Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What are Chakaras?

edited September 2005 in Buddhism Basics
I have seen books about them and just wanted to know what they are. Can anyone tell me?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    I believe I'm right in saying that Chackras originate from the Ayurvedic medical system from india from where Yoga also originates....Charkras are vortices of energy located at specific points threoughout the body.... there are some around the joints, but the Main Chakras most people are refering to, are the seven chakras located at specific levels, accessible via the front or the rear of the body, following the central vertical line....
    There is the base Chakra, more or less at the perineum, the second is between the pubic bone and the belly button; the third is at the solar plexus; fourth, heart; fifth throat, sixth centre of forehead, and seventh, (discursively) about an inch above the head.
    Therse are all respectively, connected to specific organs according to where they are located, but also to specific emotions, colours (7 colours of the rainbow, usually)and types of energy. There are different schools of thought that say that these chakras spin in alternate directions, and that they also spin in alternate directions for men and women.... the "trick" is to make them all spin perfectly, balanced and in harmony (achieved through Right Living - health, meditation, behaviour, etc....) when they will all turn white...this will release the Serpent from your base to your head, the Kundalini, which denotes Spiritual and physical perfection.... I have a small statue of the Buddha, seated on a coiled serpent, the seven heads spread out behind him, like a peacock's tail.... each head represents a chakra, and he has achieved the perfect alignment and harmony for the Kundalini to manifest....

THis is just my understanding of it. Very brief, and just a summary. Others may know more, and know better.... :)