Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

losing interest..experiences

newtechnewtech Veteran
edited March 2010 in Meditation
Hello:

i have been meditating around 2 months, 7/7, every day 50 minutes (its great).

the thing is that after reaching "the pick" of my experience i kinda lose interest...then i stop.

i understand the logic: losing interest its a symptom of "i want", "not experience the expected", "looking something instead of just being" and "part of the experience"...
but i still want to try to refine my method, and try to correct that thinking that also affects other areas of my life...

to those who experience something similar how did you overcome it?
any routine? experience? tip?

Thank you very much!

Comments

• FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited March 2010
    newtech wrote: »
    Hello:

i have been meditating around 2 months, 7/7, every day 50 minutes (its great).

the thing is that after reaching "the pick" of my experience i kinda lose interest...then i stop.

i understand the logic: losing interest its a symptom of "i want", "not experience the expected", "looking something instead of just being" and "part of the experience"...
    but i still want to try to refine my method, and try to correct that thinking that also affects other areas of my life...

to those who experience something similar how did you overcome it?
    any routine? experience? tip?

Thank you very much!

What type of meditation are you doing and what do you think the goal of meditation is?
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited March 2010
    It's generally easier to work with the "stick" than the "carrot." Instead of chasing after a "peak" experience, try brinigng awareness of some annoying/damaging pattern of unconscious thought and/or behavior into meditation practice. If the "peak" experiences are reliable, they would be a good precursor to this practice.

Also, talk to a teacher about this face-to-face. It sounds like progress will be fast, in which case guidance will be pretty much essential.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Yes, fivebells is absolutely right. This is the point at which you really need the guidance of a qualified teacher.
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Thank you all.
    Seems have to start looking a teacher...
  • edited March 2010
    What I do (probably out of habit) now when I'm not so keen/dont have as much motivation to practice is meditate when I'm waiting for something. Standing waiting for a kettle to boil, waiting ten mins for a train, sitting on a train waiting for it to get somewhere. There isn't anything else I can be doing that "might" be benifitical, so I think "what the hell, lets meditate" or do metta.

Not sure it help's at all, and it doesnt seem as good as formal practice but at least it keep the intention/habit alive.