Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

1,000 Muslims Killed in Stampede

edited September 2005 in Faith & Religion
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/krwashbureau/20050901/ts_krwashbureau/_usiraq_1

In all the news about Katrina, this story has basically fallen through the cracks. I saw it on CNN just once in all the time I've been watching (which has been nearly nonstop). Basically, a large group of Shiites were crossing a bridge in a religious procession when someone spread a rumor that there was a suicide bomber. A stampede ensued. Some were crushed to death, some jumped off the bridge to their deaths. On t.v., they said the dead were mostly women and children. I understand that everyone here is upset over Katrina because so many have loved ones in danger, but I think it is important that we don't ignore the plights of families elsewhere in their time of need.

Comments

• edited September 2005
    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/krwashbureau/20050901/ts_krwashbureau/_usiraq_1

In all the news about Katrina, this story has basically fallen through the cracks. I saw it on CNN just once in all the time I've been watching (which has been nearly nonstop). Basically, a large group of Shiites were crossing a bridge in a religious procession when someone spread a rumor that there was a suicide bomber. A stampede ensued. Some were crushed to death, some jumped off the bridge to their deaths. On t.v., they said the dead were mostly women and children. I understand that everyone here is upset over Katrina because so many have loved ones in danger, but I think it is important that we don't ignore the plights of families elsewhere in their time of need.

DK:

I agree. I did not know about this story. However, since my brother and his boys arrived, I haven't really had much time to read about this. I will chant and pray for these people in the story as well as anyone else that has been affected.

Adiana
  • edited September 2005
    DK - I had not heard about this either. Thank you for posting this. Those people are in my thoughts as well.

Kim
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    It is quite understandable that the US media should have found little time for the Iraqi tragedy.

My paper, the day after the deaths on the Tigris bridge, had a photo of the thousands of pairs of shoes left by the pilgrims before they went, barefoot and praying, to a terrible death. Alongside we could also see aerial photos of the aftermath of Katrina (will any young USian dare bear that name for a while: my sympathy to every Katrina and Catriona).

If we drained all the seas and oceans, we might notice that we all stand on a single piece of land!

There are no words.