Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

thoughts

edited April 2010 in Meditation
sometimes I have thoughts that are sad. they are thoughts about the situation. I know that these thoughts need not exist, and that without them, the situation would not be sad, but I don't know how to get rid of them. Will they slowly stop appearing if i keep meditating, or is there something specific I should be doing to address this?

I put this thread in the meditation section because even when i meditate after a "sad" situation, I feel like i cannot get rid of these thoughts. even if i try to not resist thinking them, they remain there. i would like them to go away.

Comments

• aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    My suggestion is to take those sad thoughts and emotions and wrap them up in a blanket like a baby and pull them into your chest in an embrace. Let yourself feel the whole of the seed that creates the sorrow... which is to be nurtured and cared for, not suppressed. The hope is to be sad with all your tears and be happy with a broad smile. The letting go will happen naturally when you let yourself grieve for what has happened.

For me this happens by letting the thoughts occur without letting them recycle over and over. Just enough to get the main archetype back into my body. Then I breathe and focus my compassion on the circumstances that seem to drive this sorrow forward. The real pain, the real sadness all exist with me and I just keep myself aware of my breathing at the same time. Eventually it will subside, and I usually have some phantom "causal" seeds that pop forward (it happened because...) and those I laugh with, because letting those go after the passing of the emotionality seem to prevent the same depth of re-occurrence and the irony seems much more available when the tears are drying on my cheeks.

I have found letting sorrow fuel self-nurturance works well. Remember though that meditation is not a tums for an upset stomach, but a preemptive measure to let us open our hearts directly into and onto the world.

Good luck and much love,
    Matt
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2010
    The meditation section is an excellent place for a question like this.

Wanting to get rid of sad thoughts like this is very natural. Meditating when they occur is a great idea. Unfortunately, it is not possible to simply banish them. However, if you learn to meditate in the midst of experiencing them, they will simply disappear.

It is possible to accelerate this process. The trick is to include the experience of the sadness in the meditation, and open your heart to it. In the process of doing that, some other mental phenomena might come to light; then you include that and open your heart to it as well, and so on. The process is described in more detail in these recordings from a retreat a couple of years ago.
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    edited April 2010
    about that this is what iv learned lately :

1) a constant "sad thought" its the manifestation of a deep problem.
    u dont win nothing by fighting the manifestation if u ignore the deep cause.

2) the deep problem its the result of a wrong thinking/view about something.

3) how meditation helps:

-recognizing the true problem,the root, by being aware of it. (an awareness gained as a result of a clean focus mind.)

-wanting to solve "the problem", by having the energy to face it (maybe at the beginning by a passenger "happiness", gained by the positive experience of meditating)

-solve it replacing the misconception for a correct thought, a correct thought gained throught the "wisdom" of seeing things as they really are= correcting deep mind rutines/points of view/ego "i" issues=becoming untied about that subject= much more happy life.

Keep meditating, and sorry for my english
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Accept the sad thought. Ask it how long it wants to stay. And then bid it farewell. Repeat as necessary.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited April 2010
    sometimes I have thoughts that are sad. they are thoughts about the situation. I know that these thoughts need not exist, and that without them, the situation would not be sad, but I don't know how to get rid of them. Will they slowly stop appearing if i keep meditating, or is there something specific I should be doing to address this?

I put this thread in the meditation section because even when i meditate after a "sad" situation, I feel like i cannot get rid of these thoughts. even if i try to not resist thinking them, they remain there. i would like them to go away.

The action of Buddhism is not to remove/get rid of sad thoughts, but to change your relationship to them.

This is because our suffering arises from our desire to only have that which we want and to never have that which we don't want. This is impossible in life, and it is our attachment-aversion and the seriousness we give to it that makes us so unhappy.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited April 2010
    FoibleFull wrote: »
    The action of Buddhism is not to remove/get rid of sad thoughts, but to change your relationship to them.
    which will eventually result in sad thoughts disappearing.

You have recurring sad thoughts because you hang on to them.
    Even when you believe you want them to go away.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Accept it. I have noticed that the more I fight it the worse it gets. First we need to accept that we are sad. And then try to see the futility of this thought and how it arises. Always you see the cause as some kind of self identification. When you realize that, the sadness fades away, if not completely.