
    This type of faith is something that some people can hold on to for the day where the light leaves their eyes. And if when they die they are no longer a conscious being as long as they believed in some security, maybe they died a happier death than the one who didn't believe. And perhaps the social circle from their religion also lead them to have a happier less lonely life. I believe those are important factors to consider rather than trying to prove or question that rebirth is real.

If rebirth is real I remember nothing from my previous lives despite being open minded. However, once when I was 4 years old I opened the front door of my grandmother's house when I felt like there was someone there. To my surprise stood 3 grown men. They were dressed in native like apparel, skull like make up, earrings, jewelry and feathers. They looked fierce, enough for me to slam the door on them after getting a look.

Before this age I had never seen anything like them, but what I saw was very distinct and still remembered very clearly even today. So I later realized the men I saw were how some Aztec warriors/witchdoctors are portrayed. So that made me wonder if I knew those ghosts from a previous life, as it did almost seem like they came to visit me at a young age.
  • edited March 2010
    Rebirth in Buddhism isn't something that is meant to simply be believed; it is explained as a part of the causal chain of existence, with consciousness preceding life and flowing through it.

The fact is that the core of Buddhism itself is not in any way proven by the words. The words do not prove the simple experience of awakening/liberation that one undergoes for each successive level of Nibbana (stream-enterer, once-returner, non-returner and Arahant).

Only those individuals who have attained these states have found actual proof of Buddhism's truth for themselves. Likewise, the idea of rebirth, while alien to most in the West or thought somehow to be an issue of blind faith, may not be knowable to other than the fully enlightened.

The issue of whether rebirth is true or not, indeed whether it was even taught by the Buddha, rages on between those who are of either opinion and have formed an attachment to these views. I believe either belief or dis-belief without personal realization to be Wrong View.

To conclude, it is my opinion that you should accept that many Buddhists believe rebirth to be something that the Buddha taught, understand how it fits in conceptually, and simply "wait and see" what your own realization shows it to be in the future. No arguments or attachments on the subject have ever led to a consensus, and as such only lead to further dukkha and a hindrance to obtaining liberation.
  • edited March 2010
    I do "believe" in rebirth myself, but I don't think Buddhism should, or in most cases, does require a faith that it is real. I don't say that I know reincarnation is real, because I realize that my belief is merely based on anecdotal evidence.

I do think that many people desire to have some sort of belief about an afterlife. The earliest indication we have that early humans developed religious beliefs came from burials and artifacts showing that people were considering what happened after death. It seems to me that, in a way, Buddhism uses rebirth to address this concern for the after life for people who still need it.

It would probably also help to understand that the culture that Buddhism arose within didn't really question the process of reincarnation. It was simply how people understood the world to be. Naturally then, the concept of reincarnation came to occupy a pretty central role in Buddhism.

I have to wonder too if those chapters are more meant for Western peoples who still hold strict beliefs that there is heaven and hell after death, or even those who militantly believe that there can not possibly be anything after death.

As an interesting side note though, Dr. Ian Stevenson (formerly a respected Department head at the University of Virginia) dedicated his life's work to researching case studies of reincarnation around the world. His most interesting work documented the birthmarks of children supposedly remembering a specific person's past life, and then comparing those birthmarks with the autopsy reports of the supposed former incarnations. It's not enough to prove the existence of reincarnation, but you have to admit, it is enough to prove the possibility of it.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2010
    ...there appear to be plenty of Buddhists in the West who seem to take that agnostic attitude...
    Actually, the attitude you are referring to is not exclusively Western.

:)
  • shadowleavershadowleaver Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    I think the one problem I uncovered with not believing in rebirth is that it makes suicide a viable means to become without suffering. Which obviously is wrong but if you took the two propisitions that death is the end of everything and second that the end of suffering is the goal. Well the obvious answer is to commit suicide.

I believe the very nature of life is to crave for itself. Not wanting to die is the strongest desire out there. No belief whatsoever is necessary to keep living things from killing themselves.

But you're making a good point-- if you're accepting Buddhism partially, in particular that ridding oneself from suffering is the goal and also that all desire (and desire for life is also desire) is lamentable, the temptation of suicide may arise...yet I think one must have other issues to really follow through.
    edited March 2010
    Stephen wrote: »
    Rebirth in Buddhism isn't something that is meant to simply be believed; it is explained as a part of the causal chain of existence, with consciousness preceding life and flowing through it.
    Acutally, the Buddha did not teach like this. The Buddha never taught consciousness comes from a preceding life.

The Buddha taught there are six kinds of consciousness which are depend on sense organs; that without a sense organ, there is no origin of consciousness.

There is one teaching in the suttas (DN) that appears to assert consciousness is somehow related to the origin of life. As this one sutta stands in contradiction to the scores of other suttas, naturally, it is dismissed.

The Buddha taught whatever consciousness, subtle or gross, it is impermanent, its arising & passing has been discerned.

Theories about a continuum of consciousness arose after the Buddha.

edited March 2010
    If rebirth is real I remember nothing from my previous lives despite being open minded. However, once when I was 4 years old I opened the front door of my grandmother's house when I felt like there was someone there. To my surprise stood 3 grown men. They were dressed in native like apparel, skull like make up, earrings, jewelry and feathers. They looked fierce, enough for me to slam the door on them after getting a look.

That's really trippy :)
    edited March 2010
    Only those individuals who have attained these states have found actual proof of Buddhism's truth for themselves. .
    This is still blind faith and something the Buddha did not encourage.

When one studies the actual words of the Buddha, he defined two levels of teaching, namely, mundane & supramundane.

Rebirth forms part of mundane teachings, which where taught to the ordinary man in the street and sometimes to the lazy monks.

If one actually reads the original Buddhist scriptures, one will find teachings that appear to infer rebirth are mentioned in the minority of teachings.

:smilec:
    edited March 2010
    Only those individuals who have attained these states have found actual proof of Buddhism's truth for themselves. Likewise, the idea of rebirth, while alien to most in the West or thought somehow to be an issue of blind faith, may not be knowable to other than the fully enlightened.

I have no trouble with this approach. I can very much imagine that if you practice a lot and practice right you're going to have a super-vision or something that cannot possibly be conveyed to someone who hasn't had the experience.

But then why teach ribirth to everyone? Why not just say that if you practice you're going to have a huge transformation of consciousness that will make you see your life in a revolutionary new light that you cannot possibly imagine in your present state?
    edited March 2010
    Only those individuals who have attained these states have found actual proof of Buddhism's truth for themselves.
    One needs to be careful of the kind of sentiment expressed above.

One can simply read the Susima Sutta, which reports multitudes of fully enlightened beings who stated they had no insight into the commonly held belief of "past lives".

If one studies the suttas that infer rebirth, most of these were taught to Brahmins & laypeople and sometimes lazy monks.

For example, in the Buddha's first three sermons, which resulted in many enlightened beings, rebirth was not even mentioned.

edited March 2010
    When one actually studies the Buddhist scriptures and the Pali it is derived from, one will find a multitude of different Pali words that the Western translators translate as "rebirth".

Most of the time, the Buddha did not even use the word "rebirth" at all.

edited March 2010
    I am reading the Tibetan Book of Living and Dying by Sogyal Rinpoche. I find it to be useful reading but when I hit the chapter on Rebirth I felt some disappointment.
    There are many authors you can read.

Try this site: http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/ and the authors Buddhadasa, Ajahn Chah, Ajahn Sumedho, Prayudh Payutto , Thich Nhat Hanh, Chandako, Viradhammo.

For simpler teachings, one can try Ajahn Sumedho or Thich Nhat Hanh.

For deeper teachings, one can try Buddhadasa, esp:

Buddha Dhamma for University Students
    Two Kinds of Language
    Help! The Kalama Sutta, Help!
    The ABCs of Buddhism
    Handbook for Mankind
    Natural Cure for Spiritual Disease
    Nibbana for Everyone
    No Religion
    Patticasamupada - Practical Dependent Origination

Good luck

edited March 2010
    A teaching to encourage morality in people.

• edited March 2010
    Hi
    ...how is Rebirth different from resurrection, virgin birth, walking on water, heaven, hell, an angel talking to Prophet Mohammad in a cave

I don't think it is in any significant sense:)
    or alien abductions?

I dont know about the abduction part but alien's themselves have evidence for their existence, ie, we should expect they exist based on obvious principles of reason, the same isn't true for the supernatural things you mention.

To me, it isn't different-- it's pure dogma just like all the others.

we need to be careful when calling something dogmatic:) If I belive in rebirth that belive isnt dogma, its when I try to tell you are wrong etc that it becomes dogmatic.

Saying "I don't know" and moving on seems like a very Buddhist thing to do to me.

Me too:) Equally us "mebirthers" cant be sure there is no rebirth.

Luckily for a sceptic like me, there appear to be plenty of Buddhists in the West who seem to take that agnostic attitude.

How do you know that the Buddha didn't explicitly teach nonrebirth?:)

But are they really Buddhists

There were no real buddhists in the time of the Buddha:)

Mat
    edited March 2010
    Thank you, Dhamma Dhatu.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2010

I think that people often confuse what they personally believe with what they think the Buddha taught.
    Anyway IMO a "don't know" position is fine and better than getting all attached to a particular view.

P
  • edited March 2010
    BTW when people keep quoting me saying "Only those individuals who have attained these states have found actual proof of Buddhism's truth for themselves." and thinking I mean rebirth, it is taken out of context. I was saying two things in my original post; the second thing I was saying, which this quote is about, concerned that even the simple yet profound experience of realization itself can not be understood on the conceptual level, merely acknowledged. Hence it was in support of the idea that we may not be able to understand rebirth on the conceptual level either; the truth, one way or another, may only be knowable through realization. Debating over it is just expressing opinions based on respective schools, or upon belief/opinion that a certain set of texts is the only authoritative and authentic teachings of the Buddha (and I know one individual's entire train of thought is based on that opinion).

There is no consensus, ever, on this subject. There are only people fighting over it. ;)
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Getting back to the original question, I believe that an honest "I don't know" is always better than trying to force yourself to believe something you really don't believe.

We need to tread a middle path between the "Believe only what you can confirm with your own reason" nonsense that gets attributed to the Buddha, and the "You have to believe it because the Buddha taught it" attitude of some "true believers". The first is an invitation to believe only your own opinions, and the second is a form of self-inflicted mental violence that isn't likely to lead to wisdom or liberation.

In regard to rebirth, DD has helpfully pointed out that this is an ethical teaching. The Buddha clearly believed in rebirth, but he also did not view it as a view that leads to liberation. He thought it was important because he thought it would promote ethical behavior. Ethical behavior doesn't lead toward liberation, but it does avoid things that lead away from liberation. So belief in rebirth is not a goal in itself, but avoiding unethical behavior is an intermediate goal; something that helps us reach the final goal.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Rebirth makes perfect sense to me and can be observed directly, moment to moment, day to day, year to year. In this sense it is confirmed by experience. It makes perfect sense that this process continues beyond the event horizon of death,....but having no direct experience of that I have to say I dont know. There is confidence that it is so, but that confidence is not direct knowing.
    edited March 2010
    RenGalskap wrote: »
    So belief in rebirth is not a goal in itself, but avoiding unethical behavior is an intermediate goal; something that helps us reach the final goal.

I understand this stance. I can see some benefit in encouraging people to believe something just so they don't go astray. Accepting afterlife (whether heaven/hell, rebirth or reincarnation is irrelevant) certainly can demotivate one from doing mischief.

And yet ultimately I'm not sure whether that solves more problems than it introduces. Well-intentioned or not, we're still talking Blind Faith. And if you're in the mindset to accept just one thing on faith, you are at risk of accepting other things as well. For instance, you may start with believing rebirth and end up believing that your master can possibly do no wrong-- at that point, vary bad things happen.

I don't know about humanity as a whole, but I know that I'd better stick with scepticism and using my own head before any englightened people or books.
    edited March 2010
    Accepting afterlife (whether heaven/hell, rebirth or reincarnation is irrelevant) certainly can demotivate one from doing mischief..
    it's a pretty brute way of demotivating. Atheists can be perfectly moral.
    if you're in the mindset to accept just one thing on faith, you are at risk of accepting other things as well. For instance, you may start with believing rebirth and end up believing that your master can possibly do no wrong-- at that point, vary bad things happen. .
    happens all the time
    I don't know about humanity as a whole, but I know that I'd better stick with scepticism and using my own head before any englightened people or books This is a reasonable position..
    While remaining open?
    edited March 2010
    I understand this stance. I can see some benefit in encouraging people to believe something just so they don't go astray.
    You quoted me, but then posted this. Who are you responding to?
    And yet ultimately I'm not sure whether that solves more problems than it introduces. Well-intentioned or not, we're still talking Blind Faith.
    What are you responding to?
    edited March 2010
    Rebirth makes perfect sense to me and can be observed directly, moment to moment, day to day, year to year.
    When I'm paying attention, the idea of rebirth never occurs to me.
  • edited March 2010
    Rebirth makes perfect sense to me and can be observed directly, moment to moment, day to day, year to year. In this sense it is confirmed by experience.

I agree, in this sense. But does not something change at death that makes the above differnt from the below:

It makes perfect sense that this process continues beyond the event horizon of death

Where does the perfect sense come from? When I look at the death of a tree it seems very similar to the death of a man.

You may retort, "Ahh but trees are not subject to clinging!"

To which I have a one word reply: vines.

Ohm Shanti

mat
    edited March 2010
    Rebirth makes perfect sense to me and can be observed directly, moment to moment, day to day, year to year. In this sense it is confirmed by experience. It makes perfect sense that this process continues beyond the event horizon of death,....
    Richard

You just exalted certain teachers but none of those teachers teach what you have stated above.

I posted those teachers as examples of non-teachers of rebirth

Any moment to moment rebirth is simply delusion.

The Buddha taught each birth (jati) is a new birth.

For example, if the tendency to anger and delusion takes birth in the mind, it is a new birth in that moment. It is not rebirth.

The conditions for its birth are a whole new set of conditions.

On the supramundane level, the Buddha taught birth (jati) rather than rebirth.

Moment to moment births are arising then passing.

There is constant birth & death of different things but no rebirth.

• edited March 2010
    For example, if the tendency to anger and delusion takes birth in the mind, it is a new birth in that moment. It is not rebirth.

On the supramundane level, the Buddha taught birth rather than rebirth.

There is constant birth & death of things but no rebirth.

DD i am confused, do you believe in post mortem rebirth?
    edited March 2010
    MatSalted wrote: »
    DD i am confused, do you believe in post mortem rebirth?
    No. What would give you that idea?

I said each birth is a new birth.

Birth of a physical body, birth of the functioning of a sense organ, birth of a feeling, defilement or thought, birth of the idea of 'self'.

When your eye looked at the computer yesterday, is it the same birth (arising) of eye contact as today?

edited March 2010
    Richard

And which sutta was that in?

P
    edited March 2010
    Richard

You just exalted certain teachers but none of those teachers teach what you have stated above.

I posted those teachers as examples of non-teachers of rebirth

Any moment to moment rebirth is simply delusion.

The Buddha taught each birth (jati) is a new birth.

There is constant birth & death of different things but no rebirth.

Having known one of these teachers for twenty years, been on many retreats,sat through many Dhamma talks, and having many conversations, your statement just isnt true. He has used similar language many times. In fact he has been very creative with language, maybe "undhammic" by a some peoples measure, with references to other non-buddhist traditions and teachers. Quite open.

I agree there is no re birth in the sense of the carrying over of an essence or substance, but coloquially that isnt a faux pas. Incidentlally you should read Thich Nhat Hahn's beautiful writings on the Heart and Diamond Sutras.
  • edited March 2010
    This is partially why I choose to follow Zen.

What is just is.
    When you eat just eat.
  • edited March 2010
    Why can't we just leave these "big questions" (Rebirth for Buddhists, God for Christians etc) alone and just honestly say: we don't and probably can't know but let's just make the best out what we do know?
    Who is saying you "can't"? You can do whatever you want, for you create your own world.
    Saying "I don't know" and moving on seems like a very Buddhist thing to do to me.
    I totally agree! If there's one thing Buddhism teaches, it's that experience--not "faith"--is the touchstone. The Buddha said not to take his word for anything, but to test everything out for ourselves.

The words "I don't know" seem to me among the wisest and most honest words we can speak. But because those words entail uncertainty--and uncertainty can be a scary thing--many of us find it difficult to abide there: we feel compelled to put a definition on something, to make it less scary by at least pretending we know what it is. The illusion of knowing is more comforting than the reality of not-knowing.

Just follow the parts of the path that speak to you, and don't let yourself be distracted or discouraged by the side-issues. There are many such stumbling-blocks alongside the path, but the path itself is clear and simple.
  • edited March 2010
    Just follow the parts of the path that speak to you, and don't let yourself be distracted or discouraged by the side-issues. There are many such stumbling-blocks alongside the path, but the path itself is clear and simple.

Another reason I chose to follow Zen.....just be as you are
  • edited March 2010
    It seems that the majority of Buddhists have confidence in the 'literal' rebirth doctrine. If they are asked, for example: "What is reborn if there is no permanent, unchanging, eternal Self?"

Their response could be something on these lines: "If we can understand that in this life we can continue without a permanent, unchanging substance like the Self; why can't we understand that, after the non-functioning of the body, those same forces can continue to take some other shape or form without a permanent, unchanging Self behind them?"

I can think of one 'possible' answer here: The five aggregates are all inter-dependent. If one aggregate ceases to be, say the material form (rupa), then the other four aggregates also cease to be. Does this make sense? Or is there a better explanation to this?

:);)
  • edited March 2010
    Hiya
    sukhita wrote: »
    Their response could be something on these lines: "If we can understand that in this life we can continue without a permanent, unchanging substance like the Self; why can't we understand that, after the non-functioning of the body, those same forces can continue to take some other shape or form without a permanent, unchanging Self behind them?"

One might reply to such a response:

What forces? There is no force to Mind? There is just the body and its form and all other aspects of mind are determined by that form. When the body dies the form goes, so everything goes:)

Or one may say:

But in the body we can see the continuity or reborn self between moments, each moment's origination dependent on previous moments in connected and contiguous sequence yet when the body does the continuity does, there is simply no mechanisms that can transfer anything from a corpse to a newborn, which, if you think about it, is what is needed:)

Food for thought!:)

Mat

Q:why can't we understand that, after the non-functioning of the body, those same forces can continue to take some other shape or form without a permanent, unchanging Self behind them?"
    A: Because there are

I can think of one 'possible' answer here: The five aggregates are all inter-dependent. If one aggregate ceases to be, say the material form (rupa), then the other four aggregates also cease to be. Does this make sense? Or is there a better explanation to this?

:);)[/QUOTE]
    edited March 2010
    RenGalskap wrote: »
    When I'm paying attention, the idea of rebirth never occurs to me.
    This is straight to the actual point. :o
    edited March 2010
    sukhita wrote: »
    Their response could be something on these lines: "If we can understand that in this life we can continue without a permanent, unchanging substance like the Self; why can't we understand that, after the non-functioning of the body, those same forces can continue to take some other shape or form without a permanent, unchanging Self behind them?".

Does this make sense? Or is there a better explanation to this?

:);)
    It makes no sense to me because the Buddha taught rebirth to promote morality or avoidance of self-harm. If rebirth becomes impersonal, there is no motivation to do good, apart from ultruistic intention.

For me, there is no explanation because one will not find one discourse of the Buddha where rebirth & not-self are taught together.

My view is those who try to teach in such a way, including Archariya Buddhaghosa, are merely convoluting the Buddha-Dhamma.

edited March 2010
    Having known one of these teachers for twenty years, been on many retreats,sat through many Dhamma talks, and having many conversations, your statement just isnt true.
    Richard

I have listened to scores of audio talks by Ajahn Sumedho and I have never heard him teach the post-mortem rebirth you referred to originally. Let me quote for you from Cittaviveka:
    But if you watch the way things operate independently of yourself, you begin to understand that rebirth is nothing more than desire seeking some object to absorb into, which will allow it to arise again. This is the habit of the heedless mind. When you get hungry, because of the way you've been conditioned, you go out and get something to eat. Now that's an actual rebirth: seeking something, being absorbed into that very thing itself. Rebirth is going on throughout the day and night, because when you get tired of being reborn you annihilate yourself in sleep. There's nothing more to it than that. It's what you can see. It's not a theory, but a way of examining and observing kammic actions.

Ajahn Sumedho

Seeking the pleasant, trying to be rid of the unpleasant is samsara. The more we do this, the more we want to do it, and the more we have to do it. We become addicted to this way of operating. We get into this very restless phenomenon called rebirth – becoming, doing, all the time. And this takes us away from our real home. This takes us away from the unconditioned, because pleasure and pain are always conditioned. As they change, we feel the need to change. As we grasp pleasure and pain, we find ourselves being spun around the samsaric wheel.

Ajahn Viradhammo

As for TNH, if I mistakenly included him in the list then it was an error. But I have never heard or read TNH teach rebirth either, including in the book No Fear, No Death (although he made what can be interpreted as a subtle inference in the language he was using at the end). My exposure to TNH has been moderate rather than extensive.
    Our greatest fear is that when we die we will become nothing. Many of us believe that our entire existence is only a life span beginning the moment we are born or conceived and ending the moment we die. We believe that we are born from nothing and when we die we become nothing. And so we are filled with fear of annihilation.
    The Buddha has a very different understanding of our existence. It is the understanding that birth and death are notions. They are not real. The fact that we think they are true makes a powerful illusion that causes our suffering. The Buddha taught that there is no birth; there is no death; there is no coming; there is no going; there is no same; there is no different; there is no permanent self; there is no annihilation. We only think there is. When we understand that we cannot be destroyed, we are liberated from fear. It is a great relief. We can enjoy life and appreciate it in a new way.
    edited March 2010
    Having known one of these teachers for twenty years, been on many retreats,sat through many Dhamma talks, and having many conversations, your statement just isnt true.
    We must be careful with what a teacher states to us personally.

It is best to refer to published works.

I once was staying in the monastery of a fierce non-rebirth monk.

A young woman came to me crying about her mother who died. I tried without success to explain impermanence to her.

I recommended to the young woman she speak to the abbot of the monastery.

The abbot spoke to her for merely a few minutes and she left with happiness.

She returned to me with scorn and I asked the abbot what he said to her.

He said to me: "I told her her mother did good in her life and she is in heaven".

• pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited March 2010
    We must be careful with what a teacher states to us personally.

It is best to refer to published works.

I once was staying in the monastery of a fierce non-rebirth monk.

A young woman came to me crying about her mother who died. I tried without success to explain impermanence to her.

I recommended to the young woman she speak to the abbot of the monastery.

The abbot spoke to her for merely a few minutes and she left with happiness.

She returned to me with scorn and I asked the abbot what he said to her.

He said to me: "I told her her mother did good in her life and she is in heaven".

The abbot has great wisdom.
  • edited March 2010
    Continuing with Ajahn Sumedho mentioned by DD #39, in his book 'The Sound of Silence' he says:
    The rebirth that I'm interested in is the rebirth that's happening now.

and

"When there's clinging, its because of an uninterrupted sequence of phassa, vedana, tanha, and upadana : there's a sense impingement and then a feeling arises, desire follows from that, and then attachment. So when I started exploring paticcasamuppada, I could catch it only at the attachment. Not at the desire; I couldn't catch the desire at first, but I could suddenly be aware I was attached to something. 'I'm suffering, and that means I'm attached to something.'

So if I was suffering I would ask 'What am I attached to?' I would investigate. What was I attached to? And then by investigating that, I began to see attachment to something ; I was reborn into a person who was angry with somebody at that moment.

You become that way, you become that: being born, grasping anger. One becomes reborn as an angry person. "

• edited March 2010

Buddha said in MN 131:

"And how does one place expectations on the future? One gets carried away with the delight of 'In the future I might have such a form (body)'... 'In the future I might have such a feeling'... 'In the future I might have such a perception'... 'In the future I might have such a thought-fabrication'... 'In the future I might have such a consciousness.' This is called placing expectations on the future.

"And how does one not place expectations on the future? One does not get carried away with the delight of 'In the future I might have such a form (body)'... 'In the future I might have such a feeling'... 'In the future I might have such a perception'... 'In the future I might have such a thought-fabrication'... 'In the future I might have such a consciousness.' This is called not placing expectations on the future.

• edited March 2010
    post-death rebirth is not wholly irrelevant though for a lot of practitioners it is, but there is still a lot of death that goes on (death death) around us, people and animals are constantly passing away, i don't think there's anything wrong with reading the bardo thodol to beings on their death beds, in fact it's a good thing to do
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Rebirth cannot happen without ignorance and clinging.

What are the four kinds of clinging?

They are:

kamaupadana: clinging to sense pleasure;

ditthaupadana: clinging to views and opinions;

silabbatupadana: clinging to conventions, to gurus,
    to meditation techniques, to an ethic, to specific
    religious forms; and

attavadupadana: clinging to the idea of self.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I used to believe in rebirth (and firmly) until I started reading the suttas seriously :) In fact, the core Buddhist teaching has nothing to do with rebirth. The belief in rebirth is best described by Ajhan Sumedho in this quote that DD already quoted

"But if you watch the way things operate independently of yourself, you begin to understand that rebirth is nothing more than desire seeking some object to absorb into, which will allow it to arise again."

Fact is, we don't like to deny rebirth because we are attached to "being"...
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited March 2010
    What I find funny is that apparently people can't simply say they don't know. That works for rebirth and a lot of other things :P

The truth is I don't even know what is the color of the car I will see parked on my street when I leave in 15 minutes. That shows you how far human perception goes.
    edited March 2010
    This Abbott wasn't talking down to anyone, he was sharing with candor, with old friends, in casual circumstances, many times. Many permutations of the subject have been discussed.

In the end, in this thread, Ren really gets to the point when he says

"When I'm paying attention, the idea of rebirth never occurs to me."

That shuts this down for me.

I dont question your understanding and practice for you DD.
    edited March 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    I used to believe in rebirth (and firmly) until I started reading the suttas seriously :) .

But the suttas are full of references to birth and death and the realms - how do you account for those?

P
    edited March 2010
    Acutally, the Buddha did not teach like this. The Buddha never taught consciousness comes from a preceding life.

Yes he did. Look at the teachings on dependent origination.

P
    edited March 2010
    Intersting discussion, folks. Here's an afterthought:

Classically, or at least for many people, the goal of Buddhism is liberation from the cycle of rebirth. "Nirvana", even if attained in this life, isn't seen as something that ends with the inevitable death of the one who attained it. The teaching on Karma says that Karma will always catch up with you, even if you shoot a sweet little child from your deathbed (meaning that there's no possibility of "paying" your karma in this life). Texts are filled with references to "realms", "precious human birth" and so on.

So without Rebirth (or at least some kind of continuation of *my* consciousness after death) an awful lot of classical Buddhist worldview simply falls apart. What we're left with isn't much more than a methodology for enhancing one's psychological well-being and a set of ethical guidelines, the latter mostly corresponding to those of any civilized society.

That's why I don't call myself a "Buddhist"-- I just think that "Buddhism" has an awful lot of good ideas about living one's life and of all religions is the least dogmatic.