Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is Awakening like?

buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
edited September 2005 in Buddhism Basics
I was reading a book by Stephen Batchelor - who used to be an ordained Buddhist monk. I believe he might have been a Tibetan AND Zen Buddhist.

Anyway, he was writing in this book that "awakening" just happens. It isn't something you strive for. We might even deduce that Siddartha wasn't trying to become "awake" when it happened. I sometimes think he didn't know what he was striving for. Remember, he was out in the wilderness (after having followed some other practices) when all of a sudden, he was "awake".

In paraphrasing Stephen Batchelor, he says that it's when you quit striving for enlightenment that it "may" happen to you. For example, in the image below, Stephen states that this is a near photo quality image of something most of us have seen in life or in pictures our entire time on this planet.

But, I know when I looked at this image (or one like it) I couldn't see what it was.

I "thought" it might have been a couple of things - but I wasn't sure. I thought it could be someone lying down or something. but, I could have easily been talked out of my perception - because I just wasn't sure. And trust me, I kept an image like this that I looked at all the time trying to figure it out.

But, when I finally relaxed my mind and quit trying or forcing the realization to happen - all of a sudden, it clicked.

Once it clicked, I knew what it was without a doubt. I knew what the truth of the image was and could not be talked out of it. If someone told me it was something else, I knew that what they were saying wasn't true - because I just "knew" with everything in me.

Try it. Take a look at this image. See what you come up with. Don't write anything here so that other may partake without having it ruined. If you get too frustrated, pm me and I'll give you some clues.

-bf

Comments

• edited September 2005
    Humm, the top left corner looks like the head of a hound dog to me.

I've seen this in a book before, and I know what he said it is, but I don't see that at all.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited September 2005
    So, you actually know what it is supposed to be? (shhhh.... don't say what it is... pm me if you want some help...)

I also knew what it was supposed to be and just could not figure it out for the longest time. Maybe a month? I had even finished reading the book this example was in and refused to put it down or get rid of it until I could see what was in the picture. I wanted to go through the exercise and figure it out.

But, when it happened, I knew without a doubt what it was.

Hopefully people aren't taking this too literally - that by being able to figure out what is in an optical illusion - that you've somehow gained "enlightenment".

But, I believe the analogy is the same. Once you do become "enlightened" or "awakened" - you will just know. You will know for certain - without a doubt. Even if your awakening is different from someone elses - you just know.

-bf
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Exactly, BF, which is wht we can have the way pointed out to us, but it is that sudden shift in perception that makes all the difference.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    Eckhart Tolle (Author of 'The Power of Now') had what I would term his "Ahaaa" moment immediately following or during a moment of deep and total depression and despair.....
    He was thinking that he couldn't live with himself - then thought, "If 'I' can't live with 'myself' - there must be TWO identities... Who is this 'I'? Who is this 'Myself'? " he then fell into unconsciousness, and when he awoke, it was as if EVERYTHING in his life was new, and he was seeing everything, as if for the first time....
    I remember reading somewhere that the Dalai Lama is of the opinion that he may well be an Enlightened person.... But I can't for the life of me remember where I read it, or how long ago.... :scratch: :-/
    The Book I believe is brilliant, whatever anyone's opinion on the Author. And what I like is that he transcends religion, and is to my mind, both logical and sensible.

I bet he'd know what the damn picture is....!! :banghead: :lol:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    Got it.

Thanks for help.....

That was pretty quick after you helped....

Anyone now know a short-cut to Enlightenment? I'm a real fast learner - !! :D :bigclap: :lol:
  • edited September 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    So, you actually know what it is supposed to be? (shhhh.... don't say what it is... pm me if you want some help...)

I also knew what it was supposed to be and just could not figure it out for the longest time. Maybe a month? I had even finished reading the book this example was in and refused to put it down or get rid of it until I could see what was in the picture. I wanted to go through the exercise and figure it out.

But, when it happened, I knew without a doubt what it was.

Hopefully people aren't taking this too literally - that by being able to figure out what is in an optical illusion - that you've somehow gained "enlightenment".

But, I believe the analogy is the same. Once you do become "enlightened" or "awakened" - you will just know. You will know for certain - without a doubt. Even if your awakening is different from someone elses - you just know.

-bf
    Actually I just now looked up the picture I was thinking of, and It's not the same picture. Same sort of picture though--looks like ink blots on a paper :lol: