Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation Frustrations

edited May 2010 in Meditation
I'll start this off first stating that meditation HAS helped me slowly start changing the person I am, and the perception of what that person "is or isn't". Following Buddhism having a postiive effect on my life, and I still very much enjoy my time everyday that I spend meditating.

My frustration though is, and I don't know if this is normal, that it's been two months, and I haven't yet felt what a lot of people have reported feeling. I can:

1. Bring myself to a relaxed state....check.
2. Focus on my meditation object.....check.
3. Start having the reality of things around me fall away, or become clearer...check.

But for the most part, I feel lost still. I've never felt the extreme bliss others have felt. I know chasing sensory feelings defeats the purpose, but I can't help but try to compare my experiences with others. Maybe the problem is I haven't really relinquished control of anything, because that's the type of person I've been conditioned to be. Martial Arts and life in general has taught me to be in supreme control of myself physically and mentally, and to NOT lose control of either of those things. So I don't know how to give up control.

When I focus on my breathing, instead of just being WITH my breathing and observing, I instead find myself trying to consciously control it.

Mentally I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing. When I get relaxed, I start asking myself "who am i?" or circular questions like that. Or if there was a particularly troubling part of my day, I'll focus on that and live it out in my mind and try to practice compassion towards the other person, and understand their motivations, as well as seeing what I could have done differently.

Often times I feel depressed, sad or angry about something, I'll focus on that feeling intensly and imagine letting go of it.

But I feel lost like I don't know what I'm doing, and like I said I think my need to control things is hindering my progress. I have yet to feel even a taste of beginning stages of awareness, or extreme calm. I know it's been only 2 months, and it might be my western mind's need for everything now now now, but when I hear about other peoples experiences, I often wonder "why not me?" or "am I doing something wrong?"

any help is appreciated.

PS: physically I might also be hindered. I can't seem to be comfortable for too long.. Too long in Burmese, or Half Lotus (which is sadly only 15 minutes) and my legs start falling asleep. Now I can usually deaden myself to the pain, and not focus on it, but eventually, after a total of 20-25 minutes the sensation is too overwhelming, and I have to stop. Maybe that's part of my problem as well..not enough time to really dig in.

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Ren79 wrote: »
    I've never felt the extreme bliss others have felt. I know chasing sensory feelings defeats the purpose, but I can't help but try to compare my experiences with others.
    The best advice I know to give is not to meditate in order to feel extreme bliss. Don't make feelings your goal. Then don't worry what other people feel or do not feel. :)
    When I focus on my breathing, instead of just being WITH my breathing and observing, I instead find myself trying to consciously control it.
    When you find yourself doing this, don't worry about it, just stop controlling and start fresh. Do this as often as you need.

Same thing with thoughts, like events of the day. When you find yourself turning these over in your mind, stop thinking about them and put them aside.
    Too long in Burmese, or Half Lotus (which is sadly only 15 minutes) and my legs start falling asleep.
    Don't worry about this. With more practice, it will become less of a problem. You might just go with shorter periods for now, or do your longer periods in a different posture. :)

meditate.gif
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    PS: physically I might also be hindered. I can't seem to be comfortable for too long.. Too long in Burmese, or Half Lotus (which is sadly only 15 minutes) and my legs start falling asleep. Now I can usually deaden myself to the pain, and not focus on it, but eventually, after a total of 20-25 minutes the sensation is too overwhelming, and I have to stop.
    because you haven't made a decision to stay for a certain period of time.

So you torture yourself. You haven't let go of your need to control the situation and the pain. (if i get up, the pain will stop)

You have to settle with what is. for 30 minute or one hour, you will not control everything, you will only observe. Whatever arise, i will not interact with it, i will only observe it.

The pain in the leg is there, just observe it like you would observe a bird outside your window.
    Just let it be, and only observe.

(ps my legs fall asleep as well 10-15 minutes in every sittings.)
  • edited May 2010
    thanks guys, i appreciate the time.

So what you're saying is when the pain and pins and needles start in my leg to observe it as long as i can and then just stand up to alleviate it when i can't take it anymore, rather than consciously trying to ignore it, or focus on it? I always thought that when something arises like that that distracts y ou from your meditation object so much, that it was ok to instead make THAT your meditation object.

Or are you saying that if i've decided in my head to stay for a certain period of time, then it wouldn't be such an issue? Like if I said "I'm going to sit for 30 minutes" and not get up until then...it might be easier to just observe what I go through? sorry your meaning got lost in the way the words read back.

I thought through the analytical side of meditation i was SUPPOSED to analyze the moments in my life that I could have been better, or shown more compassion. Am i supposed to, instead, let it play out again as happened, only as an observer, with no analytical thought?

about the control of breathing ..i've felt times where i have been REALLY close to something..when i almost totally let go of control of my breathing, and was just able to sit and observe it h appening in my body without my control..and the few times that have happened, i felt the slightest brush against something great...but immediately lost it upon noticing the feeling.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    So what you're saying is when the pain and pins and needles start in my leg to observe it as long as i can and then just stand up to alleviate it when i can't take it anymore,
    nooooooooooooooo.

am i completely incapable of expressing myself??

just observe the pain, without reacting to it.
    and move back to your breath or to another body part depending on which mediation you do...
    Please re-read my previous post with this in mind.

there is no such thing as "i can't take it anymore".
    this mean that you are "enduring" the pain, you haven't let go of your desire to control it, and control your situation.

you must let go of this, and simply observe.
  • edited May 2010
    I thought through the analytical side of meditation i was SUPPOSED to analyze the moments in my life that I could have been better, or shown more compassion.
    What sort of meditation are you trying to do?

meditate.gif
  • edited May 2010
    about the pain practice yoga to get yourself more flexible..... your legs soon grow more and more accustomed to being in the lotus positions and hurt and fall asleep less.... watch a youtube video on doing zazen properly in case you haven't seen it all yet..... the point of buddhist practice is to let go of your self.... maybe you stop dwelling on things in meditation and learn to just be. i'm not a teacher so don't take my words as authoritative but maybe just sit down and don't really try to do anything... just sit and let your awareness lick things but don't force anything... abide in the natural flow, let your lungs breath freely.... I DUNNO LOL HOPE THAT HELPS GTHOUGH HAHAHA
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited May 2010
    My frustration though is, and I don't know if this is normal, that it's been two months, and I haven't yet felt what a lot of people have reported feeling.

If you base your own meditation practice on what others have felt or "report" feeling, then you are starting on the wrong foot. Forget about what you're "supposed" to feel.
    I can:

3. Start having the reality of things around me fall away, or become clearer...check.

What exactly IS your meditation object. There are many different kinds of meditation and you've said you focus on breath, but then you also say you switch the focus to whatever distracts you enough from the breath. I'm no zen master or Thic Nhat Hahn (SP?), but this just doesn't seem right.

Where did you learn how to meditate? Maybe you got a hold of wrong information as you began your practice.

I know chasing sensory feelings defeats the purpose, but I can't help but try to compare my experiences with others.

You KNOW it's not right to chase sensory feelings and compare to others, but yet you still do it? Try to let go of comparisons and ideals first and then your sitting practice might start changing positively without you even trying.

This is a particularly difficult thing to accomplish for me too. I always try to control the breath, even if it's in a slight way. It's hard to let go, isn't it?
    Mentally I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing.

This will depend on what kind of meditation you are practicing. But I'd say reflecting on the past and what you could have done better, is not a "technique" I'm familiar with and doesn't fit the concept of focusing on the present and being here, now.

If others here know what kind of meditation he is talking about, please enlighten me.
    I know it's been only 2 months, and it might be my western mind's need for everything now now now, but when I hear about other peoples experiences, I often wonder "why not me?" or "am I doing something wrong?"

You're right. It HAS only been two months. Nobody becomes a perfectly enlightened buddha in that time frame. Give it time, give your practice a chance to mature and don't feel like you're failing just cuz you haven't felt something others have described to you.
    Too long in Burmese, or Half Lotus (which is sadly only 15 minutes) and my legs start falling asleep. Now I can usually deaden myself to the pain, and not focus on it, but eventually, after a total of 20-25 minutes the sensation is too overwhelming, and I have to stop.

I have this problem too. After 20 minutes of sitting in Burmese, my left leg is DEAD. It takes the focus away from my meditation and I don't enjoy it, but it's a problem that can easily be solved by meditating on a chair instead.

pattb's suggestion of not reacting to the pain and just observing it, sounds like good advice in writing, but in a real life situation, considering most people can't tolerate pain too well and are used to run away from it, it might just not be "doable", so a chair might help you more after all.
    edited May 2010
    hesyxia wrote: »
    The best advice I know to give is not to meditate in order to feel extreme bliss. Don't make feelings your goal. Then don't worry what other people feel or do not feel.

This is good advice.
    Just stop controlling and start fresh. Do this as often as you need.

Same thing with thoughts, like events of the day. When you find yourself turning these over in your mind, stop thinking about them and put them aside.

I think focusing on "stopping" anything, is the wrong way to go. If thoughts arise, let them be, be aware of them and see them pass. Keep returning to here and now and your object of meditation.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited May 2010

One Zen Master said once "Proper practice has no checking" :-)
  • edited May 2010
    Well I guess it's time reevaluate and start from scratch again. My understanding from reading, and viewing a few of the famous dhammatube meditation videos (from the thai forest tradition monk) is that meditation is more than just sitting. You train your mental focus, and calm to better focus on the things you wish to analyze. That meditation is partially used for analyzing yourself, reality, and even lessons learned from text or teacher.
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Before I say anything, realize that this is the perspective of a rank amateur. I would say that it depends on the type of meditation you're doing. In the course of my limited meditation practice, the closest I've approached to 'bliss' is when I've been practicing metta bhavana (sp?). However, as I understand it, the goal of metta bhavana is not 'blissing out', but to increase compassion. Approaching it with the wrong motivation may backfire.
    As far as posture is concerned, I'm old and fat, so I simply sit on the edge of a chair, eyes closed, back straight, hands in my lap. Any other posture I find to be a distraction from my meditation. Some traditions are very particular about posture, others are less restrictive. If you feel it important to sit in a particular posture, I'd say do it until it becomes uncomfortable. Then either switch to a different posture, or take a break. You should be able to gradually increase the amount of time you spend in the desired posture.
    I seem to recall a story about the Buddha likening the correct mental state of meditation to tuning a stringed instrument. Set the string too tight, and it sounds wrong. Set the string too loosely, and it still sounds wrong. Set it just right, and you get beautiful music. It sounds like you might be trying to hard. Try relaxing a bit, and not being so focused on attaining a particular state of mind.
  • edited May 2010
    Martial Arts and life in general has taught me to be in supreme control of myself physically and mentally, and to NOT lose control of either of those things. So I don't know how to give up control.
    Should pay a visit to Shaolin temple in China where their martial art is physical fitness mainly for Chan meditation. I think you will enjoy the dialogue exchange on martial art and chan meditation together with them.
  • edited May 2010
    I am well aware of the Shaolin monks. I am not a new school martial artists, I've been trained traditionally in a handful of styles. But in essence the two disciplines of martial arts and meditation are strongly conflicting. meditation = letting go of control. martial arts = controlling everything...breath, movements, power.

I don't think broad general statements like that really help the argument. What's could my response possibly be to that? SURE! let me just pull 5,000.00 out of my behind to go to China to talk to a monk. I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound rude, but that contributes nothing.
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited May 2010
    The main thing I would focus on in your situation is the need to let go of control, just like you say. I can see you trying to control your form during meditation, your thoughts during meditation, and the outcome of your meditation.
    Try being less rigid in other parts of your life. This is something I've been struggling with, as I'd done a great job and put GREAT effort into developing and maintaining a very structured environment and schedule. While it was important for me to develop that at one point in my life, my life is now calling for me to be more flexible. If I miss a day of meditation, I don't get angry with myself, because this does nothing but further frustrate me. Have compassion with yourself and with your practice.
    Also, I frequently meditate just laying down with my arms relaxed beside my body.
    Try to make meditation work for you - don't try to make yourself work with others' guidelines and rules regarding meditation. Once you find a great system just for you (it may be something no one else has ever considered!) and really tune yourself to that, you'll get great benefits - they might not be the benefits that you are expecting or hoping for, but they will be the best benefits for you in your life right where you are at this time.
    After that, then try someone else's rules.
  • edited May 2010
    I think focusing on "stopping" anything, is the wrong way to go.
    I think you misunderstand me. By "stop" I mean "stop"; I do not mean "thinking about stopping" or "focusing on stopping."

If you looked down and noticed that your arms are tugging on a rope, stopping would simply mean not pulling on or even letting go of the rope. It requires no additional focus, effort, or thought. Stop tugging on the rope and return to meditating.
    edited May 2010
    hesyxia wrote: »
    If you looked down and noticed that your arms are tugging on a rope, stopping would simply mean not pulling on or even letting go of the rope. It requires no additional focus, effort, or thought. Stop tugging on the rope and return to meditating.

That's a good example. I was assuming that by "stopping" you also meant to KEEP thoughts at bay from that point ahead and stopping them before they rise, which would definitely take away from the main focus, but I see now that you didn't mean it like that.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Don't think that you are having the wrong experience. Nothing will happen that will validate your ego and make you feel like you accomplished something. If it does then it will pass (end) and then you will have to let it go or else you experience suffering.

I presume you have a meditation instruction and its very simple. Just follow it. If you are trying to do something with your meditation....STOP. Just let it be as it is.

Part of meditation is being honest and sitting with confusion or difficulties. Without that quality no progress can be made.

I have been meditating almost every day since 2002 and nothing special has happened though it does feel nice sometimes. I mean no peak experience. It is special that I have trust in my mind as it is I guess. And that I know that thinking and moods color our experience. Humbling rather than exalting, believe you me.
  • edited May 2010
    :)
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited May 2010

But for the most part, I feel lost still. I've never felt the extreme bliss others have felt. I know chasing sensory feelings defeats the purpose, but I can't help but try to compare my experiences with others. Maybe the problem is I haven't really relinquished control of anything"

When I first started practicing, strting in 1998, my main issue I think were expectations. I tried meditation 3-4 main times since 1998. I kept trying it as I felt there was something inately good in it. I think I kept failing, if one can fail at meditation, as i was expecting an outcome. It was only since last year that i said to myself I am going to just sit, come what may or may not. I just let it go. It has been a world of difference. No expectations of bliss or otherworldly experiences, just sitting and watching my breath. I have had some wonderful feelings with meditation and its a trap I tried to avoid, because it's another expectation. So instead of focusing in on my breathing i begin to look for this good feeling. I do my best not to. These feelings can be overwhelmingly positive, but if I look for it I won't find it and it's not the goal anyhow.

"When I focus on my breathing, instead of just being WITH my breathing and observing, I instead find myself trying to consciously control it."

Settle down, get as comfortable as you can and watch your breathing through your nose, go in through your nose, go out through your nose. don't force it, don't control it just breath naturally. I know when i first starting meditating I tried to control my breath also it always took me a good 15 minutes to settle. In fact most meditation I do is for an hour as it still takes me that much time to let my mind and body settle.

"Mentally I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing. When I get relaxed, I start asking myself "who am i?" or circular questions like that. Or if there was a particularly troubling part of my day, I'll focus on that and live it out in my mind and try to practice compassion towards the other person, and understand their motivations, as well as seeing what I could have done differently".

"Often times I feel depressed, sad or angry about something, I'll focus on that feeling intensly and imagine letting go of it."

Your supposed to be watching your breath, nothing else. For me if a thought comes up during meditation, I note is as "thinking" or "planning" or as of late I recognize it as one of the five aggregates and say "not mine" I disassociate from the thought and let it go away. I have to do this alot. If I have say a problem with someone I tend not to use my formal meditation to work on the problem. I will make a conscious choice and say now I will sit and go over this issue, but not as formal meditation per se. In thinking over issues I do it for a short time, ask what conditioned the problem or my anger and it is often very easily settled as it usually comes back to self and one's expectations. With this I get some distance to objectively view the problem; what conditioned this problem, the 6 senses conditions feelings, feelings condition cravings, cravings condition clinging, clinging conditions being. You can see where afflictive emotions arise and stop it at any place here. See Phagguna Sutta
    From a persoanl perspective focusing in on depressin only reinforces depression. The way through depression is to be mindful in your daily life. Regarding minfulness practice: Satipatthana Sutta: The Foundations of Mindfulness and Bahiya Sutta Asking who you are is a pointless practice in my opinion. It will hang you on trying to define self, which the Buddha did not do he only pointed to what is not self. I got caught up in this for a time, believe me it will only hinder your practice. Do what the Buddha suggests, see the Phagguna Sutta as well as Na Tumhaka Sutta: Not Yours and the Anatta-lakkhana Sutta: The Discourse on the Not-self Characteristic
    These Suttas were originally pointed out to me by Dhamma Dhatu and have been of considerable help to me.

"But I feel lost like I don't know what I'm doing, and like I said I think my need to control things is hindering my progress. I have yet to feel even a taste of beginning stages of awareness, or extreme calm. I know it's been only 2 months, and it might be my western mind's need for everything now now now, but when I hear about other peoples experiences, I often wonder "why not me?" or "am I doing something wrong?"

In my practice I have found that as I have increasingly comingled my meditation with the bases of Buddhism, Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold path, the Three Seals of Existence, this has deeped my meditation practice, my grounding in Buddhism and why I practice. You can meditate on any of these things in addition to the meditation on your breath. Currently I have been meditating on the five aggregates and how the are not self. Take all of this slowly. You are slowly making and polishing a refined thing, this takes time and remember it is a PRACTICE. It's always a practice, its never a perfection.

"PS: physically I might also be hindered. I can't seem to be comfortable for too long.. Too long in Burmese, or Half Lotus (which is sadly only 15 minutes) and my legs start falling asleep. Now I can usually deaden myself to the pain, and not focus on it, but eventually, after a total of 20-25 minutes the sensation is too overwhelming, and I have to stop. Maybe that's part of my problem as well..not enough time to really dig in.
    "

If you have to just sit crossed leg native American style then do it. No need to sit in any particular way, if this is going to hinder you. My feet and legs fall asleep all the time, I just don't regard them. I hope some of this helps:)
    Yours in the Dharma,
    Todd
  • ListenListen New
    edited May 2010
    Well I guess it's time reevaluate and start from scratch again. My understanding from reading, and viewing a few of the famous dhammatube meditation videos (from the thai forest tradition monk) is that meditation is more than just sitting. You train your mental focus, and calm to better focus on the things you wish to analyze.

Here's a quote I liked from another thread:
    FoibleFull wrote: »
    This is how out teacher, a Tibetan and a monk from age 12 in the Dalai Lama's monastery teaches us:
    -You are trying to master the first stage of meditation. Your goal is to focus single-mindedly on your breathing. Let all thoughts and physical/outer awareness run off you like water off a shower curtain.
    - Visualize breath in-out, feel it in-out, count "1" for the first breath, "2" for the second.
    - Whenever ANYTHING else comes into your consciousness, start counting over again from "1". You will be counting "1 ... 1 ... 1 ... for months."
    - You will become frustrated and exasperated ... this is EXCELLENT practice for NOT latching onto emotions.
    - When, someday, you can count up to "21" with absolutely no loss of total focus (no thoughts coming in, no awareness of the outside world or your own body's distractions) ... then, and only then, are you ready for analytical meditation.

I know nothing about nothing, but I suspect this is good advice for you. I do not think you should think of analyzing situations as part of your meditation practice since you are (by your own admission and questions) having trouble with the very basics.

For me, I have felt that the insights about my life have come from meditation precisely because I was practicing being in the now instead of analyzing the past or future. If you become aware that you have been analyzing some situation or thinking about some past situation or imagining some future situation, then congratulations: You have become aware and you can let those thoughts slip away. They are not what are needed at that moment.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Listen wrote: »
    Here's a quote I liked from another thread:

I know nothing about nothing, but I suspect this is good advice for you. I do not think you should think of analyzing situations as part of your meditation practice since you are (by your own admission and questions) having trouble with the very basics.

For me, I have felt that the insights about my life have come from meditation precisely because I was practicing being in the now instead of analyzing the past or future. If you become aware that you have been analyzing some situation or thinking about some past situation or imagining some future situation, then congratulations: You have become aware and you can let those thoughts slip away. They are not what are needed at that moment.
    good post.
    i agree.
  • edited May 2010
    Thank you everyone.

Todd, i found the most help in your post. Thank you so much. I think I've found the problem, with your help, in that I am trying to combine too much into my meditation sessions...when I should be breaking things up. My formal meditation should just be only about sitting still and just being. If I have an issue I need to work out, or an instance where I was not the best version of myself, then I should meditate on that separately, and analyze that using some skills from meditation...but not mix the two.

My problem, as I have stated in an earlier post maybe a couple months ago, is that I come from a martial arts background. Meditation in martial arts now (and it's the same even in Shaolin now, as its a shadow of it's former religious roots) is usually just taking you to that mental stillness, and then meditating with the goal of improving your martial arts, by focusing on the focus of energy and how to use it. Sure you still aim for that mental stillness, but usually its not for the purpose of enlightenment, its for the purpose of bettering your martial arts. As I mentioned in my earlier thread, I have meditated for lots of years, but as a martial artist. I can take myself to that place of mental stillness easily, but as a new Buddhist, it's the step after that that constantly confuses me.

And I've read so many things from so many different schools of thought on the subject, that I think I ended up mixing them together in a big hodge podge of practices.

So it's time to deconstruct....keep my main meditation solely for pure sit down and breathing time, and portion off all the other issues into their own sessions or timeouts during the day.

Thank you much for your help. I can't wait to start applying it.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited May 2010
    "So it's time to deconstruct....keep my main meditation solely for pure sit down and breathing time"
    I think this would be a good start. Keep it simple, don't try to make anything. I just started reading "Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond" by Ajahn Brahm and I have already found it useful. In the first chapter Ajahn Brahm lists two prerequisites before one even starts to concentrate on the breath, cultivating present moment awareness and silent present moment awarenesss. The first obstacle to present moment awareness is the minds tendency to go off in the past or future and the second obstacle to silent present moment awareness is inner speech. He believes being grounded in present moment awareness and silent present moment awarenesss (he gives examples of each) is solid preparation for deeper meditation on the breath. The first 5 chapters can be found free on line here: http://www.quangduc.com/English/Zen/39mindfulness.html
    http://www.quangduc.com/English/Zen/MindfulnessBlissAndBeyondChapters1-5.pdf
    To me it makes a lot of practical sense and would give one a good place to start off well. Just another thing to consider.:)
    Yours in the Dharma,
    Todd
    P.S. I would also consider Listen's advice as very sound:"I do not think you should think of analyzing situations as part of your meditation practice since you are (by your own admission and questions) having trouble with the very basics."
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2010
    My teacher said that meditation techniques could potentially be used in martial arts but it could go all wrong. The person could use the techniques but not work towards weakening devotion to the ego and increasing wisdom and compassion. The result would be that you do not get freedom from suffering and you just become more egoistic and strong. For example there are some very negative people in history who were very strong mentally but that just magnify the suffering they cause to the world.

Not trying to be spooky or mean but it is something to think about.

People who practice buddhism to be peaceful or more adjusted have same issue. At some point your practice needs to be about wisdom and compassion or you will not make that progress that is needed. The needed sacrifices and so forth.

At the same time its not wrong to have a goal of martial arts or peaceful. Its all steps along the way. Though something to think about.
  • edited May 2010
    Two months of meditation is not enough to even begin judging what you could be doing more skillfully. I think the personal experience of figuring out in time how to meditate is part of the point of meditation. Once the basic idea of meditation is established, i.e its purpose, then the journey begins. Your journey is immature, let it grow and you will grow with it. The best way to learn how to meditate is to practice meditation.