Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Did Buddha speak about mental illness?

edited September 2005 in Buddhism Basics
I was just thinking, the buddha's path is very helpfull to most people, but what about the mentally ill? Did buddha ever give an explanation of how one who is mentally ill can be helped through the path? This just came to mind as I've been trying and trying to help my little brother by teaching him about buddhism, and he really seems interested in it, but it's almost impossible for him to change his patterns of behavior and thought since he has aspergers syndrome, a form of high-functioning autism. As anybody with an autistic family member knows, getting them to see outside themselves, or change their thought patterns, is nearly impossible. I can make progress with him, but it takes a year to accomplish what a normal person would in a few days (not just in buddhism, in anything).

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Your question, Mr. D., sent me to search, because I think that it is very important. If our practice is only for the "well", it is not the Dharma which is for all beings. And I had not really considered the effect of disturbance to the system caused by Asperger's/autism or Tourette's.

The following book looks as though it could be useful:
    http://www.hackwriters.com/Tourettes.htm

Thank you for raising the questions. I really look forward to learning from those here who suffer from such impediments to attention.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    I have a good friend who 'suffers' from bi-polar 'dis-ease'... From what I can gather, he's managed to take control, to an extent, of the medication he takes, by supplementing his tablets and counselling sessions with periods of meditation. Both he and his psychiatrist/counsellor seem to think that it's helping and very constructive. What form of meditation he uses, I don't know. But he's not been left to his own devices, so I can only assume it's "approved" and accepted as a positive thing.

PS: Wonderfully interesting link, Simon. Thanks.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    The author is something of a maverick and a bit of a showman but none the worse for that, imho.
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited September 2005
    I am also wondering about this subject, as I have Adult ADD with a strong Hyperactivity component. In my case, with the new meds that have come available in the last several years, would it be considered appropriate for me to start taking them, as I have a hard time concentrating during meditation, especially when I'm really hyper that day.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2005
    bushinoki,

Let me first state that in Buddhism mental illness is considered a physical problem (dealing with the brain) and not a mental or spiritual problem (dealing with the mind).

Taking any medicine is ok if a doctor prescribes it. Medicines for illnesses are always allowed and appropriate if they relieve the symptoms of said illness, or cure it outright.

As for meditation, you can be mindful of the hyperness as well as anything else. I guess it can make sitting meditation difficult so try walking meditation instead. I have also seen many ADD sufferers benefit from art, such as drawing, so try to create a mindfulness meditation on the act of drawing for example. Certain activities can facilitate concentration in ADD sufferers that don't normally work for the average person. Experiement with anything that you find draws your attention and holds it there.

I hope this information helps.

mr-devious,

I am sorry, but I do not know anything about Aspergers syndrome. I wish I could give you some advice to help with teaching your brother about Buddhism. I commend you for trying though. I'm sure that whatever you are doing is an enormous benefit to him no matter what.

Jason
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited September 2005
    I can answer to Aperger's Syndrome. It is a type of Autism, with the most apparent characteristic being antisocial behaviour. Adults with Aspergers are also not capable of handling their own affairs (eg pay bills, balance checkbook), and in more extreme cases, will not obey rules that make no sense to them, which can be alot of rules, because there is no changing the system of logic someone with Asperger's has. Unfortunately, I don't know of any treatments, or any methods that might contribute to the ability to meditate. That is all I can add.
  • edited September 2005
    Well, I can tell you that I have just learned that 'insight meditation' is an absolute no-no for schizophrenia as it is proven to make the symptoms worse. My son has just been diagnosed with it, and in educating myself this week, I was required to read 'Surviving Schizophrenia' (Dr. Torrey). What an eye-opener.

Bye the way...welcome Bushinoki to the forum! ;)
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited September 2005
    I've heard many different things about insight meditation, and I think in their ignorance many western media sources and "experts" get confused between insight and 'transcendental' meditation. TM is considered by many to be a cult-like thing and has really nothing at all to do with buddhism.

I'd be interested to know how much Dr. Torrey knows about true insight meditation. In any case, I don't believe that insight meditation is even possible for someone who hasn't been practicing for many years.

I hope I am not out of line in saying that I'm sorry to hear about your son's diagnosis. I have studied schizophrenia, as it has always been a fascinating subject to me, and it seems that if not dealt with properly, it can be a heavy burden on both the sufferer and his or her family. I hope it is a mild case, and can be managed with medication and therapy.
  • edited September 2005
    Totally not out of line. As a matter of fact, I may even be in error in what I stated earlier...still learning. Thanks for the support. :)
    edited September 2005
    All,

I ran into this today and thought that it might be helpful. It's a Dhamma talk by Ajahn Brahmavamso entitled "Buddhism And Mental Illness":

http://www.bswa.org/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?cid=4&lid=222

Jason
  • edited September 2005
    (I can't seem to download that link.)

I don't know much about Buddhism, but aren't we given opportunities to grow, to be compassionate, when we meet such people? My family used to joke...that I was a 'nut magnet'. The mentally ill, the emotionally needy seem to find my ear...or maybe I am just the only one who will listen.

I am finding that with my son being diagnosed with schizophrenia, and watching the hell he has been spiraling into this past year, has given me a new perspective on the mentally ill. There is a depth of grief, and compassion for him as an individual that has risen out of it. I can only think that there is something really...sacred...about people that are mentally ill...I am so grateful for the lessons.
    edited September 2005
    Sorry harlan,

It's an MPEG Layer 3 Audio file. I can download it myself, so I'm not sure why you can't. Perhaps Brian may know.

Jason