Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation Cushions

edited April 2010 in Meditation
Currently I use two blankets...one folded to act as a base, and another folded into a small square to act as a cushion for my butt...I use it outside as well, when it gets dirty..I wash it, and its good to go again.

I've been looking online at zafu/zabuton sets and OMG are they crazy expensive...100.00 for, in essence, a blanket and an overfilled cushion?! Really?

Is there anywhere cheap to find them? I'm perfectly happy using my two blanket system if there isn't..just wanted to know.

Comments

• Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I know of this place, don't know about prices though:

http://www.stillsitting.com/sitting-on/classic-zafu-new.html

Best,

Abu
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited April 2010
    If you're happy with the blankets then there's no need for a cushion.

incidentally, I bough mine for £6 from a Thai festival. I've had it years and it's a perfect height and density for me :) There's no need for such expence really.

Nios.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Ren79 wrote: »
    100.00 for, in essence, a blanket and an overfilled cushion?! Really?
    You'll find "Buddhist products" generally overpriced because the people seeking them are generally affluent enough to afford them. For us common folk, folded blankets does indeed do the trick. :)
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I bought a $79 kneeling bench from Snow Lion, because I was sitting 8 hours a day, and using a blanket was restricting urogenital blood flow. It was right before the Christmas break, and I needed a quick solution before all the shops closed.

Then I bought the same style of bench as a gift for my girlfriend, more as a show of support for her practice than anything else.

If you're not in a hurry and don't need it to be fancy, there are instructions on making your own zafus from buckwheat hulls on the web.
  • edited April 2010
    Also, you can find out how to build your own bench here.
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I use two pillows. It works great, better than the zafus at the zen center
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I also use two pillows. They provide enough support and they aren't overly soft, or too hard, as a folded blanket might be.

I'm not too flexible and I sit in the Burmese position, so I need a lil bit of height in my cushion and I don't think folded blankets could provide me with that.