Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Seeing past lives

edited March 2010 in Meditation
Hello,

I was listening to a dharma talk in which the monk described being able to see the light of the mind, and be taken to a place where you can see a memory of a past life. I was wondering if anybody has ever had such an experience? If so, how long had you been meditating before you had such an experience?

Comments

• edited March 2010
    danny wrote: »
    Hello,

I was listening to a dharma talk in which the monk described being able to see the light of the mind, and be taken to a place where you can see a memory of a past life. I was wondering if anybody has ever had such an experience? If so, how long had you been meditating before you had such an experience?

Hi danny,

Can I ask who the monk was and which Buddhist tradition he belongs to, please?
    and be taken to a place where you can see a memory of a past life

How did he describe being ''taken to a place'' etc?

I'm sorry, this isn't very clear to me. It's not an experience I've had myself during meditation.

Kind regards,

Dazzle

• edited March 2010
    Hi Dazzle. Sorry, I didn't think to add that. It was Ajahn Brahmavamso, Theravada.

As he described it, you can be deep within to a point you can see past memories. When I say taken to a place it isn't as though you will be taken there like a bus to the next stop, but the memory will be revealed and you'll know it the same as any memory you'd currently relate to.
  • edited March 2010
    Hi Dazzle. Sorry, I didn't think to add that. It was Ajahn Brahmavamso, Theravada.

As he described it, you can be deep within to a point you can see past memories. When I say taken to a place it isn't as though you will be taken there like a bus to the next stop, but the memory will be revealed and you'll know it the same as any memory you'd currently relate to.

Thanks very much for the additional info. danny :)

• edited March 2010
    i've experienced deja vu outside of meditation before in relation to feeling past lives experiences, but my mind couldhave just been playing tricks on me... i was reading a certain author and the scene they were writing about hit me like a stomach ache to my memory in a flash of deja vu
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Whatever is seen, is merely a mental formation.

Sometimes our mind has bizarre dreams. Do we consider them "past lives" or just mental pictures.

:)
  • edited March 2010
    Whatever is seen, is merely a mental formation.

Sometimes our mind has bizarre dreams. Do we consider them "past lives" or just mental pictures.

Absolutely.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Are memories of our actual life any more or less than just passing thoughts? Are dreams pictures of our actual life? Are my discursive thoughts during meditation chatter or insight? Is there a digital cut off between chatter and insight?
  • edited March 2010
    If one is practicing awareness and mindfulness with the present moment, then thoughts and images are just passing thoughts and images.

• edited March 2010
    Someone said that whatever is seen is merely a mental formation, but such is opinion based on what you believe about rebirth. Rebirth is more prevalent as a literal concept in the Mahayana schools where the Bodhisattvas vow to continue being reborn in either the human plane or in the lower planes to help liberate others still stuck in Samsara.

Unless we have such an experience of seeing past lives for ourselves, we speak words out of ignorance or attachment/aversion to this concept and dismiss such an experience outright. I would encourage everyone to keep an open mind above all else, and not to be bogged down in the dogma of their school's teachings. It isn't helpful for the reader to be given an answer that is of a biased nature.

If whatever school we subscribe to teaches rebirth, let us not dismiss that rebirth may turn out to be untrue in the literal sense. If the school does not teach rebirth, let us keep an open mind to that as well. Above all else, we should examine our motivations for our belief in either case. Beliefs without our own realization to back them up are no better than blind faith in the existence of a creator "God", or whether the universe began or will end.

What the Buddha actually taught can be debated back and forth until our dying days to no consensus. We can only count on ourselves and our efforts to ferret out the truth through study of the Dhamma, direct experience of life, and insight meditation.

Bottom Line: Neither believe nor dis-believe, but acknowledge the concept and its possibility and remain open-minded. This is how we may also apply the "middle way" of avoiding extremes to an idea that is otherwise hotly debated only to result in the suffering of those entangled in the debate.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Hello,

I was listening to a dharma talk in which the monk described being able to see the light of the mind, and be taken to a place where you can see a memory of a past life.

The Buddha was able to recall past lives just before he was enlightened.

P
    edited March 2010
    Stephen wrote: »
    Unless we have such an experience of seeing past lives for ourselves, we speak words out of ignorance or attachment/aversion to this concept and dismiss such an experience outright. I would encourage everyone to keep an open mind above all else, and not to be bogged down in the dogma of their school's teachings. It isn't helpful for the reader to be given an answer that is of a biased nature.

Bottom Line: Neither believe nor dis-believe, but acknowledge the concept and its possibility and remain open-minded. This is how we may also apply the "middle way" of avoiding extremes to an idea that is otherwise hotly debated only to result in the suffering of those entangled in the debate.
    Quite a bold answer and quite presumptuous to think those discussing or debating the matter are entangled in suffering.

In fact, if one realises emptiness, there will be no suffering and the matter of 'rebirth' will not exist.

Open-minded does not entail entertaining beliefs that do not accord with emptiness.

If one never drops 'self' and 'continuity', enlightenment is difficult.

edited March 2010
    porpoise wrote: »
    The Buddha recalled each time in the past his mind attached to something as "I" and "mine".

In other words, on the night of his enlightenment, all of his mind's past conditioning unwound.

All of the old memories of "I", "me" and "mine" unwound.

All of the 'self belief' that existed in his subconsciousness from before he was enlightened unwound.

The Buddha said:
    At Savatthi. "Monks, any priests or contemplatives who recollect their manifold past lives all recollect the five clinging-aggregates, or one among them. Which five? When recollecting, 'I was one with such a form in the past,' one is recollecting just form. Or when recollecting, 'I was one with such a feeling in the past,' one is recollecting just feeling. Or when recollecting, 'I was one with such a perception in the past,' one is recollecting just perception. Or when recollecting, 'I was one with such mental fabrications in the past,' one is recollecting just mental fabrications. Or when recollecting, 'I was one with such a consciousness in the past,' one is recollecting just consciousness.

"Thus, monks, any form whatsoever that is past, future, or present; internal or external; blatant or subtle; common or sublime; far or near: every form is to be seen as it actually is with right discernment as: 'This is not mine. This is not my self. This is not what I am.'

"Any feeling whatsoever...
    "Any perception whatsoever...
    "Any fabrications whatsoever...

"Any consciousness whatsoever that is past, future, or present; internal or external; blatant or subtle; common or sublime; far or near: every consciousness is to be seen as it actually is with right discernment as: 'This is not mine. This is not my self. This is not what I am.'

"This, monks, is called a disciple of the noble ones who tears down and does not build up; who abandons and does not cling; who discards and does not pull in; who scatters and does not pile up.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.079.than.html

edited March 2010
    In other words, on the night of his enlightenment, all of his mind's past conditioning unwound.

You mean like this, from MN19? This clearly desribes the Buddha remembering his past lives.

"When the mind was thus concentrated, purified, bright, unblemished, rid of defilement, pliant, malleable, steady, & attained to imperturbability, I directed it to the knowledge of recollecting my past lives. I recollected my manifold past lives, i.e., one birth, two... five, ten... fifty, a hundred, a thousand, a hundred thousand, many eons of cosmic contraction, many eons of cosmic expansion, many eons of cosmic contraction & expansion: 'There I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure & pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose there. There too I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure & pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose here.' Thus I remembered my manifold past lives in their modes & details."
    edited March 2010
    In fact, if one realises emptiness, there will be no suffering and the matter of 'rebirth' will not exist.

The matter of rebirth clearly does exist for many Buddhists. So I guess none of have realised emptiness.:p

P
  • edited March 2010
    Quite a bold answer and quite presumptuous to think those discussing or debating the matter are entangled in suffering.
    Quite a trick of the mind for anyone to think otherwise. Holding an active belief in that which is only conceptually understood is wrong view. Likewise, holding an active disbelief is wrong view. In both of these cases you are attached to a view that can not be either supported or disproved, exactly as in the case of speculation as to the existence of a God.

The only way to enlightenment is to give up such mental attachments/aversions, thus freeing your mind from clinging and allowing you to move forward in your understanding. Anyone who can find the wisdom within to "wait and see", or to admit "I don't know", is much further along the path and is actively removing hindrances to awakening.

Those who can not find this simple yet profound wisdom remain in a state of dukkha, defending their belief rather than knowing the truth through realization for themselves. The teachings can not prove to anyone whether rebirth occurs or not (or even whether the Buddha taught the concept or not), and so this type of speculation is unskillful.

When your mind is ready to let go, I'll be cheering you on, knowing that you're closer to waking up and not confusing the words of the Pali Canon with true reality. The words can only show us the path to self-realization; they are not the absolute truth or proof in and of themselves.

I have a case of second-hand dukkha in that although I am not entangled in clinging over rebirth I must now try and point out the error of wrong views in this regard, hopefully so that you can attain stream-entry and will see things from a more clear perspective. I will gladly continue to do so, but it is to your disadvantage to not have a pliant and malleable mind that takes my words into due consideration instead of dismissing them. They are logical, reasonable and in accord with the spirit of the Buddhist teachings.

I wish you well, but it is up to you to free yourself. I can only help point the way.
    edited March 2010
    The matter of rebirth clearly does exist for many Buddhists. So I guess none of have realised emptiness.:p
    How can something that is merely an unverified imaged belief "clearly exist"?

Indeed. None of them have realised emptiness.

I already quoted the Khajjaniya Sutta, where it was said in accordance to the Dhamma: 'This is not mine. This is not my self. This is not what I am.'

But instead, you wish to interpret a text in a way the promotes 'self-view'.

edited March 2010
    You mean like this, from MN19? This clearly desribes the Buddha remembering his past lives.

"When the mind was thus concentrated, purified, bright, unblemished, rid of defilement, pliant, malleable, steady, & attained to imperturbability, I directed it to the knowledge of recollecting my past lives.
    Actually, the Pali term is pubbenivasa (previous dwellings).
    Nivāsa [fr. nivasati2] stopping, dwelling, resting-- place, abode; living, sheltering

Nevāsika (adj.) [fr. nivāsa, cp. BSk. naivāsika AvS i.286, 287] one who inhabits, an inmate; living in a place, local

pubbe in earlier times (also referring to previous births, cp. pure), in the past,

edited March 2010
    ...many eons of cosmic contraction, many eons of cosmic expansion, many eons of cosmic contraction & expansion:
    Hi Porpoise

The Pali here is anekepi saṃvaṭṭakappe anekepi vivaṭṭakappe anekepi saṃvaṭṭavivaṭṭakappe.

The Pali dictionary provides one translation of kappa, meaning</B> 'duration of life'.

In the Pali above, the word 'loka', which Thanissaro translates as 'cosmos' and Bodhi translates as 'world' is not found anywhere.

Instead we can see the term vatta, which means 'cycle'. It seems to refer to cycles of 'life durations', meaning, cycles of becoming, cycles of thinking "I am this", "I am that", etc.

This term kappa, can be found in the Maha-parinibbana Sutta.
    ‘yassa kassaci, ānanda, cattāro iddhipādā bhāvitā bahulīkatā yānīkatā vatthukatā anuṭṭhitā paricitā susamāraddhā, so ākaṅkhamāno kappaṃ vā tiṭṭheyya kappāvasesaṃ vā. Tathāgatassa kho, ānanda, cattāro iddhipādā bhāvitā bahulīkatā yānīkatā vatthukatā anuṭṭhitā paricitā susamāraddhā. So ākaṅkhamāno, ānanda, tathāgato kappaṃ vā tiṭṭheyya kappāvasesaṃ vā’’’ti.

3. And the Blessed One said: "Whosoever, Ananda, has developed, practiced, employed, strengthened, maintained, scrutinized, and brought to perfection the four constituents of psychic power could, if he so desired, remain throughout a world-period or until the end of it*. The Tathagata, Ananda, has done so. Therefore the Tathagata could, if he so desired, remain throughout a world-period or until the end of it."

* Kappam va tittheyya kappavasesam va. Comy. takes kappa not as "world-period" or "aeon," but as ayu-kappa, "life span," and explains avasesa (usually "remainder") by "in excess."

Comy.: "He may stay alive completing the life span pertaining to men at the given time. (Sub. Comy.: the maximum life span.) Kappavasesa: 'in excess' (atireka), i.e., more or less above the hundred years said to be the normally highest life expectation."

Among the numerous meanings of the word kappa, there is, in fact, that of time in general (kala) and not only the duration of an aeon; but the meaning "life span" seems to have been ascribed to it only in this passage. Also, the meaning "in excess" for avasesa (usually "remainder") is unusual.
    The four constituents of psychic power (iddhipada) are concentration due to zeal, energy, purity of mind, and investigation.
    In brief, this passage gives the impression the translations are dodgy dodgy. How could the Buddha keep himself alive for a 'world period'?

But then any translator like Bhikkhu Bodhi or Thanissaro who regard Dependent Origination as occuring over three lifetimes would give the impression they are a little confused, wouldn't they?

edited March 2010
    I can only help point the way.
    You cannot even help yourself.

You suppress your mind or something else, have a mental cartharsis where you cannot sleep for the night and believe "you" ("I") have attained jhana.

A mind that has not realised emptiness cannot understand the Buddha's teachings.

It follows it is wise for one who has not realised emptiness to simply offer their opinions in a discussion rather than thinking they are a 'teacher' and can help others.
    Unless we have such an experience of seeing past lives for ourselves, we speak words out of ignorance or attachment/aversion to this concept and dismiss such an experience outright.
    edited March 2010
    Holding an active belief in that which is only conceptually understood is wrong view.
    The Buddha did not teach 'non-conceptuality'.

What you have stated Stephen is wrong view.

About right view, the Buddha taught as follows:
    "Here, Ananda, a monk understands: 'It is impossible, it cannot happen that a person possessing right view could treat any formation as permanent - there is no such possibility.' And he understands: 'It is possible that an ordinary person might treat some formation as permanent - there is such a possibility.'

He understands: 'It is impossible, it cannot happen that a person possessing right view could treat any formation as bringing happiness [such a jhana] - there is no such possibility.' And he understands: 'It is possible that an ordinary person might treat some formation as bringing happiness - there is such a possibility.'

He understands: 'It is impossible, it cannot happen that a person possessing right view could treat anything as self - there is no such possibility.' And he understands: 'It is possible that an ordinary person might treat something as self - there is such a possibility.'

MN 115

Of rebirth view, the Buddha said:
    ...[it] is the right view that has effluents (asava), sides with merit & results in acquisitions...

MN 117

edited March 2010
    In both of these cases you are attached to a view that can not be either supported or disproved, exactly as in the case of speculation as to the existence of a God.
    When the mind has realised emptiness and has realised all things are mind created, is it logical to then believe in another mind creation that entertains the possibility of there being a "God"?

:confused:
    edited March 2010
    The only way to enlightenment is to give up such mental attachments/aversions, thus freeing your mind from clinging and allowing you to move forward in your understanding.
    And what kind of "understanding" is actually being referred to here?

:confused:
    edited March 2010
    Anyone who can find the wisdom within to "wait and see", or to admit "I don't know", is much further along the path and is actively removing hindrances to awakening.
    Wait and see for what?

The only thing to be seen is what the Buddha has advised, as follows:
    "Thus, monks, any form whatsoever that is past, future, or present; internal or external; blatant or subtle; common or sublime; far or near: every form is to be seen as it actually is with right discernment as: 'This is not mine. This is not my self. This is not what I am.'

"Any feeling whatsoever...
    "Any perception whatsoever...
    "Any fabrications whatsoever...

"Any consciousness whatsoever that is past, future, or present; internal or external; blatant or subtle; common or sublime; far or near: every consciousness is to be seen as it actually is with right discernment as: 'This is not mine. This is not my self. This is not what I am.'

• edited March 2010

I can only help point the way.

Some of us actually don't need you to help point the way, Stephen.

....but thanks very much for trying. :)

edited March 2010
    Those who can not find this simple yet profound wisdom remain in a state of dukkha, defending their belief rather than knowing the truth through realization for themselves. The teachings can not prove to anyone whether rebirth occurs or not (or even whether the Buddha taught the concept or not), and so this type of speculation is unskillful.
    Stephen

You appear to be stating the realisation of emptiness is unwise, dukkha & unskilful.

You appear to be stating rebirth belief is a "realisation".

Of realisation, the Buddha said:
    "'Cessation of suffering, as a noble truth, is this.'

'This cessation of suffering, as a noble truth, can be verified.'

'This cessation of suffering, as a noble truth, has been verified.'

Setting Rolling the Wheel of Truth

edited March 2010
    I have a case of second-hand dukkha in that although I am not entangled in clinging over rebirth I must now try and point out the error of wrong views in this regard...
    Stephen

You sound very confused to me. "Second-hand dukkha"? Ha? :confused:

How can pointing out an error result in dukkha? :confused:

It is like saying saving a child drowning in water or from a house fire is dukkha.

hopefully so that you can attain stream-entry and will see things from a more clear perspective.
    So as well as being a jhana master who cannot sleep at night, now are you declaring stream entry? ;)
    I will gladly continue to do so, but it is to your disadvantage to not have a pliant and malleable mind that takes my words into due consideration instead of dismissing them.
    Indeed. I dismiss your words completely.
    They are logical, reasonable and in accord with the spirit of the Buddhist teachings.
    To me, your words are illogical, unreasonable and not in accord with the spirit of the Buddha's teachings.

I trust your open mindedness can accept that.

• jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I've got enough regrets about this life, why would I want to remember another one?
  • edited March 2010
    Dhatu, if you think that personal attacks against me because you think you know better are the Buddhist way, we have nothing to discuss. While I continue on down the path, you may well remain stuck where you are. I wish it were otherwise, but many who put forth effort into belief rather than wisdom end right where they begin.

Consider this my last reply to you, because I will not take on the insurmountable task of convincing a wall of anything. :) Release yourself from your obsession is the last advice I can give you until you are able to do so.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited March 2010

P

The Buddha also realised that this could not lead to escape from the conditioned realm. Past lives recollections and supranormal powers or siddhis belong to deep jhana/meditative absorption states. Without insights no liberation is possible.
    [4] "He can attain at will, without trouble or difficulty, the four jhanas — heightened mental states providing a pleasant abiding in the here & now.

[5] "He wields manifold supranormal powers. Having been one he becomes many; having been many he becomes one. He appears. He vanishes. He goes unimpeded through walls, ramparts, & mountains as if through space. He dives in & out of the earth as if it were water. He walks on water without sinking as if it were dry land. Sitting crosslegged he flies through the air like a winged bird. With his hand he touches & strokes even the sun & moon, so mighty & powerful. He exercises influence with his body even as far as the Brahma worlds.

[6] "He hears — by means of the divine ear-element, purified & surpassing the human — both kinds of sounds: divine & human, whether near or far.

8] "He recollects his manifold past lives (lit: previous homes), i.e., one birth, two births, three births, four, five, ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, one hundred, one thousand, one hundred thousand, many aeons of cosmic contraction, many aeons of cosmic expansion, many aeons of cosmic contraction & expansion, [recollecting], 'There I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure & pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose there. There too I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure & pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose here.' Thus he remembers his manifold past lives in their modes & details.

"He sees — by means of the divine eye, purified & surpassing the human — beings passing away & re-appearing, and he discerns how they are inferior & superior, beautiful & ugly, fortunate & unfortunate in accordance with their kamma: 'These beings — who were endowed with bad conduct of body, speech, & mind, who reviled the noble ones, held wrong views and undertook actions under the influence of wrong views — with the break-up of the body, after death, have re-appeared in the plane of deprivation, the bad destination, the lower realms, in hell. But these beings — who were endowed with good conduct of body, speech, & mind, who did not revile the noble ones, who held right views and undertook actions under the influence of right views — with the break-up of the body, after death, have re-appeared in the good destinations, in the heavenly world.' Thus — by means of the divine eye, purified & surpassing the human — he sees beings passing away & re-appearing, and he discerns how they are inferior & superior, beautiful & ugly, fortunate & unfortunate in accordance with their kamma.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.119.than.html
    edited March 2010
    pegembara wrote: »
    Past lives recollections and supranormal powers or siddhis belong to deep jhana/meditative absorption states.
    Pegembara

Are you sure?

The Venerable Sariputta was a master of jhana but had no supernormal powers.

Also, whilst most Buddhists commonly declare the Buddha used supernormal power to recollect the "past dwellings", the suttas appear to not say this.

The suttas appear to only say the Buddha used supernormal power (divine eye) to know the karma of others (which is perfectly reasonable, according to reality).
    "When the mind was thus concentrated, purified, bright, unblemished, rid of defilement, pliant, malleable, steady, & attained to imperturbability, I directed it to the knowledge of recollecting my past lives. I recollected my manifold past lives, i.e., one birth, two... five, ten... fifty, a hundred, a thousand, a hundred thousand.....

"When the mind was thus concentrated, purified, bright, unblemished, rid of defilement, pliant, malleable, steady & attained to imperturbability, I directed it to the knowledge of the passing away & reappearance of beings. I saw — by means of the divine eye, purified & surpassing the human — beings passing away & re-appearing, and I discerned how they are inferior & superior, beautiful & ugly, fortunate & unfortunate in accordance with their kamma:

MN 4
    edited March 2010
    Consider this my last reply to you...
    Stephen

For me, everyday, whatever I do, it is business as usual.

What is flowing before my eyes are merely dhatus or elements.

Nothing worth grasping at.

The Buddha said:
    Gain/loss,
    status/disgrace,
    censure/praise,
    pleasure/pain:
    these conditions among human beings
    are inconstant, impermanent, subject to change.
    Knowing this,
    the wise person, mindful,
    ponders these changing conditions.

Desirable things don't charm the mind,
    undesirable ones bring no resistance.
    His welcoming & rebelling are scattered,
    gone to their end, do not exist.

Knowing the dustless,
    sorrowless state,
    he discerns rightly, has gone,
    beyond becoming,
    to the Further Shore.

Lokavipatti Sutta: The Failings of the World

edited March 2010
    ...a wall...

w221ab.gif
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Unless we have such an experience of seeing past lives for ourselves, we speak words out of ignorance or attachment/aversion to this concept and dismiss such an experience outright.
    An argument from authority. "Only someone who has had an experience which validates this proposition is qualified to evaluate its validity."
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Pegembara

Are you sure?

The Venerable Sariputta was a master of jhana but had no supernormal powers.

Hi DD,
    Once Sariputta said to his friend that, compared with Moggallana's great supernormal powers he was like a small splinter of rock set against the mighty Himalayas. Moggallana, however, replied that, compared with Sariputta's power of wisdom, he was like a tiny grain of salt set against a big salt barrel. (S. 21,3).

I thought Sariputta was the foremost in wisdom and Maha Mogallana was the foremost in supernormal powers. Wisdom does not come from jhana does it?

"And furthermore, with the abandoning of pleasure & pain — as with the earlier disappearance of elation & distress — he enters & remains in the fourth jhana: purity of equanimity & mindfulness, neither-pleasure-nor-pain. He sits, permeating the body with a pure, bright awareness. Just as if a man were sitting covered from head to foot with a white cloth so that there would be no part of his body to which the white cloth did not extend; even so, the monk sits, permeating the body with a pure, bright awareness. There is nothing of his entire body unpervaded by pure, bright awareness. And as he remains thus heedful, ardent, & resolute, any memories & resolves related to the household life are abandoned, and with their abandoning his mind gathers & settles inwardly, grows unified & centered. This is how a monk develops mindfulness immersed in the body.

(Ten Benefits)
    "Monks, for one in whom mindfulness immersed in the body is cultivated, developed, pursued, handed the reins and taken as a basis, given a grounding, steadied, consolidated, & well-undertaken, ten benefits can be expected. Which ten?

[8] "He recollects his manifold past lives (lit: previous homes), i.e., one birth, two births, three births, four, five, ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, one hundred, one thousand, one hundred thousand, many aeons of cosmic contraction, many aeons of cosmic expansion, many aeons of cosmic contraction & expansion, [recollecting],

[9] "He sees — by means of the divine eye, purified & surpassing the human — beings passing away & re-appearing, and he discerns how they are inferior & superior, beautiful & ugly, fortunate & unfortunate in accordance with their kamma:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.119.than.html

I understand this to mean the benefits of attaining jhanic states.

Perhaps you can clarify.
    edited March 2010
    pegembara wrote: »
    I thought Sariputta was the foremost in wisdom and Maha Mogallana was the foremost in supernormal powers. Wisdom does not come from jhana does it?
    Sariputta was the foremost in wisdom. But this does not mean he did not attain jhana. Jhana is the fruit of letting go so clearly Sariputta's mind passed through the jhanas.

His wisdom is found in comprehending the nature of the jhanas lucidly (rather than getting stuck in them or beguiled by them).

The Anupada Sutta reports Sariputta's jhana experience.

• DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited March 2010

In brief, this passage gives the impression the translations are dodgy dodgy. How could the Buddha keep himself alive for a 'world period'?

But then any translator like Bhikkhu Bodhi or Thanissaro who regard Dependent Origination as occuring over three lifetimes would give the impression they are a little confused, wouldn't they?

Thanks a lot for making things clear DD. In fact these dodgy pali translations have done a huge damage to the Dhamma... sometimes I wonder if the damage can ever be undone now. There are so many misinterpretations of the pali suttas upto the point that people even believe ridiculous notions such as a Buddha can live a million years if he wanted to etc ...:(
  • edited March 2010
    This is a subject i've thought through many times .
    Many times i've felt intense memories towards Native Indians and am convinced i lived amongst them at one time , even down to THE Native indian music , when i hear it it's as if i know each beat and have never heard any before .
    Day-ja-vu .
    Same as places and peoples eyes who i've never seen before but know the eyes .
    It doesn't make sense .