Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Templestay for 1 year in Asia?

edited June 2010 in Sanghas
Hello everybody,

I'm really interested in Buddhism and thinking about to stay in a temple for a year or even longer. My purpose is to study Buddhism but also to experience temple life. I have been doing a few templestays before, but only for a short period.
Does anybody know a temple where you can stay and study for a long period and where they at least speak english? I'm looking for one in Asia, doesn't really matter which country.
I have been googling for a few days, but still haven't find one. Hope someone can help me.

Thanks in advance,
Yung-Wa

Comments

• edited April 2010
    I'm in Thailand, one country in Asia. Most people here are Buddhist. Here have many temples to teach meditation and Buddhism. It has one temple to teach meditation and Buddhism in English language for foreigners. Its name is Watpananachart which is one branch of Wat Nong Pah Pong. Please click link below for more detail. You can e-mail to these two temples to consult your demand.

http://www.watpananachart.org/englishversion/indexenglish.htm
    http://www.watnongpahpong.org/aboutajahnchah.php
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvGpzXd_-98
  • edited April 2010
    ng.yungwa wrote: »
    Hello everybody,

I'm really interested in Buddhism and thinking about to stay in a temple for a year or even longer. My purpose is to study Buddhism but also to experience temple life. I have been doing a few templestays before, but only for a short period.
    Does anybody know a temple where you can stay and study for a long period and where they at least speak english? I'm looking for one in Asia, doesn't really matter which country.
    I have been googling for a few days, but still haven't find one. Hope someone can help me.

Thanks in advance,
    Yung-Wa

How much experience do you have with living in a Dharma practice setting?
    If you are just getting started I would recommend that you consider shorter stays at first.
  • edited April 2010
    Mulan, thanks for the info. I will study the information on that site. Have you been to that temple before?

shenpen nangwa, thanks. I will consider that. I have little experience with living in a Dharma practice setting, but I'm live a very simple life now. I have been traveling around the world the last year and visited many temples and even stayed there sometimes. The living is not as hard I as thought and suites perfectly to my standard.
  • edited May 2010
    It is possible to get long term meditation visas for Myanmar(Burma)
    I am going there later this year and will stay at the Chanmyay Yektha where I am hoping to enrobe.
    They have a website chanmyayyektha.org
  • edited June 2010
    Thanks, I will consider Burma. Sounds like a good thing to be able to get long term meditations visas.
  • edited June 2010
    Long-term visas for Buddhist studies can be obtained in Thailand as well. Visa class is Non-immigrant type "R" (fee 1,900 THB). Can be extended. Best is to arrive in Thailand with a normal Tourist visa and apply for the "R" visa after ordination.

Cheers, Thomas