Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditating with a stuffed nose/cold

edited April 2010 in Meditation
How do you guys get around meditating with a stuffed nose? I tried it but it was very difficult to breathe and I gave up after a little bit.

Comments

• aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Breathe through the mouth?

With warmth,
    Matt
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Perhaps try a neti pot. You can get them most places you find over-the-counter medication. Just fill it with warm water and a little bit of sea salt (or any un-iodized salt) and rinse it out. It looks/feels weird, but it works.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2010
    How were you breathing when you weren't meditating? Just do that, and pay attention.
  • edited April 2010
    Glow's idea is great. I use one during the winter season when I have a cold. It feels strange at first, but doesn't take long to get used to. If your nose is clogged to the max, use it twice a day and it will keep your nose booger-less. They're even great when you don't have a cold, it will still strongly increase breathing through the nasal passage.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    There are a lot of medication to remove nasal blockage. Breathing through the mouth can be uncomfortable after some time as it tends to dry up your throat.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Btw. welcome to the club :(

I tend to get colds all the time
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    There are a lot of medication to remove nasal blockage. Breathing through the mouth can be uncomfortable after some time as it tends to dry up your throat.

This is true. I suffer from chronic sinusitis so I know all too well how stuffed noses can affect meditation. I am one of those unlucky people who cannot breathe through their mouth no matter how hard I try. This is especially bad for sleep and meditation. I use Sinutab PE tablets for medication (over the counter tablets at the drugstore/pharmacy) I also recommend a saline nasal spray like Fess. When it gets really bad I use a nasal spray like Sinex or Dimetapp for almost instant relief.

Hope this helps.

Respectfully,
    Raven
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hi BlackFlag,

If all else fails you can do Metta (loving-kindness) meditation instead of Anapanasati (mindfulness of breathing) meditation. Give your blocked nose some acceptance and loving kindness. Don't make war with it, make peace with it. :)

With Metta,

Guy
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I am lucky that my nose seems to be free of blockage whenever I meditate, but the book I used to get started, mentions this and tells you to breathe through your mouth if your nose is stuffy.

I've never tried mouth breathing myself, but I can see how it might get too dry for comfort after only a lil while of that.