Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Lay ordination?

nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran
edited May 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I recently came across an article where an Episcopal bishop had received Buddhist "lay ordination". Digging a little deeper, I found that he had taken part in a Zen ceremony called jukai. From what I can determine, it appears that the main point of this ceremony is taking the Five Precepts.
I received the Five Precepts from a Tibetan monk in a formal ceremony. Does this make me an "ordained" Buddhist? I do not wear monk's robes, nor do I have a shaved head, nor do I carry a begging bowl.
I don't want to get caught up in labels, but can someone clarify this concept of lay ordination for me?

Comments

• Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited May 2010
    From what I understand lay ordination is more of a Zen thing.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2010
    No.
    I officially Took Refuge at my local Monastery in May 2008 and recited not only Refuge in the Triple gem, but the Five precepts.

That doesn't make me an ordained person, any more than reciting the Credo makes the Dalai Lama a Roman Catholic.
  • edited May 2010
    From what I understand lay ordination is more of a Zen thing.
    Not exclusively.
    There is also the ngakpa tradition in Tibetan Buddhism.
  • ManiMani Veteran
    edited May 2010
    In some traditions, when one takes the five precepts, they also receive "lay ordination". Essentially this means that one has received these precepts from a member of the ordained sangha, and is considered a "layperson".

In the Chinese tradition for example, those lay people who have received the precepts are given a precept robe to wear over their black robe at functions and ceremonies.

This is all much different of course, from an ordained monastic, who generally has 250 or so precepts to adhere to.
  • edited May 2010
    I think the teachings of Buddhism as a way of life has lost its original value since several hundreds years ago. Laybuddhist ordination at present time is important to revive its concept for the well beings. And it is important and meaningful for the ceremonial to be conducted with brief dharma talks on the concept of ordination. Laybuddhist ordination is just the beginning of the learning path towards liberation. The level of attainment is depending on ones "awakening-lisationism" :D