Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation tonight

TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existenceSamsara Veteran
edited April 2010 in Meditation
I know the side effects of meditation are just that, side effects, and not the goal but I just wanted to share an experience I had tonight. My meditation practice takes me to a rock on my creek. It was dusk and as my meditation went on it became night. I practice my breathing noteing it through my nose, in and then out. Coupled with this I have been able to expand my awareness of my body sensations as well as sounds. The sound here, being my creek. My meditation lasted about an hour. Towards the end, my breathing, the sounds I heard and my body sensations came together. The feeling was almost overwhelming and for an utter lack of being able to describe it, it felt like a mental orgasm. The feeling was profoundly good and lasted for some time. That then transitioned to a state,it was short,that felt empty, dark and without an adequate description. This frightened me for a moment, I felt my heart pounding. I then fully opened my eyes. I sat there feeling sublime, I then saw a shooting star. I almost started crying. I made my bows to the Buddha, the Dharma and the Sangha and took myself home. This sublime feeling continued. I laughed with joy at the sight of my children and their playing, composed a love note for my wife, danced and washed dishes.....I looked at a ladle I was washing for 10 minutes. I don't do drugs, or use drink nor am I given to flights of fancy. I just never experienced anything like this. Any great insights? Not really, just overwhelming joy and love.
Yours in the Dharma,
Todd

Comments

• FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Yes. Been there. Done that. Is impermanent. Is not enlightenment. Sure feels good.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    The resonance you found sounds like a beautiful experience. Thank you for sharing!

Foible - such skillful supportive kindness :crazy: :lol:

With warmth,

Matt
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited April 2010
    FoibleFull wrote: »
    Yes. Been there. Done that. Is impermanent. Is not enlightenment. Sure feels good.
    I didn't want to suggest anything other than this was a paticularly good feeling/experience I had. I realize all phenomena are impermenant. It is a state I will not seek after, I will just continue my work of sitting and not knowing. Is there a thought as to what give rise to these types of mental states?
    Yours in the Dharma,
    Todd
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited April 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    The resonance you found sounds like a beautiful experience. Thank you for sharing!

Foible - such skillful supportive kindness :crazy: :lol:

With warmth,

Matt
    Thank you Matt.
    Yours in the Dharma,
    Todd
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Is there a thought as to what give rise to these types of mental states?

I relate to it much like a drowning man getting air finally. There is a gigantic sense of relief, an elation that such a panic-less space exists, such direct relating, then when that settles... its like "oh, ok... I can breathe... I am ok, back to the foot fall journey."

With warmth,

Matt