Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Use of Jhanas.. rejected?

shanyinshanyin Novice YoginSault Ontario Veteran
edited April 2010 in Meditation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY77In3ZYGI&feature=related

"The Buddha did not teach One-Pointed Concentration meditation. He actually learned all of the absorption Jhanas and then REJECTED them as not effective in removing Craving."

I have read the exact opposite in my time.

Comments

• shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited April 2010
    hmm i wish i knew how to delete my thread, i was going to put up another and didnt want to start 2
  • edited April 2010
    My understanding is that the Jhanas in and of themselves are not enough to end craving permanently. They remove it for a short duration, but ultimately it will return. The intense concentration of the Jhanas can be used and directed for the use of insight meditation, however. I have heard that you can reach enlightenment without the Jhanas, but that learning to achieve them makes insight meditation more effective.

I've heard from Reverend Kusala that the Buddha used insight meditation to reach enlightenment, but stopped after that, since there was no purpose to it. He did, however, continue one pointed meditation until his death, and actually died in the fourth Jhana.
    edited April 2010
    Thank you. Yes.. I am remembering what one monk told me was that the Buddha described it like putting a rock on a bunch of weeds... it will make them stop growing but it does not root them out.
  • edited April 2010
    I really like that analogy.
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I like Bhante Vimalarami's video on breathing meditation. It reminds me of Thich Nhat Hanh's teaching.
    edited April 2010
    Nios wrote: »
    I like Bhante Vimalarami's video on breathing meditation. It reminds me of Thich Nhat Hanh's teaching.

Yeah, there's a couple more on there. Something tells me it works.

The only thing is I don't understand how to do it. He says... just understand when the breathe is long or short... and relax when you get distracted then bring your mind back to the object of meditation. But it's weird because when you're doing that it doesn't even really seem like an object.

Does anyone use his or what he would call the Buddha's real method?
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Well, I can't speak for Bhante Vimalarami's teaching, but when I was learning meditation as TNH taught it we were told to "note" the breath. "in" "out" or "deep" "slow" etc. And when the mind wonders, just go back to it. No judging, no anger, no thinking, just "in" "out". It was a great way of letting go.

Nios.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Bhante has spoken very well about relaxing in terms of letting go of craving

what he is emphasising here is very important, the letting go of craving & releasing the strain in the head

although theoretically he has spoken inaccurately regarding what the buddha said about anapanasati, Bhante has skilfully & correctly integrated the four noble truths with anapanasati

a very nice talk

best wishes

:)