Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Standing Meditation

edited March 2010 in Meditation
Hello all,
I have a question about meditation you mite be able to help me with. A long time ago I bought a book about qui gong and how to practice. The first step was to learn the standing position meditation, I did it over and over each day for about 7 or so weeks, with each day I was able to increase my meditation time so much so that by the 7th week I could be standing still for around an hour without moving. The book explained that while standing still and breathing deeply you should try to feel your inner organs working, not visualizing them but feeling them. This was hard but with persistence I was slowly getting some ware. The thing that caused me to stop practicing was that towards the seventh week when I was in, what I would call deep thought after the pins and needles had gone from my arms and I could no longer feel my outer body. I was getting strong pulses of energy and felt scared so I would open my eyes and come out of it. When doing this I was seeing stars, feeling dizzy and getting lots of static feeling all over. What I'd like to know is, is this a normal reaction to meditation or was I doing it wrong?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2010
    It's possible - although I can't say for sure - that your breathing had become too shallow for your standing position, and your extremities - and later, your whole system - was lacking sufficient oxygen.
    I'm a Qi Gong teacher, and I would advise people to work up to an hour's worth of the 'standing still' position over about a year. (That's Zam Zong - "Standing like a tree".)
    For precisely the reasons you give.
    You actually achieved the hour's worth a bit too quickly, in my opinion.....

Other teachers' opinions may differ, but in my experience, maybe you rushed stuff....