Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation assistance

edited April 2010 in Meditation
Hi all.

Just a quick one. Recently I have begun to intensify my previously scattered attempts at meditation. I have been focusing on my breathing, being aware of in breaths and being aware of when the breath is leaving tending to focus my mind on the sensations of breath in and out of the nostrils.
My problem, or at least my question to you helpful lot, is that when I get in to it, say about 15mins in, my breathing lessens a great deal and my mind then tend to begin to drift from the former focus point - the nose - to my abdomen and then back. Sometimes I find myself focusing on the thing as a whole and the relation between the movements of the abdomen and the sensation in the nose. My question is whether you think that this is defeating the purpose of single pointedness attention? in other words do you think it may be disadvantageous to try and take in to much?

Thanks

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I'm not sure that you have achieved single pointed concentration. If you are getting distracted then I would suppose not. Just a thought. I have never achieved single pointed concentration by the way.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    There are different styles of practice for different people and it's hard to give advice that is suitable for everyone. My advice is to take a short break without getting up. Just sit and relax for a minute or so without doing any practice. Then resume with your original practice. I don't think it helps to switch around your practice when it starts getting difficult. Whatever you start with, you should finish with, or if it gets too difficult, just end the meditation session.