Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

protection mantra?

edited April 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Hi everyone, I'm a new user and I'm posting here to ask your help.
I'm Delia, 26 from Italy. I'm looking for a prayer of protection from diseases and any negativity, for me and my family...it's not easy to find something clear on the net. i found this mantra

OM BENZA PANI HUM
or
OM VAJRAPANI HAYAGRIVA GARUDA HUM PHAT

do you think it's exactly what i'm looking for?

thanks in advance

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Hi Delia,
    Usually in order for these mantra's to be useful you will transmission of them from a qualified teacher. Most mantra's fall into the class of tantra. Tantra means continuity, that continuity is why it is important to get transmission.
    That said there are a couple that you can use that I would recommend over the two you posted.
    The mantra of Padmasambhava
    om ah hung vajra guru padma siddhi hung

The mantra of Tara
    om tare tuttare ture soha

the mantra of Avalokiteshvara
    om mani padme hung

these will be the best ones for you to research and implement now.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2010
    pollon2020 wrote: »
    I'm looking for a prayer of protection from diseases and any negativity, for me and my family...
    You and all members of your family will suffer and die. There is no protection from this.
  • edited April 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    You and all members of your family will suffer and die. There is no protection from this.
    true but completely irrelevant and loaded with assumptions about the op.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited April 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    You and all members of your family will live dramatic situations and die. There is no protection from this.

no? :)
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Not irrelevant, but possibly presumptuous. I apologize.
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I'm Delia, 26 from Italy. I'm looking for a prayer of protection from diseases and any negativity, for me and my family...it's not easy to find something clear on the net. i found this mantra

OM BENZA PANI HUM
    or

thanks in advance

I don't think Buddhism offers any kind of protection in the sense you seem to be needing.

Disease and negativity are a part of life to the Buddhist. Live well, eat well and try to reduce them in your practice is all I can suggest.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    There are no restrictions on the recitation of Chenrezig's mantra, OM MANI PADME HUM and its recitation has many benefits. You shouldn't think seeking temporary benefits for your friends and family is un-Buddhist. We all eat when we're hungry, put on coats when we're cold, take medicine when we're sick. It's the same thing.
  • edited April 2010
    thickpaper wrote: »
    I don't think Buddhism offers any kind of protection in the sense you seem to be needing.

Disease and negativity are a part of life to the Buddhist. Live well, eat well and try to reduce them in your practice is all I can suggest.
    This is inaccurate. There are methods that are available in certain traditions for improving ones conditions. The objective is of course to make the conditions more conducive to practice and realization.
  • edited April 2010
    thanks to all those who answered
    well, i perfectly know that everyone must suffer, and that diseases and death are not avoidable simply through a mantra, but i'm really fascinated by this philosophy and i always thought it was practised by people who really care about the universe of things, willing to make a careful analysis about themselves in order to have a better world. as i'm not buddhist i'm aware that there are many things i don't understand, and my will is to be the more respectful as i can. my request was so specific because i wanted to impress on my skin a prayer for my beloved family, and as i consider buddhism the most respectful, coherent, silent and beautiful teachings that the mankind could receive from an enlighted entity such as Buddha, that's why I've come here to ask you your help.
    I don't understand some of your posts...d'you mean that using a mantra I could face its opposite effect?
    thanks you all
  • edited April 2010
    I don't understand some of your posts...d'you mean that using a mantra I could face its opposite effect?
    thanks you all
    Which posts in particular?
  • edited April 2010
    patbb wrote: »
    You and all members of your family will live dramatic situations and die. There is no protection from this.

no? :)

this one and the previous...
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Pollon2020,

I really feel that from your point of view, Jinzang's post is both well stated and directly meaningful. Don't worry too much about the confusion that follows the other ones.
    jinzang wrote: »
    There are no restrictions on the recitation of Chenrezig's mantra, OM MANI PADME HUM and its recitation has many benefits. You shouldn't think seeking temporary benefits for your friends and family is un-Buddhist. We all eat when we're hungry, put on coats when we're cold, take medicine when we're sick. It's the same thing.

With warmth,

Matt
  • edited April 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    Pollon2020,

I really feel that from your point of view, Jinzang's post is both well stated and directly meaningful. Don't worry too much about the confusion that follows the other ones.

With warmth,

Matt

aww thank you...My decision is to have my tattoo with a Om Mani Padme Hum script for my parents, and all the people i love...I think this is a start for me, to be more conscious about what is in my heart. I'm sure this will make me feel better, and above all, won't offend anyone
  • edited April 2010
    this one and the previous...
    I dont think you have to worry about those posts.
    Jinzang's post has what you need.
  • edited April 2010
    thank you very much...sometimes the answer you might need is the most obvious, and the most simple.
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited April 2010
    This is inaccurate. There are methods that are available in certain traditions for improving ones conditions. The objective is of course to make the conditions more conducive to practice and realization.

I am not sure what you mean shenpen nangwa. I didn't realize there were methods to prevent disease from Buddhism and the kids of protection that was referred to. I'm no expert.
  • edited April 2010
    hi! just last help to an annoying friend....i got these from the web, and i really loved the tara mantra too. are they written correctly?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c1/Om_Mani_Padme_Hum_mantra.svg/525px-Om_Mani_Padme_Hum_mantra.svg.png

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3286/2402180517_62d62f52ae.jpg?v=0

thanks
  • ManiMani Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hi Delia,
    Usually in order for these mantra's to be useful you will transmission of them from a qualified teacher. Most mantra's fall into the class of tantra. Tantra means continuity, that continuity is why it is important to get transmission.

Very good advice, Shenpen. I would also go further to say that even mantra's such as that of Avalokiteshvara or Tara are much more effective if one is able to get the transmission from a qualified teacher. As Shenpen pointed out, these two mantra's are good to begin with. "Om Mani Padme Hum" is actually a pretty powerful and profound mantra, but once again receiving a transmission is much better.

I would also usually suggest avoiding using other mantra's which have not been specifically suggested by a teacher, especially those which do require transmission or empowerment (The two mentioned by Shenpen and Jinzang have no such requirements). Without transmission, they can be useless at best, and could even create obstacle's. Another reason why Tantra is also called "secret mantra", and why teachers will give different one's to different people based on their own dispositions.
  • edited April 2010
    Are there prayers for protection and safety or good health? Do the mantras count as prayers?
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited April 2010

OM BENZA PANI HUM
    or

thanks in advance

My sister says her (Tibetan tulku) teacher told her these were for getting rid of negative spirits and influences.

I prefer the Medicine Buddha puja. Good for sickness of body, mind, and spirit ... ours or anothers. For good death, good life. For dispelling our ignorance. Also has the benefit of enhancing our compassion for others if done in that spirit.