Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why did you become Buddhist? Did it change your life?

edited April 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Why did you become Buddhist? Did it change your life? In what way?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    I decided to follow a Buddhist path nearly 20 years ago.
    I settled for the Tradition of Theravada, and Took Refuge officially, in 2008.
    It has changed my life, for the better.
    In too many ways to mention!:D
  • edited April 2010
    federica wrote: »
    I decided to follow a Buddhist path nearly 20 years ago.
    I settled for the Tradition of Theravada, and Took Refuge officially, in 2008.
    It has changed my life, for the better.
    In too many ways to mention!:D

Would you care to describe some of the ways it changed your life?
  • edited April 2010
    This is why I became a Buddhist:

Just when I thought I had learned and understood the height of science, philosophy, quantum physics, and metaphysics (beyond what less than 1% of the population is even aware of, advanced and esoteric), I arrived in my Philosophy of Religions college course (I am extremely anti-theist btw), and we reached the topic of Buddhism. My college professor was teaching and having a discourse about the big metaphysical questions and this is what happened.

As he was talking about these big philosophical questions (God, nature of reality, afterlife), I sat there arrogantly thinking, "Pssh, I already know all the answers to this." And then he told us the Buddha's response to these questions: "He would turn and look at you in silence." That's when it when it struck me and I realized that Buddha not only taught the advanced philosophical teachings I already knew, but he was FAR beyond that.

I realized that despite my advanced understanding, even I tended to cling to certain ideas, speculation, and belief. But Buddha said ALL beliefs are barriers to knowing the truth. Just be silent and know.

• MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I'm not sure I've "become" a Buddhist really. When I started reading seriously about Buddhism, I realized that aside from specific stuff the Buddha taught and said, in a philosophical way I'd always been a Buddhist. As long as I can remember being able to ponder it, I've always believed in a single universal consciousness, and I've always believed that our consciousness is reborn. I wasn't up on the whole liberation thing, but my basic world view has pretty much always been Buddhist. Once I sort of got turned on to things by a wonderful counselor I was seeing some years ago, I started doing some more serious reading about Buddhism. I had this sort of "ah ha!" moment when I realized that what I was reading summed up my philosophy very nicely, so, whammo-bammo, I'm a Buddhist. Sort of.

I don't know that I've "officially" taken refuge, but I suppose by default I have. How has it changed my life? Oy veh... that's a big one. Let's just say that there's very little about my outlook that hasn't changed. I still have the same basic life. I still go to the grocery store and I still pay my bills and I still play with my dogs. But my outlook is very different than it used to be. And I hope my behavior and my interpersonal dealings have changed a lot too.

Mtns
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited April 2010
    in my early 20's, i was contemplating suicide.

I've had 3-4 years of misery, anticipated by a depressing teenage years.

but, somehow i got better.
    I was doing alot of thinking about life, how one should approach it, making my own observations.
    At one point, when i was about 27-28, I believed i was enlighten, or that i had the enlightenment within the reach of my hand.
    Even tho i knew nothing of Buddhism.
    In my very limited knowledge of it, I thought of Buddhism as just another religion.
    I had no interest in it.

Until one day I was talking to my (soon to become wife) girl friend about the things that I had observe of life.

My wife is korean (I'm white), and she was familiar with Buddhism.
    Every single thing that i was telling her, about emotions, about life, about concepts, about how human interact and act and why do they act a certain way, she told me it was very similar to Buddhism.

So I began to be interested in Buddhism.
    I've read a few books, and every pages i turned i would find something that took me a long time to figure out.
    I would just show a page to my wife and read it to her, and i will follow with something like:"see, it's just like when i say this or that, but they phrased it differently".
    (I still had a strong ego ;)

So from then on i figured, what is the point of figuring all of that stuff all by myself, it's like learning about mathematic, you can figure out a few concepts by yourself but you will progress much faster if you just go to mathematic course at the university.
    So I figured i should take some course in the university of life, i will save alot of time.

How did i change?

I never get upset anymore.
    Build up emotions are no longer there and no longer build up ;)
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I haven't really reached the point where I would identify myself as a Buddhist, but I have benefited greatly from my contact with this religion. Buddhism gave me a lot of practical solutions to problems that nothing else - psychotherapy, religion, etc. - had given me. For example, I came to depression initially during a period of depression. I read a book on Buddhism that showed me how to relate to those feelings in a way in which I neither had to repress/control them nor did I have to become overwhelmed by them.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    BuddhaOdin wrote: »
    Would you care to describe some of the ways it changed your life?
    No....
    You don't know me, so they would mean nothing to you, really....
    But those very close to me, know well....:)
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I forgot to mention that i used to be extremely shy, self conscious, wanting to isolate myself etc...

I can hardly remember how that felt like.
  • edited April 2010
    I was interested in the Krishna faith and was reading the Gita through college. I found the concept of having an 'inner faith' great and more suiting than me. I followed Christ through my childhood as I was conditioned to, but never understood the idea of a Supreme Godhead. I never wanted to 'risk' surrendering my mind to God(s)/Goddess(es) as I felt it may be more delusion. I also didn't agree with the caste system in Hinduism. My brother introduced me to Buddhism, I kept an interest in it but the interest only bloomed recently.

So far it has made a substantial change in how I view the world.
  • edited April 2010
    I'm probably the exception to the rule. I became a Buddhist before I had chosen to become a Buddhist. That is, I was studying Buddhism and came to the truth by accident (as far as my intent), and have thereafter been on this path not out of belief, but because I know; I see. These truths have changed the direction of my life and there is only one goal to look toward now.
  • edited April 2010
    I'm new to all this, but my story is much like Mountain above. Brought up a Lutheran and dated and married Catholics. But Western religion never really worked for me, more ideology than spirituality, more people joining a club so they could say they were better than non-believers (while their actions were anything but Christian).

My life and beliefs were already along the lines of Buddhism, but I was completely unaware of it. I've led a fortunate life for 55 years with relatively little suffering, would have been even better had I known. But I had no idea until I read A New Earth and subsequently several Buddhist books, DVD's, etc. It was almost as if someone had created a philosophy tailor made for me, it made everything make more sense than ever, one 'a-ha' moment after another.

I have probably learned 1% of it, can see 10%, and I know the other 90% is out there now. I liken it to standing at the shore on the ocean - I can see everything at my feet very clearly, and I can see a long way out from the shore but not as clearly, and I know it goes on forever beyond what I can see (yet). I can't wait for the rest of my spiritual life.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Why did you become Buddhist? Did it change your life? In what way?

BuddhaOdin, you ask many questions. Out of curiousity, do you consider yourself a Buddhist? If so, what sources do you use for learning Buddhism? Thanks.
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I took refuge last night. I have said it a few times but it really MEANT something last night. It was a big deal and this morning I feel different - not in a huge transformational way, but in a subtle "i-made-the-right-decision-last-night" way. I was driving to work this morning and I took the time to notice people on their bikes, walking down the street. The woman in the car next to me at the lights looked sad so when she looked at me I smiled at her and she smiled back. I hope my smile made her feel better.

I was raised Catholic by an uber strict Roman Catholic dad and a non-observant Jewish mother who converted to Catholicism to marry my dad (back then you had to convert - Catholicism was showing those Jewish roots LOL). I always questioned things. Not to upset people but I was quite a nosey child. The priests and nuns grew to regard me with suspicion but it was very innocent. When I was 17 we did a comparative religions course and Buddhism and Judaism were two of the religions we studied. Judaism was interesting from a heritage point of view, but Buddhism fascinated me because the monks were just so CALM. Nothing seemed to upset them. However I couldn't quite get my head around anatta (no self) so I kept reading about it and decided to use Buddhist meditations while exploring other faiths.

I was drawn to Celtic and Egyptian history and after meeting a woman who turned out to be a traditional Garderian Wiccan (this was pre-internet LOL), I was invited to meet and later join her coven. I remained Gardnerian Wiccan for 8 years before finding a Kemetic (Egyptian) temple and remained there till last year.

I have never stopped reading about Buddhism or using Buddhist meditation. But after leaving the Temple last year, I really asked myself what path was for me. I had sporadic periods of immersing myself in Buddhism and finding it to be very calming and centering - ironically, almost ALWAYS during a crisis, and then pulling back when things were fine. About four or five months ago, I decided to seriously study and follow Buddhism. I've had my hiccups but have also found this place and am learning from people here :) as well as finding a place to study IRL - I've just moved so I'm still finding out things.

The interesting thing is, I still believe in the Gods. True, it's hard to reconcile fully with my practise. But I've wondered if perhaps reaching Nibbana for me is being able to let go of that belief and just BE?

Respectfully,
    Raven

PS - Odin is one of my Patrons.
  • edited April 2010
    That's great to hear dhammachick. I'm glad you've found your way to the path... finally. :) Your religious journey is a very interesting one; more twists and turns than most. As to your beliefs, there's nothing wrong with still believing in the Gods. After all, we can't know that they do not exist. As long as it does not interfere with your ability to practice Buddhism, they remain a source of strength for you. We all hold on to things.

Being that there are four stages of awakening (Nibbana being the last), you may at any time reach such a state that you let go of beliefs that you find to be incompatible with the self-knowledge you gain, or that you simply no longer feel you need. There are many more important things to abandon before this, the foremost of which is the illusion of "self".

Awakening is gradual and does take some time, but there's no rush in the abandonment of all of your "beliefs" right at the start. Simply understand the concepts taught in Buddhism and practice its teachings, and when the conditions are right you will simply know.
  • edited April 2010
    FoibleFull wrote: »
    BuddhaOdin, you ask many questions. Out of curiousity, do you consider yourself a Buddhist? If so, what sources do you use for learning Buddhism? Thanks.

Do I seem Buddhist? I will answer you.
    edited April 2010
    Do I seem Buddhist? I will answer you.

You seem to be a seeker - you remind me of me.
    edited April 2010
    Thanks Stephen :) And thanks for the kind words. Often I have felt very out of my depth as I am the first to acknowledge I am EXTREMELY wet behind the ears when it comes to Buddhism. But I feel like I am making progress and that can only be a good thing.
    Stephen wrote: »
    That's great to hear dhammachick. I'm glad you've found your way to the path... finally. :) Your religious journey is a very interesting one; more twists and turns than most. As to your beliefs, there's nothing wrong with still believing in the Gods. After all, we can't know that they do not exist. As long as it does not interfere with your ability to practice Buddhism, they remain a source of strength for you. We all hold on to things.

Being that there are four stages of awakening (Nibbana being the last), you may at any time reach such a state that you let go of beliefs that you find to be incompatible with the self-knowledge you gain, or that you simply no longer feel you need. There are many more important things to abandon before this, the foremost of which is the illusion of "self".

Awakening is gradual and does take some time, but there's no rush in the abandonment of all of your "beliefs" right at the start. Simply understand the concepts taught in Buddhism and practice its teachings, and when the conditions are right you will simply know.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    The woman in the car next to me at the lights looked sad so when she looked at me I smiled at her and she smiled back. I hope my smile made her feel better.

:)
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    As for me, I became a Buddhist because I happened to come across the teachings of the Buddha at a time in my life when I really needed them (although, arguably, they are really needed at all times for us unenlightened beings!). Gradually I practiced a little meditation, learned a bit more, decided to keep the five precepts and have been learning more and more since then. Now I am giving some serious thought to becoming a monk. Five years ago, there was no way I would entertain such a possibility = Anicca (impermanence) + Anatta (not-self).
  • edited April 2010
    I became a buddhist when I realised the Pagan wiccan path i was following was too self-centred and made me a very selfish and egotistical person. The Dharma gives you a set of rules and guidelines by which you can be a better person, serve others, love others and use their qualities to perfect your own and as such end your suffering and help others to end their suffering. I have been through a lot in my life and since reading and learning the Dharma it just makes everything make sense and offers explanations for why everything has happened in my life, which is such a comfort and makes the question 'why is this happening to me' irreverent. Its like taking all the shit life throws at you and recycling it into nourishing and delicious food. Its just remembering to hit the recycling button!
  • edited April 2010
    Glow wrote: »
    ..during a period of depression. I read a book on Buddhism that showed me how to relate to those feelings in a way in which I neither had to repress/control them nor did I have to become overwhelmed by them.

This has also been my experience. :)
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Emma-Angel wrote: »
    Its like taking all the shit life throws at you and recycling it into nourishing and delicious food. Its just remembering to hit the recycling button!

Couldn't have said it better myself!
  • edited April 2010
    GuyC wrote: »
    Couldn't have said it better myself!

:D:lol:
  • edited April 2010
    Recycling shit into nourishment is a great way to think about it!
    edited April 2010
    Do I seem Buddhist?
    From the nature of your questions, likely not.
    I will answer you.
    Again, likely not.
  • edited April 2010
    FoibleFull wrote: »
    From the nature of your questions, likely not.

Again, likely not.

Then why I ask?

I am studying Buddhism - I have some books on Buddhism but I have not finished reading them.
  • edited April 2010
    And what is wrong with asking questions? If people don't want to answer them then they don't have to.
    edited April 2010
    And what is wrong with asking questions? If people don't want to answer them then they don't have to.

Where did you get the idea I was saying, or even thinking, it was wrong to ask questions?
  • skydancerskydancer Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I first encountered the dharma soon after my father's suicide in 1981. I went to my first teaching about the Four Noble Truths and was moved by them. I went to my first silent ten day retreat in 1982, and my second five day retreat in 1985. I met my partner of 25 years now at that retreat and because of that we have made dharma central to our married life together.

My heart opened at the first retreat I attended in 1982 and it completely terrified me, which is why it took me three years before I went to another retreat. I didn't have a teacher or community until meeting my partner and having relationships was crucial to my unfolding path.

My life continues to be blessed and changed by the dharma and I have a daily practice as well as several retreats throughout the year to keep my committments.

It is delightful to meet and share the path of practice with all of you here. May this forum continue to help all sentient beings until samsara is empty.