Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Insufficient Motivation?

nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran
edited May 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I practice the Eightfold Path because it makes me happier, kinder, stronger and more mindful person in the here-and-now. Others around me seem to appreciate this better self. If this path leads to liberation, that's icing on the cake.
This seems to run counter to the Mahayana notion of becoming a boddhisattva and guiding others to Nirvana.
Is my motivation insufficient? Am I missing the point of Buddhism entirely?

Comments

• edited May 2010
    nakazcid wrote: »
    I practice the Eightfold Path because it makes me happier, kinder, stronger and more mindful person in the here-and-now. Others around me seem to appreciate this better self. If this path leads to liberation, that's icing on the cake.
    This seems to run counter to the Mahayana notion of becoming a boddhisattva and guiding others to Nirvana.

Your motivation is fine. First we have to pull ourselves out of the mud before we are able to do the same for others.

• thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited May 2010
    nakazcid wrote: »

I think you are not at all missing the point:)

Remember, that the idea of a Bodhisattva is particular to one school of Buddhism.

As I understand it the idea of a Bodhisattva is about making the vow to help others, but you can see from other kinds of Buddhism that helping others is very fundamental to all kinds of Buddhism. That is, the spirit of the Bodhisattva arises by practising Dharma, whether or not it is formalised in the Mahayana way.

namaste
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I like the idea of helping others on their journey, but truth is, I'm not in a position to do that, as I can't even help myself first.

There could be a number of things I could do for other people that wouldn't require me giving any sort of "advice" to them tho, and those are things that are worthwhile no matter who you are and at what point you are in your own journey.
  • edited May 2010
    being a bodhisattva is very simple
    you just cultivate the loving wish to benefit others, and generate bodhichitta, and also practice bodhicitta in a practical manner, volunteering, saying hi to people, giving compliments, extending the hand of friendship, abstaining from criticizing other people, just doing things which in general which promote love and understanding and awakening
    the eightfold path is vital to the bodhisattva path