Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The challenge of finding a Sangha!

edited May 2010 in Sanghas
This is all very sad for me. In seeking a Sangha in my area, I had hoped to find guidance and support within reach.

I'm currently attending a local Shambhala meditation center and while there is nothing inherently wrong with it, I find it to be a bit disorganized and no emphasis on the teachings of the Buddha. It is more about the practical use of Meditation, and following the Shambhala path etc...

It's all good but I want to go deeper than that, and learn about Buddha's teachings and seek refuge etc.

So while I'm still attending the Shambahala center, I decided to do more research but the only other "Buddhist organization" that I found in my area so far was the local NKT center.

Well at first it looked intersting etc. but then after reading the threads here, and following several of the links a huge WARNING sign came up in my head.

Regardless of biases by the various articles etc, there must be a grain of truth in all this mess. So whether it's true dishonesty, or simply political controversy I cannot in all honesty seek any kind of instruction from this school. There is no way that I could even Partially entertain the thought of being associated with anything or anyone who would be remotely connected with a controversy that deals with the murder of any living thing, or any attempts against the HHDL.

It's sad that politics and the negative aspects of humanity always seem to be present even in the most altruistic pursuits. I have found politics to always rear it's ugly heat in everything I have pursued be it music, martial arts and now Buddhism.

So my challenge is to find an appropriate Sangha in my area so I can find the appropriate support and guidance for my pursuit. At this point I'm at a loss of how to go about doing that.

In the meantime, I will continue to attend the Shambhala center since while light on Buddhism, and a bit disorganized it is at least very open, and does not smell of controversy. I have also amassed my own library of study materials ranging from books on Buddha's teachings to videos & lectures by Robert Thurman and college level classes and keep studying and practicing on my own.

And of course being a member here gives me a lot of support in itself.

I had a similar problem finding a qualified Classical Guitar teacher, but eventually I met someone who I admire greatly and who is an excellent teacher.

I hope that eventually I will find a local group\temple\school where I can seek the guidance and refuge that I am seeking.

If anyone knows of resources for my needs in the Providence Rhode Island area please post the information or feel free to send me a PM.

As Always thank you for your support here, and for your advise.

Ivan

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Oh, well I guess I will answer my own thread.

Just when I was about to give up on finding local resources (Googling under Buddhism etc) I did one last search for Sangha Rhode Island and the first hit was of the Clear Heart Sangha which interested me right away as it follows the teachings of the great Thich Nhat Hanh.

I was lucky and fortunate enough to find the perfect Sangha for me at least. It's the Clear Heart Sangha run by a wonderful woman Joanne Friday who was taught by the Venerable Thich Nhat Hanh. Much like he would say, I truly felt that I arrived that I was home when I met up with a wonderful group of people about 25 in all for a memorable sitting that lasted about 2 hours. We did sitting meditation, walking meditation then a Dharma talk and Dharma sharing.

I feel very much at peace, and look forward to sharing, learning, and being an active member of this wonderful Sangha!
  • edited May 2010
    I'm pleased that you found a local sangha!

Namaste
  • edited May 2010
    Thanks! me too. Especially one that follows the teachings of the venerable and wonderful Thich Nhat Hanh! :)
  • Olarte wrote: »
    ....In the meantime, I will continue to attend the Shambhala center since while light on Buddhism, and a bit disorganized it is at least very open, and does not smell of controversy.....

Ivan,

They must have had a lot of incense burning. Shambhala has rarely been without controversy.

I'm glad you found a local Sangha that feels more at home for you.

Warmly,

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
  • edited May 2010
    for a memorable sitting that lasted about 2 hours. We did sitting meditation, walking meditation then a Dharma talk and Dharma sharing.
    Wow!! such a blissful and serenity Sangha.
  • edited May 2010
    Well it's funny, when I met the first member looking for the right building she simply smiled and said you have arrived, you are home... at first I found it a bit unsettling but by the end of the sitting, I truly felt those words did ring true. I felt like I had been a part of the Sangha for a long long time.

Aside from the fact that most of the members are about the same age as me (48), I really connected with their sincerity, and honesty emanating from everyone of them. It truly was wonderful and the Sangha teacher, Joanne Friday is truly a very very special person.

I'm a hard sell, yet I felt moved and touched by the genuine feeling of acceptance, knowledge that I felt form her in particular.

In fact, it turns out that there are some other related sangha's much closer to home and she teaches at them from time to time, but for me I prefer to drive the extra hour to her Sangha. Besides aside from Joanne, I established some connections with a few of the other members that very night, and can not see myself turning away from that.

I also will be attending a 5 day retreat at Bluecliff monastery in Upstate NY and am soooo looking forward to this experience!

As for the Shambhala controversy, I did bit of research afterwards and while it's not as bad as the NKT controversy, it did confirm my feeling that it just was not for me, not close enough to Buddhism, and to the Dharma. So I attended the last meditation class, brought some great food that I made for a pot luck celebration and did not bother mentioning that I will not be returning. There is nothing gained by my saying anything or being critical of them. It's best for me to fade away, and pursue may path with the teachings of the Venerable Thich Nhat Hanh!