Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dealing with a Christian Boyfriend.

edited September 2005 in Faith & Religion
My boyfriend is a Christian. We often have discussions about our different beliefs. He gets a little upset and I try to explain myself as clearly as possible. I do have a couple questions, and he asked them and they stumped me a little.
When you meditate on something...like...lets say you've had a bad day, so you go home and meditate on it, what exaclty are you thinking? Are you clearing your mind of all the problems that occured, isn't that kind of like running from your problems. Or is it more of putting your mind at ease...
Is meditating like praying?
I tried to explain to him that Buddah isn't a God. And you do not worship him, you simply follow his wisdom. And I even said that some buddhists believe in God.
I struggle so much when I try to explain myself, and it just confuses him. Like some of the things I do he says, "that isn't the buddhist way" Of coarse I take this as a smart allec comment, but I let it go because I continue to tell myself that he just doesn't see things the way I do.
Gees..I've got a ways to go..:)

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Anita,

In some ways, you and your boyfriend are a microcosm of the meeting between Buddhism and Christianity everywhere!

The first thing that may help is to understand that 'meditation' means something different to Christians and to Buddhists. In Christian terms, Buddhist meditation is closer to what is called 'contemplation' or ascetical prayer/mysticism. Christian meditation comes closer to the more esoteric forms of Buddhist meditation based on visualisation, similar to the great spiritual classic The Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius of Loyola.

"Meditating on...." often resembles what Ignatius called the Examen, which is a reflection on our actions and motives, whereas a simple meditation to still the mind is a preparatory exercise in Christian praxis, disposing the person to listen to God speaking within. For many Buddhists, it is an exercise in bringing the attention under conscious control and then of fixing the attention at a single, "diamond" point.

Your boyfriend has, of course, not noticed that he is laying himself wide open when he suggests that some action or inaction on your part is "not very Buddhist": how many of his actions can be termed "very Christ-like"? I am sure you are too Buddha-minded to point this out to him! When did he last walk past a beggar and ignored them? See what Jesus had to say about seeing him naked, hungry and in prison.

Persevere with compassion in your heart and, by your example, he may yet become a better Christian than he imagined possible! Your regular practice of meditation can be associated with his personal practice of prayer: after all, the Christian scriptures enjoin the believer to "pray always" (or, as I like to say, "pray all ways"!!!!) Christians and Buddhists can sit together in silence with no problem.
  • edited September 2005
    Anita,
    In my opion iy is not running away from your problems. It is taking a closer look at why you react the way you did and letting it go. For Example, I have to deal with upset customers. Sometimes it makes even me angry. So when I get home, before I might take my bad mood out on my family I meditate. I look at why it made me angry. And was it really worth raisng my blood pressure so to speak. After discovering why it made me angry, I usually find out that in truth it really wasn't worth all the hassle and let the feeling go. So I guess you can say yes it is somewhat to calm your mind and get rid of negative feelings.
    As for worshipping Buddha,I deeply respect his teachings although I follow Native American traditions, in those traditions, meditation was used for prayer. It is a way to connect with the spirits of the world and the creator.
    I ho[e this helps.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Persevere with compassion in your heart and, by your example, he may yet become a better Christian than he imagined possible!

Good point, Simon.

In my understanding of Buddhism - meditation is an integral part of it's belief - if not the major component.

How many Christians take prayer seriously and do it on a daily basis? Not any that I know of. Christianity in their life is just a label they wear every Christmas and Easter.

By seeing someone that meditates daily on their beliefs - might nudge someone in a different faith into re-evaluating their participation in their faith.

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    It's often been my experience to be asked a question, only to not have the exact words I need in order to respond satisfactorily... it's very frustrating.... you DO have the answer within, you've just been put on a back foot, and don't know how to formulate something to reply....
    I give myself a bit of breathing space...
    "Oh, wow! That's a good question! And it deserves a good answer, so let me meditate on that, so's I can give you a succinct reply! Thanks for that!"

It tends to work quite well.... it 'massages' their Ego, because they think they've stumped you, and it gives you more time to lay them flat with a verbal left hook....!! :lol:

It never hurts tho' to say.... 'I don't know. let me think on it and i'll get back to you.....' ;)
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited September 2005
    I find that way too many people define their beliefs by whichever structured religion they choose. Too much following and not enough thinking.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Meditation is simply thinking, clearing your mind properly, setting everything right.

Well we are Buddhists, we are not God. We are imperfect, we all make mistakes at times. Thank him for reminding you, though. It's still better for him to be a smart alec than ignore you totally and steer you off-course your dharma practice.
    edited September 2005
    Ajani_mgo,

I think you do meditation no service by saying it is "simply thinking".
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Seriously it is in a way thinking. When you let go your mind actually "thinks" more than when you act normally. Scientific studies have shown you activate more parts of the brain in deep meditation than in simple thinking. So, aren't we thinking when we use our brains?
  • edited September 2005
    One way to look at praying and meditation is that praying speaks to, makes a request of, or praises God, where meditation stills you and clears your mind in preparation to receive answers, signs, or guidance from your higher consciousness.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    This is where I find the connection between Buddhism & Chritianity so heartwarming.... given that the title of the thread alludes to the difficulties encountered, me, I'm always looking for a way to connect rather than to separate...
    Buddha Nature... The way we were at Birth... as Prana correctly points out.
    Christ himself said: 'Suffer the little Children to come unto me, for such is the kingdom of Heaven....' He meant exactly that. In order to get back to God-Nature, people would have to shed all the crap they'd accumulated, and go back to the purity and innocence of a child.
    Strip everything away, and we're all like that. Whether we're Buddhist, Christian, Jewish, Moslem, Hindu or Sikh.

And I have posted this in completely the wrong thread. I can't delete it. So everyone, just ignore it. :doh: :buck: :lol:

Apologies !!
  • edited September 2005
    i think, though i'm just a kid, and i do this whenever someone in my family asks a difficult question, is to meditate on the question itself, ot see all the possible answers from every point of view, and meditation is, from my view, not getting any divine guidance, but merely clearing the mind for any new challenges. :p
    edited September 2005
    Serioiusly, Sufferer, my experience of home educating my now-15-year-old son together with some of his friends is that the daily practice of meditation and our explorations of our minds appear to gon on helping them. They appear even toi cope with the mood swings of adolescence with a cheerful patience which I wish I could have had!

One of the crew maintains that meditation cured his acne but I have my doubts!
  • edited September 2005
    lol, though buddism has helped me cope with a lot of my stress, in my meditations, when i'm really angry, i just breath in and out, out with the bad, in with the good. i'm sure doing better than i was. :mullet:
  • treetop_buddhatreetop_buddha Explorer
    edited September 2005
    :p :buck: :thumbsup: :lol: :ukflag: lol

One of the crew maintains that meditation cured his acne but I have my doubts!

how many members of the crew do u have ??

and how do u quote things?????
    edited September 2005
    Treetop, dear friend,

How many in the 'crew'? Very much a catch-as-catch-can. While I was home ed-ing Jack, we sued to be about 6. Since he went back to school, this has grown to (sometimes) 8 or 10, and sometimes just Jack and me. I let them know when we shall be having "Quiet Time" and they come or not as the mood takes them. Also, if they get all heated, as any group of ados will, they sometimes ask me if we can have some quiet! The first time a 14year-old asked me if they could have some Quiet Time, I was flabbergasted but I exist to serve them, apparently.

Quoting: are you asking about how to show it as a quote in a post? If so, there are a couple of ways: if you want to quote someone's post, click on the button marked 'Quote' at the bottom right of the post you want to quote. You can then edit out what you don't want - this is also a very good way of misrepresenting another's post! LOL

Another way is to cut-and-paste. With the text pasted and still highlighted in your reply, you can click on the last button in the editing icons above your reply, which looks like a speech bubble. This will wrap the necessary HTML tags around your selected text.

Personally, I usually use cut-and-paste and type in the tags before and after. The tags you want are [*quote] and [*/quote] (omitting the stars).

I found all this out by trial and error so I may have missed something, being entirely self-taught in HTML. And, if this is not what you meant and I have been "teaching my grandmother to suck eggs", I apologise if I have been patronising.

BTW, if, like me, you use lots of cut-and-paste, and like to review them or go back to see what's worth keeping or whatever, I have found a little program which is a marvel:
    http://www.intelexual.com/products/yc3/
    edited September 2005
    Treetop, dear friend,

How many in the 'crew'? Very much a catch-as-catch-can. While I was home ed-ing Jack, we sued to be about 6. Since he went back to school, this has grown to (sometimes) 8 or 10, and sometimes just Jack and me

Hey,this is fun... I didn't know how to do this before....!!
    I let them know when we shall be having "Quiet Time" and they come or not as the mood takes them. Also, if they get all heated, as any group of ados will, they sometimes ask me if we can have some quiet!

man I could get used to this, and be really irritating!!
    The first time a 14year-old asked me if they could have some Quiet Time, I was flabbergasted but I exist to serve them, apparently.

All parents do. This is why God put us on this Earth. Except for his own son, who ended up serving him. Big time.
    Quoting: are you asking about how to show it as a quote in a post? If so, there are a couple of ways:

Ok, do tell.... I'm all ears....
    if you want to quote someone's post, click on the button marked 'Quote' at the bottom right of the post you want to quote. You can then edit out what you don't want - this is also a very good way of misrepresenting another's post! LOL

Would I.....?
    Another way is to cut-and-paste. With the text pasted and still highlighted in your reply, you can click on the last button in the editing icons above your reply, which looks like a speech bubble. This will wrap the necessary HTML tags around your selected text.

Indeed. so much more enjoyable....
    Personally, I usually use cut-and-paste and type in the tags before and after. The tags you want are [*quote] and [*/quote] (omitting the stars).

Don't get complicated now.... I'm just beginning to enjoy myself....
    I found all this out by trial and error so I may have missed something, being entirely self-taught in HTML.

I found this out by tapping into your hard-earnt knowledge, Simon.... Ta ever so.....!!
    And, if this is not what you meant and I have been "teaching my grandmother to suck eggs", I apologise if I have been patronising.

Simon, you may be many things, but Patronising you ain't.... :)
    BTW, if, like me, you use lots of cut-and-paste, and like to review them or go back to see what's worth keeping or whatever, I have found a little program which is a marvel:
    http://www.intelexual.com/products/yc3/

Now you've lost me....!! :lol:
    edited September 2005
    federica wrote:
    Now you've lost me....!! :lol:

The little program is called Yankee Clipper. When you highlight and copy a text or picture, it is copied to your Clipboard. When you 'copy' sometjing else, it over-writes previously copied things. With Yankee Clipper, each copy is kept, so that you can go back to earlier stuff.

It's really useful: for example, I have a 'boilerplate' (permanent copy on YC) of accented letters so that I can put them into posts or my writing as I use a standard QWERTY keyboard and cannot remember the ASCII key-strokes!

Is that any clearer?
    edited September 2005
    Well.... the $20.00 whore quotation comes to mind (!!) but I've found the link and saved it in my favourites so's I can have a long good look on those cold and lonely winter nights, when 'winter draws on'....*sniff sniff!!* :tongue2: :lol:

Thanks Simon, always a pleasure....!! ;)
  • edited September 2005
    lol........... 'winter draws on' this is fun............... :mullet:
  • treetop_buddhatreetop_buddha Explorer
    edited September 2005
    That is funny! and what site is this?