Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Suggested readintgs in Theravada

nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran
edited May 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I've been a Mahayana practictioner for a 2 or 3 years now, and have had some doubts about Mahayana practice. The goal of practicing in order to become a bodhisatva and saving all sentient beings seems quite a lot for little ol' me to take on.

I also have issues with esoteric practices. I like transparency in any organization I have dealings with, and I have concerns about vajrayana and Tantric practices.

Which leads me to Theravada. If anyone has any readings that would be helpful as an introduction, particularly for a not-so-knowledgable Mahayana practitioner, I'd be grateful.

One minor concern I have with Theravada is that I've heard it doesn't encourage meditation and spiritual practice for non-monastics. If I've heard a false rumor, please correct me.

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2010
    Concerning online resources, I'd advise Access to Insight, especially their section for suggested entry points to their site entitled Beginnings. It also has a sizable library of books, essays and sutta translations.

Concerning books, I'd advise Bhikkhu Bodhi's The Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Majjhima Nikaya, Richard Gombrich's How Buddhism Began: The Conditioned Genesis of the Early Teachings, and the co-authored Buddhist Religions: A Historical Introduction.
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited May 2010
    nakazcid wrote: »
    One minor concern I have with Theravada is that I've heard it doesn't encourage meditation and spiritual practice for non-monastics. If I've heard a false rumor, please correct me.
    As a Mahayana Buddhist, I can only tell you what I've observed. Here in the US, much of effort of many Theravadin and Theravadin trained teachers is devoted to providing meditation instruction for non-monastics. In Sri Lanka, Theravada has evolved towards what is often called "Protestant Buddhism", which is Buddhism practiced by lay people, with less emphasis on monks.

There may be countries where social expectations discourage meditation by non-monastics; i.e. no one will take you seriously if you're not wearing a saffron robe. The only thing I can say for certain is that that isn't true everywhere.
    edited May 2010

Therevada today is very practice oriented. I'm mainly familiar with Thai Theravada, and I can only speak from personal experience, but I've always been encouraged to practice meditation. I think what you're talking about, however, deals with Theravada before the resurgence of meditation.

There was a time not that long ago when it was generally beleived that it's no longer possible to become an arahant, that we're living in a "degenerate age," therefore monks usually spent most of their time studying the texts. Both monastics and non-monastics alike thought it was better to study the texts and to make merit than to practice meditation. But thanks to monks like Ajahn Sao, Ajahn Mun, Mahasi Sayadaw, etc., who decided to start putting the Buddha's teachings on meditation back into practice, meditation has gained in popularity once again.

It's true that there are still some who hold this view — especially those who consider the Pali commentaries to be authoritative — but in general, I think you'll find that a lot of Theravadin teachers stress the importance of meditation. The Thai Forest Tradition is especially well-known for their focus on meditation, and if that's what you're interested in, I suggest starting there first.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Jason thanks for the links:uphand: To the OP I have found that Theravada, having rececently decided that this was the Buddhist school I feel most drawn to and comfortable with, strikes me a no BS kinda bare bones, early taught Buddhism. I like the focus that is placed on the Suttas (I think having a good foundation in the Suttas is instrumental in practice) and their meditation practice. I just got these two books; "Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond" by Ajahn Brahm and "Everything Arises, Everything Falls Away" by Ajahn Chah. The first I have started reading and like it very much. I have also found this monastery http://www.abhayagiri.org/main/ that is not too far (about 4 hours from me) that I am going to contact and see what kind of practice I may begin with them. I don't have a problem with Mahayana practice, having started out years ago studying and practicing Zen, it's just that Theravada suits me better. All the best.
    Yours in the Dharma,
    Todd
    edited May 2010
    Jason thanks for the links:uphand: To the OP I have found that Theravada, having rececently decided that this was the Buddhist school I feel most drawn to and comfortable with, strikes me a no BS kinda bare bones, early taught Buddhism. I like the focus that is placed on the Suttas (I think having a good foundation in the Suttas is instrumental in practice) and their meditation practice. I just got these two books; "Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond" by Ajahn Brahm and "Everything Arises, Everything Falls Away" by Ajahn Chah. The first I have started reading and like it very much. I have also found this monastery http://www.abhayagiri.org/main/ that is not too far (about 4 hours from me) that I am going to contact and see what kind of practice I may begin with them. I don't have a problem with Mahayana practice, having started out years ago studying and practicing Zen, it's just that Theravada suits me better. All the best.
    Yours in the Dharma,
    Todd

Ajahn Passano and Ajahn Amaro are good teachers. I also suggest checking out the Insight Meditation Center/ Sati Center if it's not too out of your way. They have some good things going on there too.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Jason wrote: »
    Ajahn Passano and Ajahn Amaro are good teachers. I also suggest checking out the Insight Meditation Center/ Sati Center if it's not too out of your way. They have some good things going on there too.
    Jason,
    Thanks for those wonderful links.:) Both the monastery and the IMC are some distance from me (I live in Douglas City, an hour west from Redding) but I believe that they would be worth the effort. The Sati center seems to be primarily about education in the Dharma and it would appear there are several studies I could undertake from home.
    Yours in the Dharma,
    Todd
    edited May 2010
    Jason,
    Thanks for those wonderful links.:) Both the monastery and the IMC are some distance from me (I live in Douglas City, an hour west from Redding) but I believe that they would be worth the effort. The Sati center seems to be primarily about education in the Dharma and it would appear there are several studies I could undertake from home.
    Yours in the Dharma,
    Todd

Definitely worth it. My advice would be to try and attend one of the classes/talks by Thanissaro. Not only does he give excellent talks, but he can also give you some practical advice regarding meditation. (He begins every talk with at least a 40 min meditation session.) The best part of going is being able to ask questions, especially after the talk and meal when it's a bit more informal.
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Concerning online resources, I'd advise Access to Insight, especially their section for suggested entry points to their site entitled Beginnings. It also has a sizable library of books, essays and sutta translations.

Thanks for the links Jason. I noticed that Access to Insight had an iPhone app, so I went ahead and downloaded it. I've browsed a few suttas, mostly about metta. If the opportunity arises, I'll continue my reading tomorrow at work on my phone. I'm particularly interested in finishing the Dhammapada, which I began a couple of days ago.

Unfortunately, there don't appear to be any Theravada groups near me. The only trace of Theravada I'm aware of in town is a Thai restaurant that has a life size bronze Buddha placed prominently in the lobby. Do you suppose they would take it amiss if I ask if any of them are practitioners, and if so, where they meet?
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Hmmm... to be honest, I think these might be a little intimidating to someone just starting out learning about Theravada. I think a more inviting introduction might be Glenn Wallis' Basic Teachings of the Buddha. There's also a very good anthology called Early Buddhist Discourses by John J. Holder.
    edited May 2010
    Thanks for the links Jason. I noticed that Access to Insight had an iPhone app, so I went ahead and downloaded it. I've browsed a few suttas, mostly about metta. If the opportunity arises, I'll continue my reading tomorrow at work on my phone. I'm particularly interested in finishing the Dhammapada, which I began a couple of days ago.

Unfortunately, there don't appear to be any Theravada groups near me. The only trace of Theravada I'm aware of in town is a Thai restaurant that has a life size bronze Buddha placed prominently in the lobby. Do you suppose they would take it amiss if I ask if any of them are practitioners, and if so, where they meet?

Not at all. Ask them if there's a wat (temple) nearby.
    edited May 2010
    Glow wrote: »
    Hmmm... to be honest, I think these might be a little intimidating to someone just starting out learning about Theravada. I think a more inviting introduction might be Glenn Wallis' Basic Teachings of the Buddha. There's also a very good anthology called Early Buddhist Discourses by John J. Holder.

Perhaps, but I don't really think so. I started with Food for the Heart and The Middle Length Discourses myself.