Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

buddhist wedding ceremony

edited February 2005 in Buddhism Basics
Hi i am new here and before i go any further i would just like to say that at this point in time i am of no religion. i was brought up salvation army, then my mother changed to seventh day adventist and you can imagine my shock at the changes, so needless to say i am kinda shy of any type of religion.

that being said, my partner is a buddhist and we plan to get married late next year. i was wondering if there are people in australia that perform buddhist ceremonies and if it will matter that i am not a buddhist. my partner has his heart set on this and i would hate for him to be disapointed

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited November 2004
    Welcome to the site :)

First, congratulations on your upcoming marriage. That's beautiful.

I can say that there is a huge and thriving buddhist community in australia, so I am absolutely sure that you will have no problem finding someone to perform a ceremony, unless you live in a very rural area. It will not matter to the monks that you are not a buddhist. As you get to know us better, you will find that we are some of the most nonchalant "religious" people out there :)

Buddhism being an individual path, it is not in any part of our practice to worry about what other people are or are not. Every person's choice is their own, and we do not preach to, seek to convert, or question anybody.

I would love to see some pictures of the ceremony if you ever feel up to it :D
  • edited November 2004
    thank you for ur congrats and thank you for letting me know that it wont matter if i choose to stay as i am in my religious beliefs (or lack of)

i will be sure to post some pics as soon as is humanly possible, but it most likely wont be till august next year.

I'm sure that as soon as my partner finds out about this site, he will coming to see what its all about. he is the most perfect person i know and i am so happy that he has asked me to be his wife.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited February 2005
    Angel - happy new year :)

Did your partner ever sign up to the site?