Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I've decided to become a Buddhist, I know the Basics. But what do I do now?!?

Basically I have learnt the The Four Noble Truths ect... I know all the basics and have come to the decision of becoming a Buddhist. But I don't where or how to start my buddhist life.

I know you can do the ritual at home where you recite the Pali script. But is it worth me going down to my nearest Buddhist temple & have a monk give me guidance?

Also I need some Tips on meditation I know of a basic breathing exercise. But how long as a beginner should I meditate for at one time & how often?

Any help or Tips Much appreciated THX!

Comments

• bgnbgn
    edited September 2005
    I am new too in terms of practitioner. You might find this interesting.

http://dungtrin.com/vipassana/EngMain2ndEdition.htm#

you should use internet explorer to read.
    When you get more understanding, this site gives more details
    http://satipatthana.org/satipatthana_sutta.html

Read from many masters and apply the Kalama Suttra to judge things

"It is proper for you Kalamas, to doubt, to be uncertain; uncertainty has arisen in you about what is doubtful......... Come, Kalamas. Do not go upon what has been acquired by repeated hearing; nor upon rumour; nor upon what is in the scripture; nor upon surmise; nor upon an axiom; nor upon specious reasoning; nor upon a bias towards a notion that has been pondered over; nor upon another's seeming ability; nor upon consideration , 'The monk is our teacher'.

Kalamas, when you yourselves know; 'These things are good; these things are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness', enter on and abide in them".

Best wishes
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    hello Guys and welcome....
    The most tempting thing when you find something new and wonderful, is to feel you absolutely HAVE to master everything by Saturday - no, tomorrow.... no, NOW - !!

take things easy.... skip through this wonderful forum and pick up on the posts and answers.... never hesitate to ask questions.... and yes, read different links. Sometimes doing all this will just generate new questions, and you may start feeling frustrated, unheard and impatient.
    take it easy. relax and enjoy each new experience, because it will teach you more about Buddhism and more about Yourself....

There are Rituals, ceremonies and Rites, but for my part I just decided to follow the Buddhist path by Taking Refuge in the Triple Gem quietly, on my own, at home....
    Nothing to stop you doing the same....

Meditation is such a huge word... it covers so many forms and so many different methods. Some people concentrate on the breath, some on silence, and the sounds they hear interrupting it.... some chant a specific mantra.... above all, Concentration is the key..... But don't be too hard on yourself, or try too hard either.
    MIndfulness. that's what you have to practise.
    Mindfulness. What ever you do, Fill your Mind with just this.
    If you're cutting a slice of bread, just be doing that. No commentary in your mind... 'I'm picking the knife up.... I'm slicing the loaf...." Think NOTHING. Just be Mindfull of every single action you take, without thinking anything about it. This is MindFullness. This is Meditation.
    You can do it for 30 seconds. You can do it all day. You can do it sitting, walking, standing, driving, riding a bike, lying down.....
    In Buddhism, there are no hard and fast Rules & Reg's. Other than the ones you impose upon yourself. Be kind to yourselves, and enjoy....
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited September 2005
    When I first took Buddhis seriously, I did nothing. And here am I now, with frequent compliments from people saying I'm mature... Wise... Intelligent... OK I'm not humble here I know, but it's just to prove, that the best thing to do, is to follow your inner Buddha-nature instinct.

You pretty much just get on with life as usual, just the new mindset.... When you think something is amiss or "new", think. Whn you realize something, feel, use your perceptions, see if there is another way to look at it. It's pretty simple enough, really. Just don't try.
  • kinleekinlee Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Basically I have learnt the The Four Noble Truths ect... I know all the basics and have come to the decision of becoming a Buddhist. But I don't where or how to start my buddhist life.

I know you can do the ritual at home where you recite the Pali script. But is it worth me going down to my nearest Buddhist temple & have a monk give me guidance?

Also I need some Tips on meditation I know of a basic breathing exercise. But how long as a beginner should I meditate for at one time & how often?

Any help or Tips Much appreciated THX!

Welcome. :)
  • edited October 2005
    Hi Dave, as I am sure you are aware, there are many sects of buddhism. Ranging from India, thru china, into Japan,etc. all with their basic foundation of beliefs. Most of the older buddhist sects take a lot of time and work and promise enlightenment over many life times and you must also be a man to attain enlightenment. Shakyamuni's Lotus Sutra (translation by brian wilson) is the first teaching in which he prophesised enlightenment for all living beings. This teaching was also clarified by the 13th century priest Nichiren and you can find a book of his writings at www.SGI-USA.org at the bookstore link. Nichiren is a very simple process in comparison to the earlier teachings pre-Lotus Sutra, in that it is believed that all one has to do is chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo (there is also a link on this site to hear how it sounds), which suits this period of time as perscribed by Shakyamuni in that one does not have to stop ones daily life style in order to attain enlightenment. Not only this, but one does not have to follow the 250 precepts, understand the documentary theory in order to recieve the benefit of the practice. perhaps you might want tolook at this site for more info. There is also a concordance and other online text at the buddhism/library link. Good luck in your efforts.