Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Did Jesus know buddhism?

edited May 2010 in Buddhism Basics
i have recently read info that jesus was taken to india as a kid and learned buddhism , they say the '3 wise men' were buddhist who have been known to seek out the incarnations of previous great buddhists [ a modern ex. is the dali llama ] and it is said they took him to india and taught him the way of buddhism and after his 'death' jesus returned there and he is burried there , there is even a tomb in an indian city where a jew with crucifixion scars who lived in the time of jesus is burried , i think it explains the many similaritys in buddha and jesus's teachings [which were unheard of in the west]

i found this info to be breath taking and am interested in what people think

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Wise men think alike. That doesn't mean they all went yo nursery school together. The truth is everywhere to be found. It isn't an invention despite recent criticisms. Even I have found my own wise sayings stolen from me by those rude ancient pirate sages thousands of years before I thought of them. Can't trust anyone.
  • edited April 2010
    that is true , there are wise men in every culture they could have been from anywhere

im just wondering what you and others think of this piticular theroy
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    my personal view is it is highly likely jesus knew buddhism

wisdom is something that has evolved

in the buddha's time, the liberation of mind via loving-kindness was well known

the buddha discovered something else

the buddha's claim to fame was not the teachings on love (although he perfected them)

the buddha discovered emptiness

jesus did not teach emptiness

in israel, the law of love was not known until jesus

the old testament has many 'wise men' but none taught the liberation of mind via loving-kindness

it is natural, jesus learned this in india

by the time of jesus, buddhism had flourished greatly in the world

jesus changed the focus from judaism a religion for society to a doctrine of personal liberation

this is why he gave many teachings about the mind

:smilec:
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2010
    edited April 2010
    i would disagree with Dhammika

he states:
    If Jesus knew the Dhamma you would expect there to be some reference to Buddhism's most characteristic teachings - the Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path, etc. Instead, we have a few vaguely similar similes, sayings and parables, most of which are found in other religious traditions too and which could have been borrowed from a common source.
    not necessarily because although Jesus would have been exposed to Buddhism, it does not mean he would have chosen to teach its supramundane teachings

even the buddha did not teach supramundane teachings (such as the 4NTs) to ordinary people

jesus simply chose those aspects suitable for his purpose

his teachings on non-violent resistance only have their pier (during that period in history) in buddhism

his use of the words 'heaven', 'hell', 'fire', etc, are the same as the buddha

his emphasis upon 'not knowing' (avicca) in his forgiveness teachings is the same as buddha

jesus emphasised the 'holy spirit' (the holy breath) as supreme

jesus said one can blasphem against the father & son but not against the 'spirit'

this takes spirituality internally rather than externally

after jesus, alot of christian meditation and monasticism arose

but yes...jesus was not interested in nature but god...

to me, his teachings are more like buddhist influenced brahminism

:)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited April 2010
    There were certainly Buddhists in Alexandria and the land route lies through the Galilee, which was very Hellenised at the turn of the era.

The Jesus texts certainly show Greek philosophical influence as well as Judaic and the link with Egypt is there in the stories so that there would be no surprise if he had encountered other schools and theories.

@DD: Despite the fact that you have a pretty thorough knowledge of the Hebrew and Christian writings, I cannot agree with what you say about the "law of love". Its most pithy expression ("Love the Lord your God and your neighbour as yourself") is a direct quotation from Deuteronomy, the compilation of which precedes even the Buddha's time. Of all the books of the Tanakh, it is the one which is best known, even today, and learned by every Jewish child.
    edited April 2010
    Its most pithy expression ("Love the Lord your God and your neighbour as yourself") is a direct quotation from Deuteronomy...
    Dear Simon

In my view, I must disagree here.

The phrase, actually from Leviticus, is merely a teaching about how to treat aliens in Israel.

To me, it is not a salient spiritual teaching.

Also, it does not carry thoughout most of the OT.

Kind regards

When an alien lives with you in your land, do not mistreat him.The alien living with you must be treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19.33
  • edited April 2010
    my personal view is it is highly likely jesus knew buddhism

wisdom is something that has evolved

in the buddha's time, the liberation of mind via loving-kindness was well known

the buddha discovered something else

the buddha's claim to fame was not the teachings on love (although he perfected them)

the buddha discovered emptiness

jesus did not teach emptiness

the old testament has many 'wise men' but none taught the liberation of mind via loving-kindness

it is natural, jesus learned this in india

by the time of jesus, buddhism had flourished greatly in the world

jesus changed the focus from judaism a religion for society to a doctrine of personal liberation

this is why he gave many teachings about the mind

:smilec:

The problem with the OT and NT is that they were "edited" by men. The Council of Trent and all of the others only chose 66 books for the Protestant Bible...I wonder how many books didn't fit their mold and were cast aside. How many perhaps taught other views, i.e. Buddhist teachings?
    edited April 2010
    patomin wrote: »
    The problem with the OT and NT is that they were "edited" by men. The Council of Trent and all of the others only chose 66 books for the Protestant Bible...I wonder how many books didn't fit their mold and were cast aside. How many perhaps taught other views, i.e. Buddhist teachings?

And the Buddhist scriptures were not edited by men? Are we to imagine that they are similar to Joseph Smith's 'golden plates', handed down by angels?

The books of the Tanakh were agree long before Nicaea (not Trent, which comes much later) and you will know that different schools of Buddhism accept - and reject - different sets of texts and translations. This is the nature and problem of all belief systems which use non-contemporaneous texts composed after a period of oral transmission.

Our US friends may well have had to learn the Gettysburg Address at school and been led to believe that it is as spoken, whereas we now know that it was 'tidied up' for publication. Just another example of a text that has been edited.
  • edited April 2010
    This excerpt comes straight from an authoritative source on religion and its hidden origins.

"Early Christian records are known to exist in Tibet, and the monks of a Buddhist monastery in Ceylon still preserve a record which indicates that Jesus sojourned with them and became conversant with their philosophy.

Although early Christianity shows every evidence of Oriental influence, this is a subject the modern church declines to discuss. If it is ever established beyond question that Jesus was an initiate of the pagan Greek or Asiatic Mysteries, the effect upon the more conservative members of the Christian faith is likely to be cataclysmic."

-- Manly P. Hall (Founder of the Philosophical Research Society, 33rd Degree Freemason)

[1] The Secret Teachings of All Ages, pg. 582; Manly P. Hall

• thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited April 2010
    The book Jesus in India and the videos linked to above put a pretty comprehensive account, and there is an excellent BBC 4 documentary too called "Did Jesus Die on the Cross."
  • edited April 2010
    Hello;; There is a book called *JESUS* Last Of The Pharaohs by Ralph Ellis* Which is a different approach to the subject That does allow for the thought, that Jesus was educated and very well read. Ive also heard the theory that he may have traveled to distant lands to learn. I believe its very possible, but im not for certain what thought he was mainly educated in.
    edited April 2010
    Dear Simon

In my view, I must disagree here.

The phrase, actually from Leviticus, is merely a teaching about how to treat aliens in Israel.

To me, it is not a salient spiritual teaching.

Also, it does not carry thoughout most of the OT.

Kind regards

Thynk you for the correction, DD. Please excuse an old man whose memory continues to deteriorate. I recall looking it up many years ago after a talk by an Oxford theologian on the text about "denying self". He was challenged by one questioner with the "love your neighbour as yourself" text and replied: "I'm sorry. I can't help you with an OT text. I am a simple NT scholar" (Canon John Fenton) It struck me then that there was a creative dissonance between what I understand to be the authentic Jesus message, which approaches the non-self concept, and his new spin on the Leviticus text.

Thank you, also, for the words "to me". Our conversations are certainly facilitated by our taking responsibility for our own beliefs and, thereby, acknowledging the possibility of change, rather than asserting some sort of absolute truth/error dialectic. I freely admit that my understanding of 'salvation history' as capable of dynamic and unfolding interpretation is heterodox. My hermeneutic is based on the concept of universal liberation and the possibility of metanoia, as, according to Paul, we are all reconciled. I am continually grateful that I was not born in Spain under the Inquisition LOL/
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Much like Buddhism, the heart of his teachings along with Buddha's teachings have been muddled down and misinterpreted over the ages. Just as Drop said 'the truth is everywhere to be found'.. it's accessible to everybody right now. Jesus may not have known the way Buddha taught others how to essentially see clearly, so he formed his own ways and discourses.

Jesus said he was the son of god; as are we all if things are seen as they are. But unfortunately people used conditioned 'knowledge' and interpreted what he said literally which lead massive delusion. All religions really if interpreted clearly are pointers towards a simple truth; just more eightfold paths.. :)
  • edited April 2010
    This may be thread-jacking or the start of a religious debate however this is not my intention at all.
    I just really wish people could see clearly that all religions (well the main stream ones) lead back to the same basic message if interpreted correctly.....self....

Perfect example of how I get annoyed with religious discussions...

Talking to a christian and he was going on about how he speaks with God and God has spoken to him etc.etc..and was talking about the rapture.
    So I asked...what about the Jewish and the Muslims, etc....what about them?

His reply..."It's easy...they all have it wrong....they will pay in the end"

Now tell me....how can someone answer a question like that KNOWING the history of these religions?? Hundreds and hundreds of years...he is telling me "they" have it wrong?

Anyways..sorry for the jump in...religion tends to be a sore spot for me and I do not get to vent about it that often.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2010
    This may be thread-jacking or the start of a religious debate however this is not my intention at all.
    I just really wish people could see clearly that all religions (well the main stream ones) lead back to the same basic message if interpreted correctly.....self....

I have a hard time seeing this. It seems to me that, while there are some similarities, they are quite different and have very different aims. I think Stephen Prothero illustrates this well in his new book, God Is Not One.
  • edited April 2010

I disagree there. The Abrahamic religions certainly have a competely different philosophy than the Eastern religions. Abrahamic religions are concerned about who you accept as a Savior, if you accept the resurrection, who you accept as a prophet, which Gods you do and don't worship, etc. And if you aren't in line with any of that, you get sent to Hell (except Judaism)

However, I think the true underlying teachings such as Gnostic Christianity, Sufi Islam, and Qabbalah Judaism, have much more sound teachings, and closer to the true and original teachings before being tampered with.

But even still, the philosophies are still different, that should be clear.
  • edited April 2010

I think I might disagree with that, in Judaism, it's said the world stands on 3 blocks - study, acts of loving kindness and worship of God, and also Rabbi Hillel was/is a famous Sage/Rabbi, who said to a gentile who asked to convert to Judaism, if Hillel would teach him the Torah:
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. That is the whole Torah; the rest is commentary. Go and study it

So, I think the law of love, kindness and compassion was known to the ancient Jews.

Personally, I like the idea that maybe Jesus trained with Buddhists, and, I've heard there were Buddhists in Alexandria, Egypt, but, then, I also think Jesus may have trained with the Essenes, a mystical Jewish group.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited April 2010
    One thing very few people in the west take into account (particularly those who believe the Bible represents the actual, word-for-word, spoken word of God) is that the original texts were written, for the most part, in languages that cannot simply be "translated" into Latin, Greek, German, or English. They are first transliterated, which, depending on who is doing the transliteration, can come across with VASTLY different meanings. From the originals transliterated into ancient Greek or other languages, then translated from there into Latin, and from there into the various other languages we have today, errors and differences of opinion on meaning have crept in. If I pick up my copy of the King James Bible in English, what I'm reading may or may not have the slightest similarity to the actual original texts. That's why I chuckle at the Christians who claim the Bible is the literal word of God. Not quite.

Mtns
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    This excerpt comes straight from an authoritative source on religion and its hidden origins. -- Manly P. Hall

Sorry, but even though Manly Hall was a nice guy, like most theosophists fidelity to the historical records was not one of his strong points. There was no Buddhism in Tibet while Jesus was alive. It was introduced centuries later. He could not have met with Tibetan teachers or had his visits recorded in Tibetan texts.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I once read a similar article. Quite possible that he knew Buddhism
  • edited April 2010
    the buddha winds traveled in every direction. the silk road and alexander's dominations had china all the way to greece in a sphere of influence cultural ecology. jesus smoked buddha and he is either a younger brother or a younger son to the buddha, so even if he didn't know him one way he knew him very well in his heart. the amount of chatter spread through the network of minds in all the lands spread into the west quite saliently but very discreetly like a crocodile in a basement cellar. the true question is what waters of it did the nile drink!
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited April 2010
    If Jesus interests you as a historical figure, I heartily recommend to all of you, a book entitled "The Passover Plot" by Dr. Hugh J. Schonfield. The best in depth analysis of the life of Jesus, what he knew, how he came to know it, what beliefs he held and why, who he thought he was, his place in the times he lived in, and how he may have engineered the whole Messiah thing, including his death and resurrection, in order to bring about the prophesy as it had been foretold. Amazon has used copies of this book for as little as 1 cent. It's an old book (60s), but still a great read. I read it in the 60s, and I'm re-reading it now.
    edited April 2010
    LesC wrote: »
    If Jesus interests you as a historical figure, I heartily recommend to all of you, a book entitled "The Passover Plot" by Dr. Hugh J. Schonfield. The best in depth analysis of the life of Jesus, what he knew, how he came to know it, what beliefs he held and why, who he thought he was, his place in the times he lived in, and how he may have engineered the whole Messiah thing, including his death and resurrection, in order to bring about the prophesy as it had been foretold. Amazon has used copies of this book for as little as 1 cent. It's an old book (60s), but still a great read. I read it in the 60s, and I'm re-reading it now.

How good to be reminded of a book that meant so much too me when it came out. Do you know Schonfield's translation of the N.T.? It was acclaimed as superb and ground-breaking when it came out in 1958 but The Passover Plot (1965) upset a lot of people. I could never understand the problem but then I've always had a 'detached' approach to the "Is Scripture.history?" debate.

Do you know Vermes work Jesus The Jew?
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    edited April 2010
    you would like the movie "The Man From Earth".
    Sci-Fi where a man, from the Upper Paleolithic survived until the present day.
    "i knew a man called buddha, like what he say, later try to teach a little about it in the roman empire..." good story
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited May 2010
    @ Simon - No, I've not read those, but based on his writing style I'm sure I would love them.

@ newtech - Yes, I have that. A fascinating film, but I'm sure only to certain few. I found it wonderful.
  • edited May 2010
    LesC wrote: »
    Maybe Moses faked the whole thing. Maybe the Jews faked the whole thing. Maybe Gautama faked the whole thing. Maybe Caesar faked the whole thing. Maybe Gandhi faked the whole thing. Maybe Kennedy faked the whole thing.

Then again maybe the spirit of Nietzsche, who professed the virtue in lying, is still faking the whole thing.
  • edited May 2010
    That Jesus, whose given name was Yeshua, disappeared from history for most of his early life is all that we know. It is theoretical, i.e. speculation, that he traveled throughout Asia and would have come to know Buddhism.

That being said, it at least makes sense. Take one very compassionate man who thought his religion was harsh, his God wrathful, and let him see other religions of the world and come up with his own solution to create a more compassionate and just future for his people. I'd go with that, but it would still just be my belief. ;)

You could also look at it another way. They say Jesus was the son of God, but more than that was God himself; a part of the Trinity. If you believe in literal rebirth, perhaps Jesus was a deva known as Yahweh/Jehovah, who was reborn in human form, only to be reborn yet again who knows where. This would leave room for, and expectation of, a "second coming" in human form sometime in the future from his death. Jesus may in fact be born again, find Buddhism and turn out to be Maitreya; bringing the power of both Christianity's influence and Buddhism's truths to the entire world. Again still speculation, depending on you and your beliefs. Interesting ideas though.

If based on my understanding of the universe you would ask me who Jesus was, I would only be able to say that he was a saint that spoke more to the true nature of mankind than the religion he was raised in. His was extremely powerful karma, influencing billions since his time; that can't be denied. We can only ask whether it was skillful or unskillful karma, and to this I would say it was mostly skillful.
  • edited May 2010
    This excerpt comes straight from an authoritative source on religion and its hidden origins.

"Early Christian records are known to exist in Tibet, and the monks of a Buddhist monastery in Ceylon still preserve a record which indicates that Jesus sojourned with them and became conversant with their philosophy.

Although early Christianity shows every evidence of Oriental influence, this is a subject the modern church declines to discuss. If it is ever established beyond question that Jesus was an initiate of the pagan Greek or Asiatic Mysteries, the effect upon the more conservative members of the Christian faith is likely to be cataclysmic."

-- Manly P. Hall (Founder of the Philosophical Research Society, 33rd Degree Freemason)

[1] The Secret Teachings of All Ages, pg. 582; Manly P. Hall

Respectfully, Manly P. Hall was a kook.
  • Documentary: Jesus in India

http://www.movies-links.tv/movies/jesus_in_india/

Warmly,

In the Dhamma,

Matthew