Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Posture

FenixFenix Veteran
edited April 2010 in Meditation
Meditate in a comfortable chair with your feet on the ground. If your feet don't touch the ground, put a pillow or cushion beneath them. Position your sitting bones so they are firmly connected to the chair, and lengthen your spine. Tuck your tailbone and gently draw in your abdomen. Place your hands on your legs--either palms up or down.
Is that even possible?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Yes, why do you ask? Why would that not be possible?:)
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I am a 65 kg, 180 cm, 20 year old, realtively fit boy and i can not sit straight in ANY chair or position without signifigant discomfort. All the pressuare goes to my lower spine, so I have to relax my whole spine to a slouch to stay stable. How is that possible to do all of the above, without straining?

Currently I am using a chair with a back rest so I lean back on that now and then, but it feels like it is unpractical. I can meditate for a while, then my whole back starts to ache.
  • edited April 2010
    Your problems are probably as a result of a lifelong issue with posture. Sitting straight should be easier on your body, than slouching. Don't tense up y our back trying to hold it straight, just imagine you have a string on the top of your head, and someone is pulling it straight up, and then when you are straight relax, but still feel that feeling like someone is holding you up by that string.

I'm much heavier than you, and have no issues. The discomforts when you first start meditating are ones that you learn to look past.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Also, tuck your coccyx under, but make it a mechanical (skeletal) tilt, rather than a muscular contraction one (of the abdominals)....
    This elongates the spine, spaces the lumbar vertebrae out, and eliminates the hollow at the base of the back, above the pelvis....
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    edited April 2010
    been meditating 2 and half months, still having straight spine problem, but i remember first meditating session..was "omg im the hunch back of notre dame"
  • edited April 2010
    I have issues with my back and cannot meditate on chairs, but have found positioning a cushion under my bottom and perching on the end of it, letting my knees lie flat on the floor when cross-legged, raises my lower back and stops it hurting all together!