Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation Accessories

edited April 2010 in Meditation
Any recommendations for what a beginner should be looking for? I see alot of different types of mats and pillows and have no idea what is really necessary. Are there different types of pillows based on body type, etc... I have long legs but not the most flexible these days.

I'm probably over-thinking but any tips would be appreciated.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    You need no accessories. Just sit comfortably on a folded up towel, and raise your pelvis slightly higher than your knees.
    if you need to lean on a wall, lean on a wall. if you want to sit in a chair, sit in a chair. if you wish to stand in front of a window, stand in front of a window.

There is no 'need' to have anything when you meditate.

There's plenty you 'could' have... But why spend money on things that ultimately you must become completely detached from.... ?
  • edited April 2010
    Thank you very much. See, I do over-think!
  • edited April 2010
    The goal is to have less!
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Fold a blanket in quarters & park your butt on that. If you are sitting on a hard floor, place yourself & folded blanket on top of another blanket.

When you visit a group, you will get a chance to try out the different meditation cushions and figure out what you like.
  • edited April 2010
    I tend to use a pillow folded in half. It is so hard to resist buying all the bumf! I personally like having a small shrine in my room cause its a place i can go and no one else goes near and its my personal refuge where I go and talk to Tara. On it I have a statue of the Goddess Tara, Buddha, and the Hindu goddess Saraswati (goddess of wisdom), seven water offering bowls, two food offering bowls, a singing bowl, and an incense burner, o and a candle. Every morning i sit my bum on that pillow, light the candle and the incense, chime the singing bowl, make offerings of water whilst going to the three jewels for refuge, say a homage prayer to Tara, tell Tara what i am having issues with, then focus on my breathing whilst opening my chakras to get rid of all negative vibes to be ready for the day. All in all, this takes 10 minutes and now i can't start my day without it! And yes i do work full time. We can all take 10 mins in a morning right? xxx
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited April 2010
    The goal is to have less!

the goal is to cling less