Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New to meditation & have some questions

edited September 2005 in Buddhism Basics
hi i'm a new buddhist and i need some help. what exactly is meditation and how do you do it, like, do you have to sit with your legs crossed, do you have to fast, or what?

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited September 2005
    Welcome to our site, Sufferer.

Meditation is many things, and yet it is really nothing. Meditation is the act of clearing the mind and becoming aware of the present moment. It takes a lot of practice but is ultimately one of the most important things you can do for yourself.

You can meditate sitting down, walking, laying down, driving, going to the bathroom, and basically doing anything that you do in the normal course of your day. The key is to do things mindfully and be fully committed to, and fully aware of, the task you are performing. If you are practicing sitting meditation, be fully aware of sitting, of breathing.
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Here's how I do it, variations abound. It's based on breathing.

Sit relaxed but alert in a chair, or on a cushion or stool. Soften your belly (relax), keep the spine straight. Relax your eyelids, but don't close them. Let your gaze just de-focus. But stay as alert as a samurai waiting to draw his sword!

Your attention needs something to focus on. Just follow the sound of your breath, the feel of the nose, the rising and falling of the body. You will start to notice your wandering monkey-mind, which is easily distracted. See if you can "drop" all thoughts, wake up and experience a few seconds of clarity and peace.

It's easy to do for a few moments, but it's very hard to keep your mind still for more than a few seconds. Thoughts bubble up and your senses (inluding your mind) distract you. You will find your mind noisy and chatty at first.

Don't have any expectations, just keep returning your awareness to your breathing. I personally don't use candles, images or anything.

It helps to do yoga or breathing exercises before you start. Best time to do it is just after waking and just before sleep. An empty stomach is better, but hunger can distract you. And a full stomach can make you drowsy.

Peace!

:doh:
  • edited September 2005
    :p thx guys, i think i can get the hang of the meditation thing
  • treetop_buddhatreetop_buddha Explorer
    edited September 2005
    :grin::grin: :winkc: yep thanx for the info and ill keep trying to get a hang of it thanx for the support