Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How to demonstrate the existence of Karma

NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
edited April 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Being a buddhist now, I have to answer questions about karma, rebirth, Buddha and so on. One day , I battled an atheist and I lost because I don't know how to demonstarte the existence of karma. Now, I know( say like feel it) that karma is omnipresent and omnipotent and such.
But how can I demonstrate it's existence ? Any ideas ?

Comments

• edited March 2010
    How is Karma omnipresent and omnipresent? Is it possible for something to be both these things at once?
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    edited March 2010
    tony67 wrote: »
    How is Karma omnipresent and omnipresent? Is it possible for something to be both these things at once?

Yeah. Reminds od something I've seen in a movie: a guy and his clairvoyant girlfriend were sitting on a bench. A poor man passes in front of them, and the woman said "He will die in a car accident.". The guy asked her why didn't she want to warn the poor man, and she said "If I tell him that, then after an hour, he will go by a building site, and a heavy load will fall on him". The guy " But, if you warn him again?";the woman "Then he would die , drowned in his own bathroom. You, know, death always finds a way to hit it's target".
    So, if make the link between karma and death, hen you'll get ha karma, as death, is omnipotent and omnipresent.
    But still, how do I demonstrate the existence of karma ?
  • edited March 2010
    Still not sure what you mean omnipotent implies karma is something of itself?

How to demonstrate karma, seriously punch your friend, then reap the fruits of your karma
    edited March 2010
    That would be the easiest way , I know ! :D. But I need to explain it with logical arguments.
  • shadowleavershadowleaver Veteran
    edited March 2010
    To me Karma isn't much more than the old adage "what goes around comes around". That is, if I treat the world and people in it positively in my thoughts and actions, good things tend to come my way. If, on the other hand, I am full of negativity, things tend to turn out unpleasantly for me. And even so, I really doubt that for every "good" action I'm going to get some particular reward and for every "bad" action I'll be punished. I just think that most of the time I end up reaping what I sow.

I don't believe in Karma as some independent principle that is omnipresent, omnipotent etc. I think it's just commonsense-- you're good to people, they'll naturally like you and be good to you. If you're being a jerk, people won't like you and not give you much sympathy. If your outlook on things is positive, your mind is healthier and you see more opportunities. If you're gloomy most of the time, you've mentally conditioned yourself for defeat and misery.

Now if I'm an old man on my deathbed with a gun and shoot someone a few minutes before dying, I probably won't "reap" anything ever. For me to be able to reap there would need to be personal post-mortem existence which I very much doubt exists.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Now, I know( say like feel it) that karma is omnipresent and omnipotent and such.
    You appear to be projecting father-God qualities onto your concept of karma. The central problem seems to be that you don't know what you're talking about.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited March 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    You appear to be projecting father-God qualities onto your concept of karma. The central problem seems to be that you don't know what you're talking about.
    ouch :lol:
  • skydancerskydancer Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I'd like to offer a local story that describes an incident of karma. A man in our community lost his leg after being viciously attacked by a pack of neighbor dogs for over thirty minutes. He sustained bites on every part of his body.

The initial story is horrific. How could one human being suffer so much? My heart goes out to him.

The next story in the paper is this very same man who was attacked by his neighbors dog had neglected and abused his own dogs. Several dogs starved to death, one dog was tied to a post with a chain that was so short it couldn't reach food or water. The puppies were traumatized. The dead dogs stomach contents only contained pine needles.

Considering the harm this man caused, with his ignorance and cruelty it's amazing that he didn't die of his injuries and he has the opportunity to mend his ways. How human this man an how mixed his karma.

This is a true story.
    edited March 2010
    Such coincidences do not necessarily have anything to do with karma.
  • skydancerskydancer Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Such coincidences do not necessarily have anything to do with karma.

You may be right. Nonetheless if all it is is coincidence it sure is ugly.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Karma isn't a force. It is just saying that there are relationships between things. There is a relationship between being a violent dick and having bad emotional experience for example.

To prove to him say that the sun rises in the east. That is an example of karma. It is just a relationship.

If tomorrow the sun rises in the west that is still karma because it is still a relationship!

Now only a buddha knows the reasons for all the relationships...
    You may not be able to prove a buddha exists..
    At least I do not know how to prove it other than a buddha is defined by a relationship to suffering among other things and ability to transform it.
    edited March 2010
    sky dancer wrote: »
    I'd like to offer a local story that describes an incident of karma. A man in our community lost his leg after being viciously attacked by a pack of neighbor dogs for over thirty minutes. He sustained bites on every part of his body.

The initial story is horrific. How could one human being suffer so much? My heart goes out to him.

The next story in the paper is this very same man who was attacked by his neighbors dog had neglected and abused his own dogs. Several dogs starved to death, one dog was tied to a post with a chain that was so short it couldn't reach food or water. The puppies were traumatized. The dead dogs stomach contents only contained pine needles.

Considering the harm this man caused, with his ignorance and cruelty it's amazing that he didn't die of his injuries and he has the opportunity to mend his ways. How human this man an how mixed his karma.

This is a true story.

:eek:...too much suffering on both sides...
    edited March 2010

Karma..isn't that cause-effect chain ?? Now that's what I've learned so far...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2010
    NomadBuddha, Kamma isn't a judgemental, evaluation or critique of what happens. It's merely a process. That's all....
    It does not evaluate what you do, provide retribution or bring the good to lofty heights...
    It just 'is'.

The whole process commences with what you think.
    If you watch the thinking, and it's positivity or negativity, then you can either perpetuate or forestall the word/action that follows.
    Mind precedes all states.

"If you wish to know what you once were and how you got here, look at your body, now. If you wish to know what you will be and how you'll get there, look at your mind, now."

Hope that helps.
    edited March 2010
    federica wrote: »
    NomadBuddha, Kamma isn't a judgemental, evaluation or critique of what happens. It's merely a process. That's all....
    It does not evaluate what you do, provide retribution or bring the good to lofty heights...
    It just 'is'.

The whole process commences with what you think.
    If you watch the thinking, and it's positivity or negativity, then you can either perpetuate or forestall the word/action that follows.
    Mind precedes all states.

"If you wish to know what you once were and how you got here, look at your body, now. If you wish to know what you will be and how you'll get there, look at your mind, now."

Hope that helps.

Now I realised that I know nothing :(
    edited March 2010
    Karma..isn't that cause-effect chain ?? Now that's what I've learned so far...
    I recommend this essay and the two follow-on essays. They should clarify what karma actually is and isn't.
    edited March 2010
    So karma is just about progress and evolution :confused:?? And this evolution depends on our actions...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2010
    ..evolution....?
    Clarify what you mean about evolution....? :)
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited March 2010

Get drunk some Saturday night and yell at a police officer, "You can't touch me, Pig!!"
    edited March 2010
    So karma is just about progress and evolution :confused:?? And this evolution depends on our actions...
    You sound disappointed or confused. Can you say more about why?
  • edited March 2010
    If you mean to represent kamma/karma, merely do so as it is self-evident. Words and actions that are wholesome and for the benefit of others have good effects, effects which radiate outward toward others and also forward into the future. Words and actions that are unwholesome do just the opposite.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Being a buddhist now, I have to answer questions about karma, rebirth, Buddha and so on. One day , I battled an atheist and I lost because I don't know how to demonstarte the existence of karma. Now, I know( say like feel it) that karma is omnipresent and omnipotent and such.

Karma is an unconjecturable, so don't expect to be able to convincingly show how it works.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.077.than.html
    edited March 2010
    pegembara wrote: »
    Karma is an unconjecturable, so don't expect to be able to convincingly show how it works.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.077.than.html

So this bhikku says that is better to leave the concept of karma as it is, rather than trying to explain it ?
    edited March 2010
    jinzang wrote: »
    Get drunk some Saturday night and yell at a police officer, "You can't touch me, Pig!!"

Maybe I won't get touched if I get drunk on a Saturday night and yell at the police !:D Who knows, in my country, police would ignore me being in that drunken state.
    edited March 2010
    You sound disappointed or confused. Can you say more about why?

It's both. Well, I've been taught that karma is a cause-effect chain(you do good, you receive good; you do bad, you receive bad), but some thing in my life demonstrated me the contrary, and so, I started to search about karma, but never really understood this concept. The conclusion was that karma was something that was beyond that simple cause-effect chain.
  • edited March 2010
    well that sutra says "The [precise working out of the] results of kamma", i think this may mean you cannot pinpoint exactly, meticulously what result each action [karma] has, you would have to god or some other superbeing to do this... buddhas are able to observe karma very shrewdly (for in a sense this is what makes them buddhas) but they are not omniscient...
    It's both. Well, I've been taught that karma is a cause-effect chain(you do good, you receive good; you do bad, you receive bad), but some thing in my life demonstrated me the contrary, and so, I started to search about karma, but never really understood this concept. The conclusion was that karma was something that was beyond that simple cause-effect chain.
    we live above a vast store of karma,so even if you purify your actions in accord with the way there can still be latent negative karma that is ripening
    edited March 2010
    well that sutra says "The [precise working out of the] results of kamma", i think this may mean you cannot pinpoint exactly, meticulously what result each action [karma] has, you would have to god or some other superbeing to do this... buddhas are able to observe karma very shrewdly (for in a sense this is what makes them buddhas) but they are not omniscient...

Aaah, yeah, so no one can see the exact results. So, yeah, better to leave the karma be just karma !
    I understand now.
    edited March 2010

Karma is a cause-effect chain, but good and bad don't really enter into it. It is not a force for cosmic jurisprudence. As Ken says in those essays, actions and intentions set up and reinforce patterns of perception, thought, reactivity and behavior. Those patterns are karma. That's all there is to it.
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I believe karma is metaphorical. It's not literal, there's no such thing if you like. Yet, it exists, yet doesn't. I think it's symbolic as in if you do bad things... well I'll give an example. If you are a good wholesome person and are such to everybody, you'll have friends. If people still don't like you because you're different you can still be happy in yourself and there'll be somebody who understands you. Now a person of a dodgy disposition might put people how being friends with them. This person might be lonely. A criminal would get imprissoned if caught, they're always hiding, always on the run. If you've done bad things people might judge you, you could be suffering inside yourself. It isn't actually a thing is karma, but rather a symbol, as I've said, as I believe :)

Love & Peace
    Jellybean
    edited March 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    If people still don't like you because you're different you can still be happy in yourself and there'll be somebody who understands you.
    Love & Peace
    Jellybean

Yeah, I am happy with myself as I am right now, but still no one understands me. And because I'm hard to be understood, this thing generates bad conflicts, which I try to avoid, but whatever I do, I fail.
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah, I am happy with myself as I am right now, but still no one understands me. And because I'm hard to be understood, this thing generates bad conflicts, which I try to avoid, but whatever I do, I fail.

To a certain extent, If you think like this, it's the way you will see the world.
    edited March 2010
    Maybe it's not the right time to be understood by others, who knows ? Maybe I'll just have to wait until someone who has the same (speaking about mind) attributes as mine will appear.
    Again... Who knows ?
    edited March 2010
    Nobody understands me, but I have 11 wonderful friends and a wonderful girlfriend and about 7 wonderful aquintances, and many wonderful E-Friends :D

Love & Peace
    Jellybean
    edited March 2010
    Nobody understands me, but I have 11 wonderful friends and a wonderful girlfriend and about 7 wonderful aquintances, and many wonderful E-Friends :D

Love & Peace
    Jellybean

I have nothing like that.
    edited March 2010
    You must have some friends... ?
    edited March 2010
    You must have some friends... ?

Have some, but I can't rely on them when I need something. They rely on me most of their time.
    edited March 2010
    Sometimes I have dodgy times with my friends when I feel the relationship is unequal. But you seem a nice person :)
    edited March 2010
    Sometimes I have dodgy times with my friends when I feel the relationship is unequal. But you seem a nice person :)

Maybe I am a nice person :D.
  • edited March 2010
    Karma is like gravity or time you can easily see it's effects but to prove it's existence thought philosophical thought or mathematics is at present difficult.

Like time and gravity it is not something metaphysical it is very real. But sometimes when you are a subroutine it's hard to see the properties of the programme.
    edited March 2010
    tony67 wrote: »
    Karma is like gravity or time you can easily see it's effects but to prove it's existence thought philosophical thought or mathematics is at present difficult.

Like time and gravity it is not something metaphysical it is very real. But sometimes when you are a subroutine it's hard to see the properties of the programme.

Got that.
    edited March 2010
    I'm sure you are a nice person. I mean I'm rude, can be mean, hypocritical, I'd happily cut of my nose to spite my face... It must be my sence of humour, compassion, sweetness - and modesty - that makes me so popular :p
    edited March 2010
    OK, humour, but I'm not popular... :D
    edited March 2010
    I'm sure you are a nice person. I mean I'm rude, can be mean, hypocritical, I'd happily cut of my nose to spite my face... It must be my sence of humour, compassion, sweetness - and modesty - that makes me so popular :p

Things are different in the West of Europe. Here in the East...it's another story.
    edited March 2010
    Neither am I. Popularity is not with me. It's just parallel with me. No intersection point between us :lol::lol::lol::D
    edited March 2010
    LOL
    edited March 2010
    It can be LOL, or anti-LOL, but even if I were popular, I would find that this popularity doesn't put a bread on my table.

Well (sorry for the offtopic) I prefer to take advatage of something rather than just let it be. Don't get me wrong, with this advantage I can give a share to my friends ( Ha! Found some friends lately, but no girlfriends :D)
  • edited March 2010
    Nomad, man. Give this a try. I had the same thoughts as you.

Question your view that no one understands you. And that your hard to be understood. It may just be a view you've seen to be true at one point. But as we know. All is imperminent. So hold to such view's is unwise.

Also, if you think, "people dont understand me" your more likely to see things that confirm that thought and as such you behaviour will be effected. So you will act like somebody who isn't understood.

So really try to go give up that thought for a bit. See what happens. Maybe nothing will happen, but if you really give up that thought, you'll prolly be happier.
    edited March 2010
    Well, my friends(my inner circle) now seem to like me even if I'm an alien. I'm used to that, so for me isn't something new, or something that makes me unhappy.

I've passed that kind of suffering, of not being understood, but now, I'm a lot happier with who I am rather than who I must pretend to be.
  • edited March 2010
    Ah ok, thought it was a problem :)

Bah off topic as usual.
    edited March 2010
    I have problems in general, but they are minor.:D The major ones...Do I have them? Maybe I can't find my major flaws...maybe I'm spiritually blind..