Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Jhana lunatic

DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
edited May 2010 in Meditation
I was watching this video on You Tube.

The speaker states:
....if you read the discourses of the Buddha, you will find in DN-22 the Buddha defined the 8th fold of his Noble Eightfold Path specifically in terms of jhana. We have to thus conclude that any priest who claims jhana is "not the goal of Buddhism" does not know the Buddha dhamma.

:confused:

Comments

• edited May 2010
    I have been a little involved with this fellow, for a short period of time. I joined his Yahoo "group". His website is.... http://www.greatwesternvehicle.org/

It is pretty "far out". I finally quit the group because i thought it was to extreme in many regards. Unless you meditate 2 hours twice a day, and go through the levels of jhana, i guess there are eight, you can not know what the Buddha really taught, or perceive your past lives. Also there is a lot of people who have had "out of body" experiences which are normal when in "deep" meditation. Also loud sounds can be heard when you go really deep into the jhanas. I wouldn't know ...I am content with my mind and emotions being "almost" still or quiet or content.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I was watching this video on You Tube.

The speaker states:

:confused:

:lol: If someone told you that the Buddha pointed at a toilet, would you :confused:?
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Reading that conversation I got the image of cartoon warriors throwing "quote powers" at each other.

:ninja: "DN 22 fire ball *patooooo*"
    :viking: "MN 29 lazer shield *cchhwiiing*"

:lol:
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited May 2010
    If Jhana is synonymous with Samma-Samadhi that doesn't mean its the "goal" of the path. The fact that Samma-Samadhi is ON the path implies that it is not the goal. Samma-Samadhi is part of the Fourth Noble Truth not the Third Noble Truth.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2010

Suppression of Jhana by the "Sangha"

:)
  • edited May 2010
    He seems to be a little upset that he is not "loved" and "respected". :)